Carolina Marin: Spain

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by scuInd78, Nov 23, 2011.

1. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Any updates to her injury? Is it a tear or a sprain? Hope she's alright and able to go.

2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

scream is no big deal, the way she return shuttles is bad. Both are nothing new in badminton, you just too obsession her and you thought so

3. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

You know more about me than I, ‘obsession?’....nah,
    to do that you need look at the person or object to obsess over,
    I decided from the start I don’t want to see the likes of her,
    the bullish demeanour, the lack of respect for your opponent.

I’ll leave you to it, could you turn the lights off when you leave the room.

4. vozer here

you said switch off match with her involved. Talked abt badminton as our beautiful game so you watch badminton a lot. But then you think marin is the first who bring scream, behavior to the court while its not just cos you focus on her only. And you must know marin more than her, "characters like her"?

And again, like this like that. Too much express yourself in a non fan club, discussing forum

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Announcement is that she is not going to be able to defend her Olympic title.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Darn it. That would cut down the worth of the WS title by a lot.

7. vozer here

Actually she admit that she had an acl injury and doesnt talk abt withdraw or not. But i think no more miracle. Even wc in nov seem not possible

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Carolina Marin: Olympic badminton champion to miss Tokyo 2020 through injury
    1 Jun 2021
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/news/carolina-marin-to-miss-tokyo-2020-through-injury

The Spanish player has confirmed that an injured left knee has ruled her out of the Olympic Games in 2021.

Carolina Marin will not be defending her Olympic badminton crown at Tokyo 2020, the Spanish player confirmed today (1 June) via Instagram. In a heartfelt post, the reigning women’s singles champion told her followers that she has torn her ACL and both menisci in her left knee. She is due to undergo surgery later this week but the recovery schedule will rule her out of this year's Olympics.

Marin, who won gold at Rio 2016, is a three-time World and five-time European champion. Her impressive start to the season, in which she won four out of the five championships she competed in, had made her one of the favourites to defend her title in Tokyo.

The Huelva-born athlete was also third in the BWF world rankings, below TAI Tzu Ying (Chinese Taipei) and CHEN Yu Fei (People’s Republic of China).

==========================

- What a huge blow, she's the strongest contender for Tokyo gold...

s_mair likes this.
  9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What a pity, I hoped one of my fav player (all WS except CM) win olympics while CM is also playing at her best possible form.

She is 28, is that too big of a number for a WS athlete to push hard during training?

10. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Wow, ACL rupture and both meniscus damaged, this will most likely be a career-ending injury. She shocked us all when she recovered from her first ACL rupture but this time it's on her dominant leg.

She's 28 and will be out of competition for at least 1 year for rehab. She'll be 32 at the next Olympics which is old for any badminton athlete. Oldest successful female athlete I can think of is Zhang Ning (won 2008 Olympics at 32) but ZN also had a much smoother playing style which puts less stress on the joints.

CM's aggressive playing style and less optimal footwork are probably prime contributors to her injuries.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is really bad long term. Two meniscus injuries.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Ouch. So both knees have suffered ACL injuries?! That's a tragic way to end her career. I really feel for her. No one wishes this to even their worst enemies...

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#772 visor, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Isn't it a bit early for obituaries? She believes she can make a comeback, and that's what counts. Prospects may not look good, but we are not talking about a mere mortal here; this is Carolina Marin. I wish her a solid recovery.

14. vozer here

edited

#774 vozer here, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  15. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

I hope she can too but I don't know of a player that's made a comeback from a knee injury at her age. Oldest I can think of is Peter Gade at 26.

kurako likes this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

ACL rupture on its own vs
    ACL rupture plus one meniscus tear vs
    ACL rupture plus two meniscus tear.

Each additional injury adds up to a more difficult recovery.

In addition to ACL reconstruction, she might opt for partial meniscectomy - trimming of the meniscus. Will be faster rehab but in the long term osteoarthritis will come at a younger age. More likely to need knee replacement at an earlier age.

CLELY, kurako and samkool like this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He definitely didn’t have ACL reconstruction.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Sports ACL rupture is usually associated with some degree of meniscal damage because of the way the ACL attaches. Rare to have it without.

For a pro level athlete to recover back to top level with one knee ACL injury is possible as Marin and others have proven.

But to recover from ACL injuries in *both* knees back to previous top competitive level? Very very difficult. I have yet to see anyone achieve that. Difficult to accept yes. But that's the reality.

And this is not an obituary. She can still play at lower competitive levels or coach. Just unlikely at previous high level.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Li Xuerui suffered injuries to her ACL and lateral meniscus and never regained her top forms. What are the chances of CM playing the level of badminton she accustomed to.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

CM already “overachieved” by playing at top
    level after the first ACL injury. I can’t recall other badminton athletes having the same operation and getting back into top five in the world.

We know CM has a very high determination - will she decide to try a comeback? I think she might try for Paris 2024 depending on the recovery of the knee .