Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. khoai

khoai Regular Member

To be fair, credit should be given to HKH, rising star of Korean MS. He's improved a lot, playing great net/attacking games similar to Ginting, hence giving Momota a lot a trouble. He made Ginting work very hard for 3 games in one of the Thailand Opens in Jan.

#281 khoai, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

“I was trying to be aggressive, but I couldn’t stay strong emotionally.” -Kento Momota

The bane of Japanese players rears its ugly head. After all the obstacles he’s had to overcome…he couldn’t keep his head on in the most important moment in his career thus far. Maybe JBA should invest in some psych coaching for players…

Guess he’ll be forever known as Kento eMo-mota. Too bad so sad…I bet Japan will be kicking themselves for banning him last time round…too bad he’ll probably be past his prime next time around.

3. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
    I also had the impression that he was always a little behind when things were going faster. Maybe he still has a problem with his vision?

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

It was his very first OG and he had too much pressure on his shoulders. Rio should have been his first OG. Rio should have been the games to gain some major experience in the perspective of winning a medal one day. LD failed on his first attempt too, nothing to be ashamed to lose on a first attempt, but LD was younger. For KM, being 26 today and seeing how the new generation is pushing behind, it's a little bit harder to envision him winning the gold (or another medal) in Paris. Plus, the mental impact this tournament might have on the rest of his career.

I believe the NBA conservative rules/ethics have hindered his potential career performances, first with the ban and lastly when not allowing the players to participate in some major preparation tournaments (I recall the Japanese team was enrolled in some tournaments during covid era and pulled out at the very last minute). KM should have step up and go! Or go independent like NO. I know it might sound extreme for Japan and given his generous character. I always hear people say "nice guys finish last". I don't really agree with that but I can imagine how a "meaner" or more individualistic KM could have (or not) be better prepared for this tournament. If you want results, sometimes you have to stray away from the beaten path, be different. Hard in Japanese culture to stand out and be "that guy". NO did it, we'll see if it will pay out soon enough.

Anyway, that's sports, nothing is written in advance. KM topped the sport for 2 years but he is out before the final phase of what most would consider to be the most important tournament of his career. Frankly, it is sad, but the show must go on.

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i agree. also the whole team has suffered to some degree from having to miss those tournaments.

the majority of athletes around the world across all sports have expressed the difficulty of maintaining motivation when having to be locked down for an unknown time period. uncertainty + pressure is the killer, especially for people with a singular goal and purpose. naturally it doesn't affect everyone the same way. so, who does it affect most? you never know until it happens. it's easy but disingenuous to compare one badminton athlete to another. they may play the same sport, but none of them lives the same life.

"he's no lin dan... he's no lee chong wei..." no he is not, but i guarantee ld and lcw feel for him right now.
    i wish he could have also taken the okuhara route, but i understand the debt he feels towards the gov't and nba. had he not been so talented he might have been nothing more than kenichi tago's coaching partner right now. let that sink in for a moment...

"They went to court with only one aim, one goal… No one wants to go into court and lose. These players brought you joy before. Don’t mock and desert them when they lost a game.” -- datuk lee chong-wei
    ...and so continues our love/hate relationship with it.

LenaicM and justiceforlcy like this.
  6. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

Observe KM not as fast and speedy as before. Something affecting his health after contracting covid last year? Doctors did say covid thus affect your lungs even after recovery from covid.

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Hope he make a comeback in future. Life is fragile with many ups and downs. His career could have ended with that accident in Malaysia, or health severely affected by covid later. Ganbatte Momo.

8. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Momota couldn't have gone independent and still be given a spot for the Olympics in 2016. Because the Olympics is an event between national countries, I believe it's the badminton federation of Japan that allows a player to compete at the Olympics or not. If Nozomi Okhuara is independent as you claim, but is playing for Japan at the Olympics, then Badminton Japan has allowed her to play on behalf of Japan. Even if you go independent, you need a good relationship with your badminton federation so they submit you for international events like the Olympics.

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

@LenaicM did not mean independent from the national team; he meant independent from a corporate team affiliation. Okuhara left Unisys so that she could concentrate on training for the Olympics more intently. This has no bearing on her national team membership.

Actually Momota, too, changed his contract with NTT-East this April. He is now a contract-based, rather than 'regular' employee.

BeeKi, LenaicM, Cheung and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No dude please don't.

Let us let Chen Long do well.

11. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

Momota never seemed like he had mental issues or doubts. But i guess pressure combined with his lack of confidence in his own skills was too much. He'll be almost 30 in Paris 2024, still has a chance at Olympic glory.

12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Wym?

13. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Many ppl here is comparing him to LD first Olympics, but LD was 20 when he went out in the first round and was not the most dominant player at the time but KM has been and at a peak age.

The writing was on the wall when he lost to Zia at AE at QF April this year, a player he had never lost to, so it's not the nerves and having all the responsibility at home Olympics but he lost his ability and confidence, after the accident where his eye was affected and seeing double vision.

Not sure if his vision is back to normality, obviously he is careful and ever so polite what he says in the media. The reality could be different. As I mentioned, we shall see how he performs next year in the major circuits and I doubt if he can be the same as before his pre-accident level.

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Park joo bong and other coaching staffs will get fired. So bad result in home ground. All cracked up. ;)

Quentin11 likes this.
  15. CzechKronner

Yeah, he's not even attending the matches. WTF.

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

He prolongated his contract until 2025 earlier this year. Besides, I doubt it's really him and his staff at fault, it's above him. Judging what he has done for the Japanese players from the Olympics alone is wrong I believe. People shall judge it for what he has accomplished over the last years instead. Don't blame it all on one man. Too easy.

samkool and Woesi like this.
  17. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Wait I saw him. Today I think. The WataHiga match if i'm not mistaken

18. CzechKronner

Didn't attend any Momota match. Isn't attending Tsuneyama match against ginting either.

19. CzechKronner

I wish Momota would meet Djokovic in the Olympic village. Nole could give him some tips. Also overcame serious injury and is playing lights out again.

Quentin11 likes this.
  20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Yes, and we are witnessing this right now. Few days ago, most of us were wondering how many medals/golds will Japan bag at the OG. Now I wonder if they will get any Gold.

Playing domestic tournaments and one international major tournament was just not enough.