What do you look for when buying a racket or apparel?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by local_sean, Aug 20, 2021.

?

What do you look for when buying products

Poll closed Aug 27, 2021.
  1. Design - all over print

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Design - minimal print

18.2%
  3. Technology

54.5%
  4. Popularity

9.1%
  5. Material/Quality

90.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. local_sean

local_sean New Member

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I find it interesting to see the badminton landscape shift to a better place of popularity especially in Australia. And with that shift comes the evolving style of rackets and apparel designs.

Super interested to hear what people actually like and look for when buying badminton rackets and apparel :)

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Specially for Racket, i would like to add feel. I like heavy & head heavy feel of racket. So normally i would try swinging around at the shop before buying yet for design im not much care for it.

local_sean likes this.
  3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Apparel: I have the same shirts and shorts for years. Yonex. polyester, lasts forever. I like them, so i'm not in the market for clothes.

Socks: They wear out faster. I like thick cotton socks. Not thick enough, and I get blisters. Any synthetic additions, and they slide in my shoes.

Shoes: I have narrow feet. Yonex shoes tend to be narrow. Perfect. my last three pair of shoes have been the same yonex model. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Racket: medium balance, medium stiff. And I want it to feel fast, so lightweight, or some sort of aerodynamic frame helps. I try to find the cheapest racket that fits that description. 1. because I'm not particularly rich. and 2. because lighter rackets tend to be more fragile and all it takes is one miscommunication and a fast swing, and the racket is broken. So I'd rather have 3 rackets for £150, than just 1.

local_sean likes this.
  4. Shuttle goes whoosh

Shuttle goes whoosh Regular Member

most important aspect of rackets for me is how it feels when i use it. can i generate power with it over extended periods? how quick can it be as a relation to the power? hows the feedback, etc? how precise can i be? rest is secondary (price points, brand, etc)

5. local_sean

local_sean New Member

Thanks for your feedback, Budi. What about when shopping online? Have you ever tried or would you never buy badminton goods online?

6. local_sean

local_sean New Member

Wow, thanks for your comment, SnowWhite. You have definitely taken a lot of thought when purchasing with is awesome! I am definitely very considerate when purchasing anything also. Not sure about you but with shirts from general badminton brands like Yonex, Victor etc., I find it a little stiff sometimes and at times restrictive. I prefer cotton tees so I don't buy badminton brands unless for tournaments or look for something with a little more stretch (elastine mixed with the polyester). Do you notice that with the shirts you have when playing?

7. local_sean

local_sean New Member

In a time like now, a lot of countries are in lockdown, would you process of consideration change with purchasing products online? Thanks Shuttle goes whoosh for commenting your process and thoughts :)

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

usually i just buy apparel from online shop. My judgment are for the look & design like shirt, pants, wrist band, grip. For tech stuff im not much care for it.
    But for shoes & racket i would prefer offline so i could feel it myself. My 1st mistake & learn the hard way from it are when im buying AVP. Read alot of good review about it & without 2nd tought buy it online. It come but end up dislike it. Glad Apacs price are not killing my pocket so well, it just become my collection in my bag & spare racket when a friend borrow my racket.

9. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

My approach is little different, first I read all the reviews then I try to do the dry swing of those racket to see how justified with the reviews cos each people have unique strength and skills. When I do the dry swing of it I see how manurearable the racket is. May be depending on the crowd inside the shop I will try few strokes as well. To me the swing, feel of the swing is important.. as a quick Sneek peek I would see if anyone has give the same racket for stringing. I would try the strung version of the racket for dry swing for the feel. Once u grip and string it. The same racket becomes another version so obviously I will want to see that feel before buying it or rather getting disappointed!!

Finally I will go for the best suited one based on my swing and feel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. local_sean

local_sean New Member

I think rackets will always be a tricky product. It isn't until you hit with it, you'll know whether you like it or not and then there is the string option/tension also. But completely understand and have gone through this wayyy too many times in my past. Does Apacs not offer returns/refund?

11. local_sean

local_sean New Member

Thanks Balaji! I'm definitely the same except I don't really look at reviews because it doesn't come to mind... Feel strung is definitely the test way to get a sense of the racket. How do you initially be interested in a racket? And thoughts when it comes to buying goods online?

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

nope, dont think there is some kind of try before buy service around my area. Let alone Apacs, not even Victor, Lining, or Yonex offer this kind of services.

13. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

The reason I read the reviews and ask the experts is there will always be someone who have tested the racket before you do.. forum is a good way to get a generalised review cos u will have a mix of beginners, intermediate and experts sharing their opinion. Whereas if u go with YouTube reviews 80% to 90% reviewers will be intermediate and above, their way of playing wil be different and your playing play will be different!

Well the initial interest comes based on my playing skills, I.e where my strength is in the court. For example Basically I am a mid and backcourt player, I just don’t smash always my skills lies in making the opponent lift to the mid court and then smash, during the rally I tend to cover almost full court depending the opponent..I anticipate more for next short..

So based on the above I select my racket so, a slight head heavy, good power, occasional front court , drive perfect..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

The shirts I have are simple plain polo's with raglan sleeves (and fit my frame perfectly). No patterns or weird cuts, and since they are polyester, they are very light. It's almost like I'm playing shirtless. I don't like cotton because it feels heavier, and it has more friction with the skin, especially when it gets wet from sweat. Plus they don't last as long, and need more care to be kept in good condition.

Something I didn't mention before: I like my shorts to be shorter than the current fashion. Almost like they would wear back in the 80's (a little longer maybe). I don't like the extra fabric clinging to my legs. It doesn't feel as free when playing.

15. Shuttle goes whoosh

Shuttle goes whoosh Regular Member

possibly though where I currently play, everyone has everything so its just simple to ask them to borrow for a rally or two to get a quick feel.