Good bye line judges!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sumanth99, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Just watching Apple event where they showed iPad able to detect out of the line shots in tennis. I always thought someone should do it and may be as a custom tech but Apple just made this generic and integrated into device. Incredible Computer Vision, ML, Sensor tech.

I think this will transfer to badminton sooner than later.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Ausopen this year already had electronic line judges. I think it's definitely the way forward. No more need for challenges either which I'm a big fan of.

decoy likes this.
  3. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    ot sure if this will be a good thing or not, but definately expect a massive reaction to the accuracy of the system, just look back on the pages and pages complaining about Hawkeye when it started, how accurate was it...or not, how long it took to compute an answer etc

But will certainly miss those cries of ;OUT: and the brilliant dedication and long hours of all the current linejudges, not that they have a great deal to worry about as Im sure only the very top events will be able to afford this sort of system

4. Avian Rodrigues

Avian Rodrigues Regular Member

Challenges are a fair way to honor the history and status of an umpire in any sport - badminton umpires and line judges form a unique part of the sport, and in my newly proposed format of team badminton, where each player has 2 challenges in their round (whether 11 vs. 11, 6 vs. 6 or 5 vs. 5 ), moderation and line call personnel are definitely a critical part of this format - the umpire in this format also has a hand on how the 10 second timer resets after each point and can regulate play fairly and smoothly in relation to the kind of energy expenditure and pace required.

#4 Avian Rodrigues, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  5. Avian Rodrigues

6. Avian Rodrigues

#6 Avian Rodrigues, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021