Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

In all honesty, I did NOT expect Tonami to not have after-pro-career employment, they have so many darn guys, predominantly male, and is a transport company.

Not asking Keigo and Kamura to move boxes or house, but surely the job scope in Tonami is something guys, particularly super fit ones can take... IMO. Or, you know, managing a bunch of fleet drivers...

For Unisys I can somewhat see why, an IT cert is maybe needed for anything inside...

You make me low key worry for KamuSono and YutaEndo now.. but I believe they would do ok.
    As for Aya, Sayaka...... GG...

kurako likes this.
  2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    every company has non-physical depts. like accounting, human resources (aya ohori), customer service, management, sales, it, corporate planning (natsuki nidaira), legal, etc... ~6,500 employees can't all be physical labor. http://www.tonami-badminton.jp/players_staff.html
    so there's no non-it jobs in a company the size of unisys out of ~7,800 employees?

#2142 samkool, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    LenaicM likes this.
  3. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Hummm.... What have we here.. Well if you want to put it in such a "guai lan" way... sure, I guess there indeed will exist a bone in an egg if you look hard enough...

I'm sorry I was just mulling out loud in general, people who toiled the first quarter of their lives in one trade, probably no time to focus much on other things after highschool/uni, then having to suddenly make a sharp transition to another field at near 30 or beyond and probably not wanting to be the most junior in rank or income after switching... I guess that was not detailed enough of me...

By technicality, yeah, a janitor in Unisys is still an employee... I was not careful enough there...

I apologize my generalization was too rudimentary for your liking, mr. 118 year old BWF Tournament director... sumimasen, gomen-nasai.. 90⁰ degree bow like the Evergreen company Japanese which owns the ship running aground in Suez...

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you're still young so i forgive you my son. now clean the toilets on your way out like the mediocre sanitation engineer you aspire to be and don't be late again tomorrow. you already have two strikes.

all your base are belong to me.

#2144 samkool, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    pali.69 likes this.
  5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The Osaka International Challenge has been cancelled yet again this year, and National Team B players, in particular, are finding it difficult to gauge their match fitness. Albeit restricted to the domestic scene, they are finally being afforded an opportunity to fight it out this weekend at the 'Bird Japan Special Match in Osaka'.

With Day 1 having taken place yesterday, the results of this exhibition event were as follows:

MS
    1. Koga Minoru (NTT-East) 2 - 1 (19-21, 21-19, 21-18) Hatano Riku (Tonami)
    2. Onodera Yusuke (Unisys) 2 - 0 (21-12, 21-15) Hatano Riku
    3. Tanaka Yushi (Nihon U) 2 - 1 (17-21, 21-17, 21-18) Naraoka Kodai (IMG)

WS
    1. Takahashi Asuka (Yonex, National Team A) 2 - 0 (21-19, 21-18) Gunji Riko (Saishunkan)
    2. Shimoda Natsumi (Hiroshima Gas) 2 - 0 (21-12, 21-10) Nidaira Natsuki (Tonami)
    3. Mizui Hirari (NTT-East) 2 - 1 (15-21, 22-20, 21-16) Kawakami Saena (Hokuto Bank)
    4. Gunji Riko 2 - 0 (21-17, 21-17) Saito Shiori (ACT SAIKYO)

MD
    1. Kubota (Tonami)/Onodera M. (Unisys) 2 - 1 (13-21, 21-14, 21-19) Midorikawa (Waseda U)/Yamada (Nippon Sport Science U)
    2. Takeuchi/Matsui (Hitachi Eng.) 2 - 1 (21−17, 19−21, 21−16) Inoue/Mitsuhashi (Unisys)

WD
    1. Hoshi/Matsuda (Unisys) 2 - 0 (21-15, 21-16) Shinoya (NTT-East)/Saito Saito N. (ACT SAIKYO)
    2. Yokoyama/Yasaki (San-in Godo Bank) 2 - 0 (21-18, 21-18) Nakanishi/Iwanaga (Unisys)

