Torn/Ruptured Achilles

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Morris Tuazon, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Morris Tuazon

Morris Tuazon New Member

Hey All!

Feeling a little down today as I torn/ruptured my left Achilles playing doubles yesterday. I was trying to return a drop shot from mid court and as I soon as I lunged forward, I heard the "pop". ER doctor said it could be a complete tear although I have to wait for the Podiatry Department to call me to confirm and discuss possible treatments. Anybody had a similar experience? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Morris
    San Francisco, CA

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    So sorry to hear that. Wish you speedy recovery.

3. DKCPH2018

DKCPH2018 Regular Member

Unfortunately I have also had an Achilles tendon rupture/tear on my right foot yesterday evening. Been to the emergency and have a further appointment/possible surgery in couple of days.
    @Morris, what was suggested in your case..
    Anyone else knows what is the better Surgery or Non Surgical treatment..

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, if complete tear better results with surgery.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

DKCPH2018 likes this.
  5. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

Sorry to hear, wish you speedy recovery.
    I had a completely torn achilles 2 years ago when playing a competition. If you want to return to a high level it is better with surgery because otherwise the achilles can be a little longer and more lax than before the injury and therefore not as explosive and powerful.
    I had surgery and am now back to the same level as before the injury. The process is long and frustrating but if you do your
    physiotherapy and keep your spirits high it will be alright!

All the best

DKCPH2018 likes this.
  6. DKCPH2018

DKCPH2018 Regular Member

Thank you the info about your case does help. In my case the Ultrasound showed that I only had a partial tear so they said I did not need a surgery. I am trying to get a second opinion but it takes forever in DK and the private insurance says they do not pay for 2nd opinion. I am still trying though :)

atmosfer likes this.
  7. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

I see, unfortunately I dont know much about partial tears. But I have talked both with people who had surgery and some who didnt and they are all back to playing and competing now so im sure it will be alright for you either way :)

DKCPH2018 likes this.
  8. DKCPH2018

DKCPH2018 Regular Member

Time will tell, but for now you have set my fears to rest and made my day , Thank you :)

atmosfer likes this.
  9. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

I had a partial tear in a ligament in my forefoot.

Ligaments and tendons take a long time to heal, keep it up with the podiatrist and co, even when the pain is gone you are nowhere near being ready to play.

In the day before my MRI results, after 10 weeks of rest, I retore my ligament [May '21] after likely tearing it in January. The pain had been there since November, but the ultrasounds came up with nothing the week after the injury, and then the second ultrasound in March was a devastating diagnosis, that was thankfully a misdiagnosis.

I hope that you'll be able to play soon, the journey is long and frustrating, but as long as you stay conservative and diligent, you will be back playing eventually.

Cheung, precrime3 and DKCPH2018 like this.