Chen Yufei (陳雨菲)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Feb 18, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

That's the question, time will tell.

2. Tennyson

Tennyson Regular Member

CYF is not short btw at 170cm though she looks a little for frail. She doesnt have the seemingly ideal strong lower body like WYH and LXR. But then the likes of WYH, LXR, WL had to endure persistent injuries maybe we would ponder if the extra upper body weight isn't something to be revered. CYF certainly doesn't have this problem.

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

The most memorable achievement of her career. What a day for Yufei Chen !!

She has shown what hard work, human will, unflappable spirit, militarian endurance, extreme defence can achieve.

Time for celebrations and to gain some weight via boorger and coca cola with ice.

tbgoh288 and Justin L like this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    CYF reading of Tai’ s game was so good.

Justin L likes this.
  5. Nine Tailed Fox

I can totally imagine 100,000 hours of PROPER VIDEOTAPE STUDYING of Tai's game.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That goes without saying, but it's more a case of what doesn't break you, makes you stronger - the whitewash CYF suffered at TTY's hands early in her career, something like 11 defeats in a row before she started to break the duck, and then followed by 4 wins and 4 losses in their last 8 meetings , including this Olympic victory for Chen Yufei.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Congratulations to Chen YuFei!

She looked like a Du PengYu class worker bee early in her career but certainly has elevated her game to the very top level. When your life depends on someone winning a game for you, Chen YuFei is that lifesaver :)

tbgoh288 and Justin L like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

yes. But I wish Chen Yu Fei could have won by not using a Chen Long style of play. If Chen Yu Fei is going to adopt this style of play on a regular basis, women’s singles is going to be in for a very very boring few years.

Need PV Sindhu or the return of Carolina Marin to power past her.

rhoder and DKCPH2018 like this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For any Olympian to have captured gold at her maiden attempt in the the early years of her career, age 23 in Chen Yufei's case, is nothing short of life-changing. I can only wish Chen Yufei many more resounding victories and great achievements in the years ahead.

My wholehearted congratulations to Chen Yufei. Keep it up! 加油!

10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Boring is a very subjective term.

Some styles are proven and easy to be successful. Special styles like Tai's would be entertaining but harder to be successful.

Justin L and Woesi like this.
  11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Most china ladies will retire early. 2024 will be her last to match zhang ning. ;)

Good job on the win. With blisters. Dont mess with a eounded player. ;)

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Haha, you must be comparing her to the female version of Chen Long - generally stable, consistent, effective, efficient, not much that's fanciful, most of the time doing what works or gets the job done; in contrast, Tai TY's game is aesthetically pleasing, artistic, exciting, fanciful, more creative, a wide variety of shots, on the whole highly entertaining to watch.

But, unfortunately for TTY, her style of play doesn't often enough translates into results, particularly when it matters most at the majors as it let her down in terms of consistency, rate of error, and form (both physical and mental).

What to do, in the real world. it's all about results, winning is everything; in fact, some say, winning is the only thing.

To be honest, for myself, I too favour TTY's playing style more than CYF's, say, 70-30. Let's see if one such women's singles player will emerge in the near future. Well, you might say, we already have one in Carolina Marin but, apart from the major titles she won, she hasn't been that consistent in overall results yet (bear in mind, she's 28 years old now).

Giga01, tbgoh288 and antssantss like this.
  13. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    CL and CYF's style for me is not boring. It's different and is a test for all the great players.
    When they appeared on the stage they were quite easily beaten. But they are now masters at it. They
    have great footwork, defence, anticipation, stamina etc. Its very nice to watch the way they move on the court and their mental strength. Very Graceful.
    Power and deception is a great talent but you have to master and control the temptation not to use it at the wrong time. Patience is therefore a great skill.
    It was a good final. TTY played to win and used all her skills, her drops and smashes were displayed throughout the match. Kudos to CYF to be able to retrieve the shuttle.
    Congratulations to CYF for the win. She deserved it for all the hard work she put into her training. Well done to the coaches as well.

14. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

It is actually rather intriguing to see how this person who has neither fanciful trickeries nor apparent athleticism can withstand and even overcome her opponents in a quiet, unassuming manner. For a student of the game, there is a lot to learn from CYF's game and it really shouldn't be boring.

Her lack of outward expression may bore people more than her game, especially to casual observers.

To be fair, her appetite and ability to attack have grown dramatically since the early days. She is fully capable of getting "interesting" when the situation presents itself.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Her speed is quite visible to me.

galaxyduo likes this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Good to know we agree. I also agree about results orientated approach.

I agree. What would happen when you put two players who play Chen Yufei’s style against each other….?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Fall asleep... I know I would!

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

rhoder and Cheung like this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said. I couldn't have put it any better. To be honest, boring isn't the word to describe her game, just comparatively speaking not as entertaining or exciting to watch as TTY's game.

And you're right about her marked improvement over the years in several aspects of her game, esp when she goes on attack mode now and then, even once in a blue moon executing well-disguised shots to trick her opponents. Overall, she is becoming a solid all-round player capable of scaling greater heights, winning her very first major title and that at the Olympics is only just the beginning, and she's not even mid-way through her sporting career yet.

I will be watching closely her ascent to the top , hopefully soon enough and eventually surpassing Marin's record of 3xWC and 1xOG.

#158 Justin L, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Woesi likes this.
  19. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

I agree. What would happen when you put two players who play Chen Yufei’s style against each other….?[/QUOTE]

I had watched such a match a couple of times before, between CYF and Wang ZY. I must say that I enjoyed watching those matches. It's like watching two choppers in T Tennis . Can be interesting like those matches between Lin Hui Ching and Zheng Minzhi which I watched as a kid.

20. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Wait. " Lack of outward expression" ? Are we talking about the same CYF that screams after every other point :)?`

With that said. CYF is fun. If you're a coach I imagine it's a much wiser idea to have MOST of players look at players like CYF, Chen Long, Lee Hyun-Il than it is to look at Tai Tzu Ying.

It's a very underated skill to keep the rallies going and not make mistakes. That's why Chen Long can still be this good. That's why Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei were that good. That's why Kento at his best is unbeatable. Because they simply won't make the mistakes themselves. That's maybe part of why Wang Zhengming didn't play as well as he could, and why Ginting can be unbeatable if he simply stops giving away so many points. Maybe.

Woesi likes this.