Is BG65 string really inferior?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SSSSNT, May 2, 2021.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

BG65 spec is really bad. But back in 2000s many top players choose it despite having BG66 and other much "better" strings around. Is BG65 string actually inferior or is Yonex just trying to sell more strings by promoting thinner strings?

kwun likes this.
  2. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

Inferior is a strong word, but it's common for this string to be used for beginners as it is durable and reasonably priced. As a beginner it will be harder for them to know the difference between BG65 & other strings as their skill level isn't at that point where they can feel the difference the string "could" make to their game. When your skill level improves & only then will it be worthwhile experimenting with different strings to see what you personally prefer, or to complement your skill level & playing style.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

kwun likes this.
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    You will be surprised if you string your BG65 a couple lbs higher tension than your norm, how much repulsion it gets.

I think you are correct that Yonex marketing dept, as we well know, knows how to market their new products. Everything new they make are always so-n-so % better than previous. At that rate from Cab to Astrox, we should all be smashing like Fu Haifeng by now, yet...

yenyesoh and puttguy like this.
  4. Tabatchu

Tabatchu Regular Member

Bg65 is an awesome repulsive string at 29+ lbs. The thinner stings loose their repulsive properties at 29+ lbs and thus help with control.
    PS: I recommend beginners reading this post not to try bg65 at 29+ lbs. To play at that tension you need to have a good technique else you would only be hurting your arm!

puttguy, Cheung and Budi like this.
  5. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

True, beginners can play with teflon pan and not play any worse.

I guess i'm challenging the idea of this "personal preference" and "complement your skill and playing style" in strings. Perhaps it's all just marketing gimmick and placebo effect.

puttguy likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My personal preference is BG65 at 30lbs, BG80 at 28lbs, BG66 at 26lbs.

7. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

Each person is different, their playing style, mental strength, touch, skill level and hearing. Agree?
    So why is it not possible that the strings are different and do make a difference?

8. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I didn't say it's not possible. Anything is possible.

9. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

What strings have you tried/played with?

10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

And regular Fu Haifeng should be smashing like Super Saiyan Fu Haifeng by now :p

kwun likes this.
  11. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

Badminton is 80% technique, why do you think 11 year old kids who have had 5 years of coaching can smash harder than many adults with a similar 5 years game time?

precrime3 and yenyesoh like this.
  12. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Sure, I never said otherwise.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    There are so many variables when it comes to string performance.

The natural property of the string itself
    tension
    stringer technique
    the player's ability
    matching to the racket property

it is like wheels for a car. a SUV wheel won't work well with a sports car, and neither will it work well in high pressure, and even if you put it in the right car, running it in the wrong surface it won't perform. So when someone says, this is a great wheel, you have to match it with a few other variables in order to have the best synergy.

Something as simple as a racket/string is a complex system

Gpower, khoai and puttguy like this.
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Just an example.

I once had a customer who bought a new racket. 4U, stiff and headlight, he wanted a thin string at high tension. the result was unfortunately something that is really stiff but no weight / momentum. it was not playable unless for someone who has ridiculously strong wrist and whippy technique.

however, the same thin string and tension i have used in heavier head heavy rackets and it plays really well.

so the string and tension combo is not a bad combo, it just need to work with the right racket and technqiue.

puttguy likes this.
  15. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

"the string and tension combo is not a bad combo, it just need to work with the right racket and technqiue." EXACTLY THAT!

kwun likes this.
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am glad you agree. If we actually go work out the whole matrix of all the variables and what match and what doesn't match, it will be a very beneficial to many people.

And not to go too off topic, if we do have such a matrix, I believe it will show that BG65 actually works well in many situations, more than many other strings.

puttguy likes this.
  17. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

Yes it would be very beneficial but there are so many variables to take into consideration.
    I personally don't think BG65 are a bad string, especially for beginners or less skilled as the strings are more resilient to snapping & repulsion is quite strong too. For me they just lack feel for those delicate net shots.

kwun likes this.
  18. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

What do you think the significant or main matrixes are? I see you already mentioned racket stiffness, weight, flex, string tension, string gauge, wrist strength, playing style. Anything else?

19. llrr

llrr Regular Member

BG65 is a different beast above 30lbs. I would say string is all just personal preference and it's 99% related to feedback to the user. The tension is more important than the string, but some extreme spec strings like BG80 that's super hard, compared to the softness of 66UM would feel very different at the same tension. Having said this, pros using BG65 fresh is acceptable since once it dies it really dies, just like 66UM. If I'm able to always use freshly strung racquets at 31lbs I probably would be able to play with any string to a good level.

20. esppy

esppy Regular Member

So glad to see the general consensus is what I experience and think of while I tested and used BG65.
    Shoutout to @kwun , @Tabatchu , and @Cheung .

Here's my contribution.

I went nuts at 34lbs and HO BOY, was that thing giving me orgasmic pings and repulsion and great control. Durability is top notch as well even though at the high tension. This the the pros of this string. BG65 also absorbs vibration much better than the rest for me, being labeled as soft feeling is no joke.

But as people around me and me too, personally, there's cons to this. Few people mention this.
    BG65, BG66 (mostly for the indo contingent), BG66 Ultimax and BG80 are what my side call "tournament strings".
    What does this mean, you ask?

They lose tension fast. Not literally within seconds but within 2 weeks, they basically become what you don't feel when fresh.
    BG65 in my case, 3 times I "tested/used", 32 dropped to 27, 34 dropped to 28, and 34 dropped to 27. Not unplayable per se, but I can't expect the shuttle to move the way using the same amount of input 2 weeks in.

It's lasting as in it wont snap, but to adjust the expectation of feeling that fast, is a bit of a con. I can see why professionals continuously restring their rackets.
    For comparison I break NBG98 at 29-31 lbs every 2 to 2.5 mths, Aerobite 28-30lbs every month, and without care if the feel or tension changing/dropping to the point that I need to adjust my input. From new to snap, I didn't need to adjust, if much, for NBG98 or AB.

Also, I'm not sponsored, but I sponsor the company (heh), so I have to think of the grommets and the frame durability over time. Which is kind of why I left BG65. Would have loved to continue using it, soft feeling, absorbs shock and gives good feedback.

Which is why I see reels commonly being bought and used.

#20 esppy, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    puttguy likes this.