Indian Badminton Players at Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by Airos, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Airos

Airos Regular Member

OK, since the Olympics is starting, I thought I will start this thread.
    (Came back here after along time - must be around a year or so. :))

I can't help being a little disappointed that this time we are only in 3(of 5) events and in each of these events we have only 1(of 2) medal prospect. So at best we can win 3 medals. Why did this happen? Where did it go wrong? Surely we can't blame everything on covid.

In any case, all the best to Sindu, Sai Praneeth and the duo of Chirag/Satwik.

So shower all your predictions, thoughts and wishes for Indian players in Tokyo.

Baddie lover likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

P. Sindhu for the Gold?

Airos likes this.
  3. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In a more realistic sense we should happy if India can get one bronze medal.

I am trying (hopefully) to enjoy games with an open mind without any expectation of medals etc.

Airos likes this.
  4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

A betting person will bet on Sindhu for a medal solely due to her performances in majors. Going by her form post 19 WC Gold, it seems unlikely she'll do well. Can't say much as OG will be different ball game altogether. I'm not expecting much from this team but I hope Sindhu brings her major mojo and reach finals. What better than to upgrade last OG silver to Gold. Gonna be really tough.

Airos and Cheung like this.
  5. Baddie lover

Minions in SatwikChirag group. In a way, it can be counted as relief for Indian pair as they won't have to meet minions in knockouts (till finals maybe ? ). They have to beat LeeWang tomorrow. If they lose there, it might well be curtains for them and if they are not able to beat LeeWang, we should stop consider them good enough for medalling this OG.

Crazy times these past 2 years, not much happiness coming from Indians' form. Let us enjoy this OG and hope India does well not only in Badminton but also overall. Wishing them best of luck.

Sumanth99, Airos and Cheung like this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Hearing news on TV that B. Sai Praneeth has lost in straight sets to some Israeli unranked journeyman.

Baddie lover likes this.
  7. Baddie lover

Best part about not having expectations is you don't make your happiness or sadness dependent on others. I have learnt it the hard way after watching 2012 and 2016 OG. Sai losing doesn't hurt me, rather I'm happy for Israeli Misha.

Our world champion women shooters didn't even qualify for final. Wr 1 finished 16th in qualifying, world champion finished 36th. I'm happy I never expected anything from them haha.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

Well Mo will travel to tokyo with a flask of hot chai and saffron towels to wipe tears. Well everything than can be publishized pesh ho jaye.

Baddie lover likes this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Chirag won the match, He improved a lot, Satwik need to come out the Viktor Axelsen mode.

10. Baddie lover

Best at PR. Croc tears

11. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Wow, a medal on the first day! Congrats to Mira Chanu.

Could this Olympics become our best in terms of medal?

I think having some hopes makes things more exciting.

Honestly, if we go by the trends - since like 2011 or so India has progressively done better at BWF major events - each time either bettering the colour or the number of medals won.

If we go by that, then India needs AT LEAST a medal, if not a gold or 2 medals, to not make us disappointed.

But then again, our badminton contingent is so small this time. So perhaps even a single bronze should make us satisfied.

#11 Airos, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Baddie lover likes this.
  12. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Sai Praneeth is not out, is he? he can still make it, right?
    Chirag/Satwik had a great fight back.

On a side note, a little bit disappointing in shooting and archery on day 1.
    But great job in weight-lifting.

13. Baddie lover

I wish we make this thread not just badminton specific but also other sports where Indians are playing ?

Realistically speaking, India should win 8 medals (any colour) that'll make it the best ever performance surpassing 2012 medals. On paper , we have 18 medal prospects (going by regular world championship winners plus outside medal prospects). Anything better than 4, I'll be happy.

A good win by SatwikChirag. Wasn't able to watch the match as I was busy with Chanu's event. That win should make them confident. Can someone throw light how they played ? As I was multi tasking, I saw Satwik underconfident in his shots but couldn't see much.

Today out of 4 medal event prospects , we won 1. Tomorrow we have 2 medal event prospects (shooting).

14. Baddie lover

Sideline him. Whatever be the nerves factor, you can't lose to Misha, all due respect to him. Misha doesn't even have facilities, Sai has been given top treatment by Govt, Federation, Gopi. What excuse does he have ? If you're losing to Misha in straights, stop thinking about medalling and pack your bags , come home right away. Seriously disappointing. But then again, no hopes from Sai. Still frustrating to see the result.

15. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I somehow think that Srikanth would have performed better...Sai don't really have any experience playing under pressure.

Was there a possibility for the Indian team choosing Srikanth instead of Sai (like done controversially by the UK team for doubles by picking Sean/Ben)?

Baddie lover and Sumanth99 like this.
  16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    They could have selected Srikanth, but fortunately or unfortunately we have a real democracy unlike the hypocritic beehive, so the right thing is done although it may not be the good thing for medal prospects. BSP deserves place rightfully.

17. Baddie lover

I have a question. So the quota belongs to the country and not the player like it happens in wrestling?

18. rajat_remar

Maximum two players from a country qualify for the category if they are placed in top 16. Both Sai and Srikanth were in top 25, I think, so technically if Sai pulled out Srikanth would have got a chance to compete.

19. rajat_remar

Just wanted to know if this was a possibility but the right decision was taken. I feel for Wang Shixian for not being selected for OG twice in a row despite being higher ranked.
    There's still a possibility of Sai winning. Let's hope he wins the next group match with good margin.

Baddie lover likes this.
  20. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I saw the match. I never ever seen Misha played something like this. He was in a complete attacking mode. Sai was just reacting. Even Gill mentioned about this. Misha's mother is his coach. They seemed prepared very well for this.

Baddie lover likes this.