Astrox 100zz 4u vs Astrox 88D pro

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by BalajiSethuraman, Apr 6, 2021.

1. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Guys,

I currently use 100zz and 88d. I know the difference between them. We have beaten the bush till death for 100zz and a little towards 88d pro also individually but wanted to know the comparison between the 100zz 4u and 88d pro. Anyone with both these rackets can throw some light here? I want the differences in Net, drives, smashes and maneuverability. Since I use 100zz I know it’s very fast and Individually both the rackets are fast is what I read.

Just wanted to be clear if buying the 88d pro will add any value in my kit bag having owned 100zz 4u, 88d 4u and Kawasaki king k9 4u. (Grips and string constitutes to close to 95 grams each though!!)..

Rackets which I have tried and dusted!!

1. Lining n7ii (used about 6 months)
    2. Lining n9ii (used for 2 months)
    3. Lining 3D caliber 900 (used for 2 months)
    4. Kawasaki Honor s6 (Used 1 year)
    5. Zf2 4u (used for 4 months)
    6. Voltric 7 ( Used for long long time)

Having used the above rackets I finally settled to 100zz, 88d and king k9. Some have I feel I am confident with the my current rackets. This doesn’t mean I am not confident on the which I dusted. They are pretty good rackets and play in their own turf really well actually... I used them for considerable amount of time.

To me honestly 88d pro is a copy of 100zz. May be little different in proposition but in the end they gonna play alike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BalajiSethuraman

Not even one have both??

3. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    88d pro must be somewhere in between the 88d and 100zz I guess, and as it's rather a new racquet, it ought to take a few months time so that we could get any comparison regarding the two

4. Jkhor

Jkhor New Member

Not sure about the 100zz but i owned the 88d and 88d pro.
    88d pro will be more flexible and controllable for me but power wise 88d still the best if you are hard smashing player

5. BalajiSethuraman

Yup in 88d the hard feeling is more as compared to 100zz

6. Viscrow

Viscrow New Member

Own both, 100zz excels in control, 88d pro very good in smash, feeling and the control good too but not at 100zz level. Overall i prefer 88d pro

7. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

I also have the 4u 100zz and 4u King K9, ZF2 3u. For me, I round skip the 88D pro since IMO its just gonna make my smash a little bit power.. I usually don't win point with smashes anyway.

Personally, I would get 88s pro since sometimes I get paired with player who favors back court exclusively.

Sent from my SHARK PRS-H0 using Tapatalk

8. slb18903

slb18903 New Member

Hi there!

I currently own and use 3u88d 3u88dpro and also have 3u and 4u 100zz

The main difference i would say that 88dpro excells at over the 4u100zz is the speed of racket head return during a fast drive game (even when my 88dpro is 3u). I play doubles and I would prefer the 88dpro over the 100zz in overall since I play a lot of drive games and couter attacks.

3u100zz cannot compare to the flat drive game with 88dpro. I would say that 88dpro has a better sweetspot due to its string pattern and frame shape compared to 100zz, and also it would take some time to get used to the 100zz soild shaft.

if comparing the 88d and 88dpro, again 88dpro would be better in the flat drive games and in my opinion slightly better at defense. Attacking wise 88d will defenitely give you better power but 88dpro allows the user to make consecutive smashes.

I would say that in the original 88s/d series, 88s is the clear winner of the two even though both are great rackets.
    for the 88s/d pro series, 88dpro is the racket that gave me more enjoyment to play over the spro (also great racket).

Hope it helps :)

Aayoosh, Nihal, Coldzero004 and 2 others like this.
  9. Andreas Kihlgren

Andreas Kihlgren Regular Member

Hello,

I currently have the 100zz and 88s, and have sold my 88d pro and 99. All 4U.

I sold my 88d pro due to it being too slow and lacking in control when compared to the other rackets. Power and repulsion are great. I would say that it's for stronger/slower players and not weaker/faster players. I'm more towards the weaker/faster and it was hard to stick smash and react fast in doubles with it. Heavy on the wrist.

The 99 simply had too much shuttle hold and not enough repulsion for doubles.

The 100zz is most all-round and my personal favorite, the 88s is fastest but least powerful, and 88d pro is most powerful but slowest, so it really depends on what type of player you are. All great rackets in their own ways.

precrime3 likes this.
  10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    having owned the 88s and now 88s pro, 88d pro, and 100zz basically I would say the same. Also have the 99 but my feelings are same where power can feel a bit muted due to NAMD and shuttle hold.

11. BalajiSethuraman

Is it really comparable between 100zz and 88d pro? Means, should one buy 88d pro having owned 100zz??

What I am hearing is basically and relatively same but with marginal gains whoever uses it based on their skills.

Cheung likes this.
  12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I mean that's basically rackets in general. They're all carbon, same length (5mm difference at most), and marginally different. Even the most different rackets (llike a compact head ZF2 and a normal head sized nanoflare 700) have probably a few percentage points difference in terms of head size, shaft stiffness, etc.

And again it's up to you. I own both. The 88d pro is fun but I prefer versatility vs. slightly more hitting power the 88d pro gives me. I keep it around when I'm playing casually doubles or something because it's fun to just hit hard

Nihal likes this.
  13. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hi dude
    thanks this really helps
    I usually play singles attacking game and I have the astrox77 4u but I think its too sluggish at fast drives and stuffs. so you think the 88drpo will suit my game style more than the 99pro, 100zz and the 88spro? as I have a more attacking style and win my points through it?

14. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Singles attacking? If you're worried about fast drives in singles seems like you're actually playing doubles style haha. So 88d pro or 100zz is more up your alley IMO

Nihal likes this.
  15. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hello
    I am a singles player who has a strong smash and rely on my pushes to deep court and smash to win points. I think I told you recently that I got an Astrox 77 4u version, but the main problem with it is that its too slow when it comes to quick reflexive drives and that is my usual weakness.
    Now I want to get a racket that will help meretain my good attack, good sweetspot and forgiveness, and also is not an absolute sledgehammer like the 99 or Z force 2.

My main verdicts are (in order): Astrox 88d pro, Astrox100 zz, Astrox 88spro
    All 4ug5
    1) Astrox 88d pro: As it has a larger sweetspot and is not extra stiff like the OG 88d and has lumsome amount of power and is also very quick compared to the OG88 or OG99. People also say it is faster than the 100zz.
    2)Astrox 100zz: It has a really nice lovely design and ik its not relevant to buy a racket on this basis. Good power and control ig?
    3) 88spro: Less head heavier than the dpro but I think will lack power than the dpro.

Please suggest which of the above you think will suit me the best.
    Thanks

16. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

I currently own OG88s and 100zz, while have been able to try out the pro versions of the 88 (though for only about an hour each). It's hard to say which is exactly the best because I choose a racquet based on how much I like the feeling. I do not like racquets where I can feel a lot of the head weight, so 88d was not my cup of tea.

Amongst the three, it's safest to say that 88s pro won't fit your needs as I find that it lacks a lot of power especially at 4u, although pretty swift.

If quick drives are your problem, I'd say that both will be adequate. Personally, I found the 100zz to be faster but the 88d wasn't far off. I can't judge on smashing power for you as I hit harder with speedier racquets that still have some head weight, but I think for most people 88d pro would hit harder. 88d pro is also a lot more forgiving and I find it easier to use the first time I used it.

If you can, I'd suggest trying them yourself first. But I suppose I'd recommend 88d pro.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Nuno G. and Nihal like this.
  17. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Thanks you, will go forward with the Astrox 88d pro 4ug5 as I mainly play singles and need quick reflexes and some big guns from the back fo the court :)