Indian Badminton Players at Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by Airos, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Samkool, I wanted your prediction to be right sir :( Hopefully 2024 , they'll do well. 3 years , I have to wait haha.

2. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    lol dont, mental thing needs to get better for them. You dont get too excited or too nervous.

Can you name one athlete/pair in any sport that gets more excited and more nervous than them ? I mean public display of emotion.
    Skill they have already and can be honed, but mental thing I am not sure.

3. Baddie lover

I agree with your assessment. I can't name any player or pair the question you asked me haha. I know they do that too much. Control on emotions is necessary not only for them but also for us haha. 3 years time, let's see coaches and they themselves work on it or not.

4. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I think the loss would pinch Sai even more now considering Momota lost. If he was in form, he would have a good chance to reach semis.

Cheung likes this.
  5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Fukk BSP, fukk the world, the all heavenly god just hanged himself to death.

6. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Khel ratna for BSP.

Baddie lover and Sumanth99 like this.
  7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Then I say dibs on Bharata Ratna.

arjevo likes this.
  8. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Lol :D But honestly, these people are so shameless that they will still show immense guts to raise their voices when they won't get nominated for these coveted awards and slam the federation for not suggesting their names. I remember a certain HS Prannoy did that, where is he these days? Playing in the Olympics? Oh wait I forgot, his rank wasn't good enough to qualify him for the mega event. :mad:

It's not even only about badminton, look what happened in shooting. It's okay to not win a medal but to not even qualify for the finals when you are ranked number 1's, 2's, etc is such a big shame. I don't think all of their equipments malfunctioned. I think Indian athletes just don't have that x factor, the desire to rise to the occasion (a few exceptions are always there). Some people might say oh well, it's easy to sit at home and post comments online but it's been the same old story, these guys never perform when it matters. All they want is more funds, personal physios, visa's for their child and his/her nanny and accreditation for their family members to travel with them as team members on tax payers money but all they will do is crumble under pressure when it matters the most. The respective sports federations of India really need to introspect. Oh and I forgot, most of our athletes lack the team spirit. Specially the one's playing racket sports.

Baddie lover and Sumanth99 like this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    @Baddie lover dude I found your twin brother.

I am just trying to digest the fact that almighty god hanged himself.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. Baddie lover

Hello twin brother. So happy to see someone writing what's in my mind these past 4-5 days. Wait for Panghal, Vinesh, Bajrang, Sindhu (let's see). And also pray that Neeraj, Mary do something wonderful. Talking about shooting, federation is putting blame on Jaspal Rana, the juniors' coach lol.

Okay, I'll make long story short. Earlier these athletes complained about not being watched and supported by country people. But now when they watch and support you (numbers are low but way more than before), you crumble and say too much expectations to handle ? Lol dude, expectations are part and parcel of sportspersons' lives. I predicted 8-9 medals (3 from shooting, yes I predicted 3 minimum will come from here). But they CHOKED real bad. And no excuses, you can blame govt for grassroots dev that's fine. But you are WR1, multiple WC, have World Records by your name. Okay not expecting you to win a medal, you're not able to qualify for finals, heck you are coming 20-35th ranked LOL.

Fine, won't go too far. Coming back to badminton. I don't think coaches are at fault here. Neither Agus nor Park nor Gopi. It's the players who have to perform. And I seriously want to know what did Sai comment post match. Please share anyone if you have it ? Tomorrow 6 am Sindhu match, India Argentina hockey. Have to arrange it in two screens sighh. My sleep pattern has been tarnished.

arjevo likes this.
  11. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Hey hey! I also read somewhere that the shooting federation's president gave an excuse citing the "young age" of the Indian shooters lol. 13 year olds are winning gold's in the Olympics. Whatever happened to that TOPS core list and the players included in it. And today I almost banged my head on the wall after reading the headline that Vinesh Phogat overstayed her Schengen visa and wasn't allowed to take the flight to Tokyo, I was like there goes another chance for India to have a shot at an Olympic gold, thankfully things got sorted out for her. Another thing which I didn't understood was, why change a seasoned mixed archery team in the last moment on the basis of the performance of individual qualification scores, that was such a nonsense move.

