XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-10 (2nd August 2021) WD, MS Bronze & Gold Medal Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 1, 2021.

1. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

Chen Long vs LZJ was a great match.
    So was VA vs SYQ
    AA vs Ginting

All of these were awesome.

2. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

CL was injured since group stage, according to one source...

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, I see. Thanks for posting. No wonder he wasn't stepping up his game or injecting pace much even when the situation called for it. And this matter is not to be made public before the match or tournament is over or his opponent(s) would try to exploit it and gain a psychological advantage at least.

4. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

achievement unlocked:
    _ taiwan won gold
    _ tai won major medal
    _ vik won in a tournament which mo attended
    _ indonesia won wd. Now they have won at least 1 gold in each category (ms, ws, wd, xd, md)

badito, visor, ah_lim and 1 other person like this.
  5. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Just seen the replay of Gold matches today.

VA was too powerful and precise with his smashes and though CL has good defence that he showed against Anthony but Victor is a beast with the power smash with precision and good coverage of court. He also had a good defence against CL smashes, with his long arms. The only person who troubles VA is his fellow Dane Anders.

WD - Pleased that the Indonesian women won, they played a superb game.

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

just found this talk between Imelda Wiguna and Yuni Kartika, pre-final match

full in Indonesian, but is actually very deep. Talking the technical and non-technical aspect of Greys/Apri game, as well as a bit of analysis about CQC/JYF

7. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Late to watch and comment, but what a story for Men's Singles. Kevin Cordon making it all the way to the semifinals in astounding fashion, before being bested by an in form Ginting. Either of these two getting to the semis deserved the bronze, but Ginting played much better in the match so his medal is well earned.

Chen Long played well to get to the finals, but just couldn't seem to shake off Axelsen's steep and powerful smashes and quick attacks. He's earned all 3 colors now, completing the medal trifecta, and graciously offered the shirt swap and many kind words to the winner.

Axelsen...what can I say. Played awesome in the finals, beat Shi Yu Qi earlier and now Chen Long in astounding fashion. Very very well deserved and we could all feel for him the moment he started crying.

It is bittersweet that badminton has ended for the 2020 (2021) Olympics, but there'll be many fond memories and match replays to go through in the future I'm sure. Now..if only they adopted the table tennis model of implementing team events, we'd get more badminton events to watch.

At the end of the day, I'm glad the games (at least for badminton) were not marred by covid cases which could have possibly jeopardized players' chances of advancing. I hope everyone followed strict safety and health protocols to ensure they did not catch the virus before, during, or after their events. Safe flight home to all the players, coaches, staff, media, commentators, event/venue/logistics staff, officials, umpires, service judges, linespeople, and everyone else involved in making this happen and a big thank you for running the games in the Olympic spirit.

Cheung and ah_lim like this.
  8. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

[/QUOTE]
    If this is actually true, this greatly increases my already huge respect for CL's performance in this Olympics.

He had to work hard to win against LZJ and CTC, and doing this with a serious blister had to be hell on earth.

His movement against both ASG and VA in the semis/finals looked good, with no sign of that blister, at least to me.

Anybody who tried to play with a blister will know how painful this can be and how hard it is to concentrate on your shots, with the pain at every little step (even if it is only a small one).

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

If this is actually true, this greatly increases my already huge respect for CL's performance in this Olympics.

He had to work hard to win against LZJ and CTC, and doing this with a serious blister had to be hell on earth.

His movement against both ASG and VA in the semis/finals looked good, with no sign of that blister, at least to me.

Anybody who tried to play with a blister will know how painful this can be and how hard it is to concentrate on your shots, with the pain at every little step (even if it is only a small one).[/QUOTE]
    ouch!

Anks likes this.
  10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Think GreysiaApriani Gold victory is the most upset . You sort of know that Axelsen,CYF, WangHuang is always there and thereabouts while LeeWang won 3 in a row. Dont think GreysiaApriani is in contention at all.

11. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    ouch![/QUOTE]

Thats why for me he is Sir Chen Long..he is in the group of Elite Legends !!

Theres not a better feeling for me as a badminton fan when some players I dont expect end up winning over me with their performance and records..for eg. TTY I always thought she would never win a Major medal but she proved me wrong now Im bound to respect her..what a beauty..similarly,Sir CL was already in my Legends club with his fine record but honestly I wasnt expecting him to even reach the Bronze Medal podium but he proved me wrong and once again proved he is a Champ...Love it !

