Why no Olympic team event for badminton ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Aug 2, 2021.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The paddles in the canoe are looking more similar to a badminton racket than the ones used in table tennis.

In case you haven't noticed, we are waaay past that point already. Brisbane was given the Olympics 2032 because it was the only remaining candidate. Not even the richest countries are willing to afford holding the Olympics anymore it seems. But that again is a completely different and unrelated discussion.

2. Airos

Airos Regular Member

To be fair - when I think about it - India's chances of medalling will increase if there was say a men's team and women's team and possibly a mixed team event.
    So I probably shouldn't mind a team event despite what I said.

But there is a difference with sports like swimming, athletics or canoeing(I don't know much about it).
    First of all, these sports have "burst" events which are over in minutes. And it is not that hard for a player to compete in multiple events.
    Secondly, the events themselves are quite different. So there is no trouble motivating yourself.
    For example, in swimming there is - freestyle, butterfly, breast stroke etc. In athletics there is - 100m, 200m etc.

In team badminton events though - you still play the same events. An MS plays MS, whether it is for team or inividual.
    So I feel it will be challenging both physically and motivationally.

#22 Airos, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  3. viver

viver Regular Member

It took a very long time for badminton to be accepted into the Olympics. I do not know the reasons, but feel it must be tied with economic (and political?) reasons. Here in Canada, I have not seen badminton though the commentators did mention about the Canadian players progress during the games.
    CBC did however broadcast the Table Tennis Individual Men's Finals live. Why? I really do not know the reasons behind the decision.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Cheung, speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  5. Shuttle goes whoosh

Shuttle goes whoosh Regular Member

Canada does have a considerable Asian population now so it makes sense for CBC to broadcast table tennis towards that demographic and also because table tennis, like badminton, is fun at all levels of play!

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Personally I have always felt team events/leagues are the way to go/grow badminton but when it comes to the Olympics they really want to limit the number of individual participants. After all they have to be housed and fed as well so it would be interesting to know how many of the table tennis players didn't qualify individually? Time-wise there seems to be no reason it can't be done as indeed table tennis started on the same day.
    At best you could do a mixed team event I would think ...

Football should be scrapped though, saw 22 medals per team going out again today (maybe even more for staff but not sure, which is probably even more ridiculous as no other sport get's this in the Olympics afaik).
    For women's football it feels like the FIFA Club World Cup to the Champions League trophy and for the men it's nothing more than a glorified youth tournament, not the biggest prize in sports ...
    More medals to be distributed towards other sports/ events.

7. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Perhaps they feel there's not enough resting time, especially for the individual winners? Axelsen/TTY/Polii/etc just played a full tournament and with minimal rest they now have to play another tournament. The injury risk is real here.

Also, they now have to house and fed hundreds of people for much longer period of time. They might just think it's not worth it.

8. viver

viver Regular Member

I am quite happy that CBC decided to broadcast the table tennis finals and surely a lot of people felt the same here in Canada. There were also lots of air time dedicated swimming, track and field which is understandable. But there was also lots of time dedicated to softball, golf (might be fun to play, but I feel reeeeaaalllly boring to watch), taekwondo, judo, boxing, weightlifting, tennis, volleyball, etc. But no badminton though I think is also quite popular in Canada - I know I can watch badminton here in Canada using the CBC app though.

I think the Olympic higher ups would be interested in what the TVs are buying and broadcasting. If no badminton time on TV in the Americas and most of Europe (I assume), it would not be easy now to add badminton events in the Olympic scheduling. There are many sports that are fighting to get recognized into the Olympics and not sure what the BWF could do to add the team event into the Olympic scheduling. BWF might be just too busy now working at the changes to the scoring system for the next Olympics...

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's a very good point indeed. If you really want a proper team competition, a lot more players would be necessary than that are currently qualified for the individual competitions. So BWF would have to install a separate qualification system for the whole team event which would make things seriously more complex than today. Especially since there is in fact no ongoing tournament series for teams that can be the basis of a qualification system.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm. Judo had a mixed team event for the first time this Olympics

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

For football/ many team sports they simply use the result of a WC/EC tournament as qualifiers (though there are separate qualification events as well depending on the region/sport), that part really doesn't have to be too complicated. But badminton and table tennis have ~172 spots for athletes to distribute so I would assume spots for people on a team that haven't qualified individually come at the cost of individual qualification slots

Saw it at the World Championships earlier this year which apparently was a first (of course normally there would be a test event at the host venue in the year before the Olympics but has been post-poned and eventually moved). According to this publication here they only use athletes that qualified individually https://www.ijf.org/news/show/judo-mixed-team-event-olympic-games (with only one athlete per country allowed in each weight category and only four out of all the weight categories making up a team this makes it a bit different compared to badminton. On the other hand it might be something to use: men's team event with perhaps 2 MS and 1 MD, or mixed team event with 3/4 out of 5 depending on what both sides can come up with).

#31 demolidor, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Cheung likes this.
  12. viver

viver Regular Member

I think this is for you -
    :)

13. JackRussel

JackRussel New Member

I believe that as soon as the Olympic Committee wants to do something like this, it will be done immediately. However, in my opinion, the governing bodies of the Olympics are too conservative. In order to make any changes they need pressure from the masses.