Most overrated player according to you

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

You can voice your opinion on this topic about any player from any discipline, be it an active player or a retired veteran.

For me, It's Chou Tien Chen. His technical skills and attacking game have not improved at all since his 2015-16 days. He relies too much on his physicality and endurance to grind his opponents down.

Number two, I would say, Gideon Marcus. He does everything 6.5/10 but if you go solely by the YouTube opinion, you would think he is some sort of unstoppable force.

#1 Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Suilven and rhoder like this.
  2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

ya, chou is very overrated

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

CTC, he really needs a coach if he's to progress further. Otherwise he's just wasting his talent.

Gideon, imho he's unfortunately blamed unfairly because of having to cover for his partner who is more like the female counterpart of an XD pair, albeit an extremely good one but who plays extravagant shots and occasionally makes mistakes that create huge gaps for Gideon to cover. Eventually in MD play, Gideon gets tired of smashing and running around, and he is eventually targeted by the smart pairs until his attack and defence wilts. Of course by then Sukamuljo will be staring daggers at Gideon and they just completely implode together, eg. BAC 2019 final against Endo/Yuta (21-3 in the second game?!) and the recent OG QF against Chia/Soh.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#3 visor, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Agreed on CTC. Partially disagree on Sukamulyo as a female counterpart of a XD pair.

I and @swsh were discussing about CTC sometimes back in the normal era. He was telling me how CTC's current physique may be surpassing even 2008 LD's standard. I acknowledged his Impressive built and godly endurance but I left a remark that CTC still can't penetrate elite opponents and often gets outmanoeuvred,thus gored, when push comes to the shove.

His recent outing against a 7.5/10 Long Chen was shocking in terms of generating enough opportunities for smesh.

Worst of all was his last year's All England Final against Axelsen where his attack was as toothless as that of an old old man on his very last day.

Proceeded to lose 10 and 11.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

I have always believed that Kevin will thrive with a playmaker as his partner, a sort of Zhang Nan, Chai Biao, LYD type player.

I don't think he necessarily needs a bomber from the rear court. He needs someone who can tolerate an onslaught and keep the tactical dynamics of the rally moving.

6. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I'd say the perfect pairing for him would be a dynamic back court player with a more deadly arsenal from everywhere around the court. A young Ahsan is about the only one I can think of, or maybe Zhang Nan with a more powerful smash. And if not that, a back court player with an unlimited ability to tank and defend. Someone like Jung Jae Sung.

I definitely believe you need someone who's a threat from the back, it's just so important in MD to have power from the back for those easy points. Gideon, while his power is decent, has no variety from the back which makes it easy to defend. He either goes for a drop, or a power smash to the body at around chest to torso level.

#6 ChocoChipWaffle, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    LenaicM, rhoder and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  7. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

back on topic. how about all the current first ranked player/s who completely failed to medal.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Momota had a freak car accident and may still be physically impaired by that accident. Let's be honest here, he will never open to admit that he is still nursing an injury from that accident because that will be an open invitation to even more inspired opponents. Deep down I feel, he still has something damaged.

And we talked about Gideon in detail above. Are you implying that Sukamulyo is overrated?

Sumanth99 likes this.
  9. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Why is there this “consensus” that Momota still has something damaged? I can’t distinguish between an actual issue vs a lack of match fitness for his losses in AE and OG. It’s not completely out of the question that he had a lack of match fitness, with his opponents powerful smashes, led to the disruption of defensive rhythm and the loss. I’m not saying there’s definitely not an actual issue, but seems like a notable amount of people are instantly gravitating to a “he’s hiding injury for whatever reason”, it’s peculiar to me.

#9 rhoder, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Put it this way, lack of match fitness affected every player in the world for the past year. Sure some were able to make it to the Thai leg 2020 and some to AE 2021. But Japanese players seemed the most affected for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

rhoder likes this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

Dude, Momota was lying unconscious on the road bleeding a river(Source : Kento Momota thread) and the driver straight up died from the impact of the crash.

It was definitely a lucky-to-be-alive-let-alone-playing type of accident.

Ballschubser likes this.
  12. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

indeed.

13. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

It’s definitely unfortunate, but it’s been 1.5 years since the accident and the man himself said he recovered well and able to go for his best in the OG. It’s clear he wasn’t match fit, but it’s not apparent that he had an actual physical issue.

14. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

For me Jonathan Christie. Always in my mind, there was a constant itch whenever he was compared to Taufik Hidayat .
    I would say it was pure luck that he won Asian games when his compatriot had to work very hard in that tournament only to lose the title to christie.
    Even juniors had started beating him. I dont think he has the game

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Agreed. Super inconsistent. Great Attacking player on his day. Error prone machine the rest
    364 days.

16. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Personally I think Chen Qingchen is overrated. She was touted as the next great doubles player at a young age. But I think apart from energy, no part of her game really stood out. Yifan did most of the heavy lifting for the partnership.

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Yeah. Lately playing like a statue in the front court. No interception, no blocks, no chops.

Her development has stagnated.

18. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

judging from recent appearance, CQC did picked something up...she is now amongst the best at it along with CM and Boe.

WhiteStringJunkie and lurker like this.
  19. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

i don't think the international viewers rate him high, maybe only from his home country. So i don't count him as an overrated player

if someone worth 7,5 but ppl rate him 9, it's overrated, rate 6, its underrated.

chou was very consistent the time that mo dominated. But mo was a stable 9, chou was a stable 7,5. Anton is an unstable between 6 to 9,5. I rate anton way above chou, anton is very underrated

Baddyforall likes this.
  20. Nine Tailed Fox

Woahhhh! Antonsen 9.5? Why?