XXXII Tokyo OLYMPIC GAMES 2020 : Day 1-4 (24-27 July 2021) - Group Stage Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 22, 2021.

1. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

WD world number 1,2,3 and 5 are all in the same quarterfinal bracket:confused:
    This type of round robin format is complete bullshit. Why not just do a regular knockout and give the players more rest inbetween?
    Not like any of the networks even gives a crap about these group stage matches.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Actually Korean beat minions before. So minions are lucky.

Sonoda beaten ahsan before also in so.

It will boils down to the form of the day. Who makes less mistakes and dominate the net faster will win.

Semis shd be nice.

Maybe bwf need to readjust the wd and md qtr back to seedings just to be fair or make it exciting.

3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I couldn't agree more, and just it's another reason to add to my love/hate relationship with the Olympics :D

fanyy likes this.
  4. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

Badminton should really learn from Tennis. Do away with silly round robin and go straight to elimination games with more rest days than they have now.

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

round robin is good
    It makes sure that any Olympian have more than 1 match to play
    I love this format a lot actually, making it more unpredictable
    Hope this system stays for a long time

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I love the round robin group plays for doubles. It just makes it much more exciting. Every match matters!

Crazy how TPE played lights out to win their way back into the QF stage after losing to India.
    Lucky the Koreans get saved by the Aussies who were already eliminated.

The suspense, the tension, it makes it all so much more fantastic. I'm not sure what the gripe really is. For singles, I understand where people are coming from, but for doubles, you get to watch MORE matches. What's the complaint???

Ok, so the 1, 2, 3 & 5 are on the bottom half. Blame the 1 pair for not beating INA. If they did, they wouldn't be on the bottom! It's simple as that...

rhoder, samkool and indrg like this.
  7. yuon

yuon Regular Member

I think even Park Joo Bong was quietly revising Japan's medal target after Hirota got injured. Japan's best chance at a medal was Fukuhiro, imo. Nagamatsu have only won big titles by beating their compatriots in the final. They need other Japanese pairs to take care of the Chinese and Korean pairs for them. With half the QF round made up of Chinese and Korean pairs, their chance was already slim to begin with, but now with the nervy way they've been playing, it would take a miracle.

8. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Every match matters in straight elimination format as well...

The purpose of having seeds is so the best players in the world don't meet until later on in the tournament. It's why the top 2 teams in any sport are always placed at opposite ends of the draw so they can (potentially) meet in the finals.

This round robin format completely disregards seeding and we now have 4/5 top pairs in the world in the same bracket which is insanely stupid.

It also makes badminton seem like even more of a joke when viewers watch the group stage just to see a top seed destroying someone from a weaker nation.

fanyy and Cunning Linguist like this.
  9. birdbird

birdbird Regular Member

Japan's best shot would be Momota if he plays his best. Fukuhiro after him if healthy.

10. indrg

indrg Regular Member

So? don’t watch it if you don’t like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    Do u think the draw is interfered by human for the benefit of Japan as a host?

12. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    I think the draw for QF is silly
    They should follow Volleyball
    Round robin but QF opponent should be determined by certain rule. Just my opinion. Chen and Jia has a chance to meet Kim and Kong again in semifinal
    Lucky Shin and Lee now has a big chance to go SF and Final

13. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    The fairest draw is in MX QF so far

14. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

All you guys complaining about the random draw for the QF stage - really?

It was changed so that there wouldn't be a debacle which was the WD group matches in 2012, in that they knew that they would qualify for the next round, but wanted to intentionally lose so that they wouldn't play against a fellow team-mate / pair.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Good draw for me when i place my coins on these to win the title.

MD - Li/Liu (8.5) , AhsanHendra , ShettyRR(eliminated)
    WD - LeeShin, DuLi, KimKong (pretty high odds for these 3 to win, above 10)
    XD - YutaHiga, SeoChae (13), PraMel.

Also played Japan total medals, so i dont mind KamuraSonoda beating AhsanHendra, they are the younger pair and playing at home, they are the one that should show their bests imo.

Hopefully Yuta wins today, that will almost ensure 1st XD medal for Japan badminton history.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  16. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

As if we haven't experienced enough round robin fiasco already. The clowns at BWF and IOC don't care. They'll never pull something like this in tennis because the players would just tell them to f-off!
    No one wants to see players waste energy and potential injury on some super low ranked players. Why in the world would we need the Chew brothers to play two games? :cool:

17. sen

sen Regular Member

All those who complain about the draw, think about this : if the drawing is based on the ranking, then the pair who already qualified can theoritecally lose in their last match to just try to eliminate pair they see a threat so some even lower rank pair may qualify. Then some would complain again.

18. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

I agree with this in that the lower ranked pairs are literally there to make up numbers.

Australia (where I'm from) quite frankly - suck compared to Japan / China etc and it would be a very one sided match.

The only time where I was proven wrong, was the terrific WD match where Canada pushed the Japanese to 3 games.

However, if it weren't for the quotas that each country is allowed to have, it would be simply another World Tour event, just re-named the Olympics.

19. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Great discussion.

20. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

To add onto my previous post above regarding lower ranked players / pairs - I think that table tennis works well in that there's preliminary rounds for these players in the Olympics.

Not only would it mean that players would have a more "fairer" match, it would probably boost their esteem (compared to losing 21-2, 21-3 for example), as well as ensure that the "main" matches would be somewhat more competitive.

I was kinda (using that term lightly) watching the ROC pair vs. Nigeria last night in the MD, and I could tell from the ROC's pairs faces that they simply were just treating the game as a joke - especially considering knowing that both themselves and their opponents were already eliminated.