May God bless Sir CL and TTY all the happiness and good life they deserve !

Thanks for sharing.

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Team INA returns home with 1 Gold Medal from Greysia Polii/Apriyani Rahayu and 1 Bronze Medal from Anthony Sinisuka Ginting. I would say that both are unexpected medals as we have not won any medal from WD and the last players to win any medal from MS was Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro in Athens 2004 (17 years ago)! Ginting has yet to peak (will turn 25 this October) and many more titles are expected from him!

Viktor Axelsen deserves the MS Gold Medal as he completes his major titles collection: Olympics (2020, to add to the Bronze he won in Rio in 2016), World Championships (2017, to add to the Bronze that he won in 2014), All-England (2020), European Championships (2016, 2018) and the various Team Events: Thomas Cup (2016) and the European Men's (since 2012) & Mixed Team (since 2015) Championships. He also lived up to his potential since winning the World Junior Championships in 2010! The other BIG titles that he has won include: World Super Series Finals (2016, 2017) and the two Thailand Open Super 1000 tournaments held earlier this year in Bangkok. It seems that Viktor does excel at the Major tournaments! He will still likely be around for Paris 2024 as he's only 27 this year!

As for Chen Long, credits to him in completing the full medal collection from the Olympics (Bronze in 2012, Gold in 2016, and Silver in 2020)!

magnumcyclonex, CLELY, Cheung and 3 others like this.
  13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hi too! Indeed, it has been a very long time as I didn't log in to BC for the past 1-2 years due to the lack of badminton tourneys!
    Every Indonesian is so proud to have finally witnessed a WD Gold Medallist in Olympics for sure.

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Medal Tally of Top 8
    1.China - 6
    2. Taipei -2
    3.Indonesia - 2
    4.Denmark - 1
    5.India -1
    5.Japan-1
    5.Korea-1
    5.Malaysia-1

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually Ginting's bronze surprised me less than CL's silver, if we're ignoring the draw and simply look at the overall result...also, I saw him as a slight favorite against CL, imop he has the weapons necessary to score points on his own volition, but it seems VA's angles are more of a problem for CL than AG's overall higher pace...

On a side note, I find it odd that everybody and their mother was complaining about AA dropping second games after winning the first and feeling the pace, yet no one felt it was an 'unsportsmanlike' or 'boring' tactic when Kevin Cordon did the exact same against Mark Caljouw. Just to be clear, I don't mean that Cordon should be criticized for it, but that maybe some people should have a hard think whether they want to be hypocrites and also whether it's necessary to rage about this kind of thing, especially since I only saw AA doing this shortly after recovering from Covid, which might very well have been a major factor.
    Read some unpleasant comment over the last week how people hoped he wouldn't make it far and such...maybe cheer on your favorites, especially in the Olympic Games, which are supposed to be a special, joyous occasion and to bridge gaps, not widen them :)

SnowWhite likes this.
  16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

As you are from Indonesia, I want to know is there any post match interviews(indepth) of Kevin/Marcus and Ashan/Setiawan and Jonathan Christie.
    Just curious to know what kevin has to say.

17. esppy

esppy Regular Member

@Biglever @visor @Quentin11 @jim4wd and all you out there wanting to find out more on what was said during the finals of OG MS

This is what was conversed between CL and his coach.

You guys asked, liked it, and contributed it.

I decided to go one further and transcript it word for word as best I can, along with some emphasis of mine in brackets.
    There are still some I cannot make out due to them not facing the mic or too far etc.

Non labelled lines come from the coach
    CL in bold
    Brackets for what I think they are referring to. ( ).