Coming back to badminton, hopefully PV will perform the way she does when it matters the most. I have been reading that the badminton hall is unexpectedly a bit faster which will probably help Sindhu's attack and going by the recent news articles her defence has improved, we shall see. Hoping for the best. To eventually get it shattered by our athletes. I can't even back the Olympic sports up the way I do in front of those hardcore cricket fans anymore. To heck with them, I demand a refund of my Sony LIV subscription which I exclusively bought to watch medal winning performances from these athletes. Just kidding :D

#71 arjevo, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  12. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

“It wasn’t going my way and I couldn’t do anything. The first game I was dominating initially, but then it went away from me. I didn’t play 100 per cent, I couldn’t think. I felt under pressure. I need to pick myself up for the next match,” said Praneeth.

Found this quote from bwf news: https://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2021/07/24/zilberman-aces-test-at-praneeths-expense/

At least he is not making any excuses.
    But it's disheartening to see that after two QF appearances in last two Olympics, Indian MS losing in the first stage.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

It was due to Atanu having an inferior ranking so that would have made us go against a top ranked pair. To avoid that, they went with Jadhav (personally I found him best out of all archers including Deepika, I know what he did today but still). Btw I feel, Indian archers are unpredictable so it doesn't matter who they play against coz there is no guarantee that they'll win against a weaker nation.

Heck with those cricket fans who just watch cricket only and come earliest to attack other sportspersons. I'll advise you to ignore them haha. Regarding Sindhu, I'll watch her first game tomorrow then can only comment. Regarding today's match scoreline against Cheung, I feel that's good. Don't know how she played really, just watched the match winning shot. We'll see.

14. Baddie lover

Yes that's what I said after reading his comments in other thread. At least he's honest unlike Sri and Co.

15. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Good win for PVS over Mia today. Apart from a rough patch in the game 1 after the mid game interval where she allowed Mia to almost catch-up, she looked convincing. But will this be enough for the quarterfinals? She has a habit of rise to the occasion in those big moments so I am positive for her. Satwik/Chirag must be scratching their heads now that minions have lost. All they needed was to push a little bit more. Elsewhere, good day for us so far. Atanu managed to create an upset, men's hockey team has also delivered. Bhaker might qualify today but again, disappointed with the shooters overall.

Sindhu recently said she has worked on a couple of new tricks/shots to develop her game. Anyone able to make out what shots she was talking about after watching her match against the Danish?

Sumanth99 likes this.
  16. Baddie lover

I was satisfied by Sindhu today. Found glimpses, little glimpses of 2019 WC Sindhu. I said yesterday to my friend Sumanth, she needs to make a statement by winning against Mia in two straight convincing games. Coz less fatigue and then boost in confidence. Mia is no cakewalk, she is a tricky opponent for other top players too. So I'm quite happy with Sindhu, she wasn't playing the way she does in tour.

I saw hockey team's first goal and last goal. In the middle of that, I was watching Sindhu match. Hockey team looked better than previous games. But we need more clinical and lethal strikers. We need more field goals, PC conversion rate has been miserable inspite of us having two world class drag flickers in RupinderPal and Harmanpreet. This team beat Argentina team many times in latter's home in World tour two months ago. Plus Argentina is defending OG champs.

Coming to Atanu, OH My. He did the unthinkable. Won against Rio Gold medallist Korean. Whenever you play against Korea, you need luck too and that 7 by Korean was God's thing. Atanu did really well to hold his nerves quite contrary to my expectations. I'm still not expecting any medal. Wins from archery is always a bonus, expecting a medal is a foolish thing. Now hubby's performance should inspire Deepika to put her best foot forward against Russian and then Korean tomorrow.

#76 Baddie lover, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  17. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Damn! Mery kom lost by split decision. Otherwise it was a near-perfect day at the olympics for India.

And a Guatemala guy is in quarter finals facing another 40+ ranked guy.
    To be honest, Sai Praneeth never looked comfortable. But Chirag and Satwik loosing is just bad luck.
    I predict they will win a medal at 2022 world championships.

@Sumanth99 what do you mean almighty god hanged himself?

18. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Is there a place to watch badminton matches/highlights online? Sony network isn't too keen to telecast the exciting matches happening on the other court even though they can and had a few days ago.

Airos likes this.
  19. Airos

Airos Regular Member

About archery, I know it's unpredictable, but if husband Atanu or wife Deepika do the unlikely and win an archery medal, it will be such a boom for Indian archery. It's a sport we should target more seriously.

They both need to win 3 more matches. Difficult, but not impossible.

20. Swaraj Lakshman

Swaraj Lakshman Regular Member

Drop this in ONLINE STREAMING THREAD , marking @demolidor, he may provide some link.

Sony network seems not even remotely keen.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

arjevo likes this.