FIRST INTERVAL :
    ...his ball doesn't come up (I guess he's saying Axelsen doesn't lift)
    your hand has to be fast
    have to defend both sides
    if you can stand up, try to stand up
    a standing defense
    when you go near the net, pay attention to what kind of shot Axelsen wants (is going to do)
    he also tries to catch your backhand shot
    CL: (?) I try to trap him but he push far and long, long distance
    yes, (his body is long aka tall) one step and he gets to attack
    this kind of ball you have to play with idea, an intention
    don't panic in your service situation
    CL : don't say already, don't say already ah! *wipes face*

BEFORE SECOND SET, 2 MIN INTERVAL
    overall you must make him uncomfortable
    that's it, believe in yourself,
    CL: there's no way back
    correct
    CL: :this is the last match, the last match
    go and fight with him until the end
    CL: mhm
    believe in yourself, be the person who dare to persevere to the end
    CL: good (basically means okay, will do)

SECOND SET INTERVAL
    when the rally gets long, he doesn't have much chance to attack you
    at this time, your mental state has to remain normal (calm)
    CL: because why I am forcing myself to attack tightly (constantly), I keep attacking, he keeps pushing
    correct, that's why at this time you need to set up the rally, start the rotation (of working the corners of the court)
    your mentality has to be normal, how you should play, you play,
    doesn't mean I have to kill the person (with every shot)
    overhead area (mumbled)... give him a flat shot or block the shot with a high angle or trajectory (think LCW high net shot,highest point of the cock at your side, then drops steeply near the net),
    gives you more time to observe his shot
    CL: the ball, he (Axelsen) brings it down... very difficult to defend *eats banana*
    yes, he smashes well, this we can do nothing about it, ya,
    high quality shots are normal, he wants to battle with you to the end
    CL: ok no matter, (jumbled) *keeps towel*

Hope this helps!

18. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

^ lol.... *eats banana*

While watching the match, it seemed CL didn't have any ideas to try to push Axelsen around and find any weak spots. The conversation and tone with the coach was of a worried one. Like, what do I do, nothing is working?

Axelsen was clearly in form and dominating a lot of the rallies. He took chances and those paid off. Obviously CL's injury probably played a factor in his mobility, but it was probably the mental part that CL faced the most.

#298 magnumcyclonex, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    esppy and kwun like this.
  19. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Lol, just doing what I can to provide a visual cue as to where the convo is at for peeps who don't understand Mandarin.

And yes I agree with you that nothing was working for CL during that match, Axelsen removed the netting part of the game by full lifting it to baseline, only engaging more when the championship is about to end, 2-3 points nearing the end. He neutralizes Chen Long's set up for his attack, and CL has to attack more from the rear baseline more than the front baseline, and Axelsen was confident in his defense to undo that full range attack.

Chen Long found that from overhead left rear cross court smash to Axelsen backhand side worked, and he just blindy stuck to it, you can only fool Viktor once, subsequent times came back even if the return quality wasn't great. But it came back nonetheless. He couldn't end it and now has to traverse the longest distance on court to retrieve the return shot.

CL wise, he prefers to serve, rally and open up the gap, then assault. Axelsen on the other hand, serves, jump, attack. Feels almost doubles' game like to rush the rally for a result without a tempo build up.
    Doesn't give CL enough time to get into the game as he mentioned before. As he himself said in an interview before, he tries to walk around more (visualize the next rally) and puts hand up to delay the tempo, and this was more apparent during his match with Chou TC.

Not to have a go at the Chinese coach, but this time around, I guess it's damned if he does, damned it he doesn't.
    By that I mean, do you actually teach him or give him your differing/changed ideas/observations during the interval (specific instructions on where to exploit) when he is a twice World Champ and the current (now ex) Olympic Champion,
    OR
    Do you try to psych him up since your player is already here in the finals, be the emotional pillar and all, even if your player is trailing and/or your pre game match strategy/analysis is not going as planned? Taking a step back it feels like he tried both, and didn't instead to focus on one aspect, maybe that might have a miniscule contribution to the end result?
    Must be tough to choose within that minute...

By no means degrading Axelsen's achievement, but I feel that
    This gold medal felt like Axelsen building a ladder to climb to pluck it down, more than him jumping high and in that moment, grabbed and yanked it off the tree, with all the hot names basically crashing out (Kento) or lack of match fitness and alertness (China has had no international exposure since 2020), he was the most prepared and was in the right form where it mattered (won AE, had the most exposure prior to OG with the Thailand leg) and even got COVID where he had time to recover *AFTER* gaining court time. Even his worst moment was timed well.
    It was a moment in the making more than the thrilling last second sudden twist, and he deserves every bit of it.

20. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Several translations already for Chen Long during the final...
    :)
    Perhaps some Danish fellows can help us explain what K. Jonassen said/briefed to V.Axelsen during the final?

dood1234, Woesi and terrynguyen121988 like this.