XD
    1. Nishikawa/Ozaki (NTT-East) 2 - 0 (21-10, 21-16) Yamada (Nippon Sport Science U)/Ikeuchi (77 Bank)
    2. Yamashita/Shinoya (NTT-East) 2 - 0 (21-12, 21-18) Midorikawa (Waseda U)/Saito N (ACT SAIKYO)

Today, the following matches will be featured on JSports:
    MS: Koga Minoru v Onodera Yusuke
    WS: Nidaira Natsuki v Mizui Hirari
    WD: Hoshi/Matsuda v Nakanishi/Iwanaga
    XD: Midorikawa/Saito N v Yamada/Ikeuchi

Pcyl and jyeung like this.
  6. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Thanks kurako for this info.

I would love to watch the matches. Any replay on you tube? Or better, "live stream?"

7. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I see good quality.... in koga minoru and takahashi asuka. Others too.

8. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Where do you see that? :D

9. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Takahashi Asuka vs Gunji Riko from Day 1. Gunji needs to be more patient. She's making a lot of errors on the offense.

Pcyl and Cunning Linguist like this.
  10. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

New Saishunkan captain...

[​IMG]

...immediately introduces unprecedented levels of respectability:

[​IMG]

11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

This information is one week old, but the results of Day 2 (April 4) of the 'Bird Japan Special Match in Osaka' were as follows. The information includes the matches that were not aired on JSports. Incidentally, Naraoka Kodai, who was originally slated to meet Koga Minoru on Day 2, pulled out due to a leg injury:

MS
    1. Onodera Yusuke (Unisys) 2 - 0 (24-22, 21-15) Koga Minoru (NTT-East)
    2. Tanaka Yushi (Nihon U) 2 - 1 (19-21, 21-14, 21-12) Hatano Riku (Tonami)

WS
    1. Takahashi Asuka (Yonex, National Team A) 2 - 1 (21-16, 17-21, 21-17) Shimoda Natsumi (Hiroshima Gas)
    2. Mizui Hirari (NTT-East) 2 - 0 (21-15, 21-17) Nidaira Natsuki (Tonami)
    3. Nidaira Natsuki (Tonami) 2 - 0 (21-5, 21-10) Gunji Riko (Saishunkan)
    4. Kawakami Saena (Hokuto Bank) 2 - 0 (21-18, 21-6) Saito Shiori (ACT SAIKYO)

MD
    1. Yamashita (NTT-East)/Midorikawa (Waseda) 2 - 1 (21−19, 16−21, 25−23) Inoue/Mitsuhashi (Unisys)
    2. Kubota (Tonami)/Onodera M. (Unisys) 2 - 1 (15−21, 21−18, 21−15) Takeuchi/Matsui (Hitachi Eng.)

WD
    1. Yokoyama/Yasaki (San-in Godo Bank) 2 - 0 (21−16, 22−20) Shinoya/Ozaki (NTT-East)
    2. Nakanishi/Iwanaga (Unisys) 2 - 0 (21−18, 21−18) Hoshi/Matsuda (Unisys)

XD
    1. Midorikawa (Waseda U)/Saito N (ACT SAIKYO) 2 - 0 (21-13, 21-16) Yamada (Nippon Sport Science U)/Ikeuchi (77 Bank)
    2. Yamashita/Shinoya (NTT-East) 2 - 0 (21-19, 21-18) Nishikawa/Ozaki (NTT-East)

With the cancellation of many lower tier international tournaments, it is difficult to gauge the strength of the B Team, as a whole. However, this particular two-day "Special Match" goes some way in demonstrating the relative strength within the national team. Needless to say, Covid-19 has underscored discrepancies in the players' training environment. What corporate team, if any, they are affiliated to, may well have had an impact.

As far as MD is concerned, however, the "Kubota (Tonami)/Onodera M. (Unisys)" combination seems to have yielded results, despite the fact that these two players are affiliated to different corporate teams. They weren't even together at HS or university.

The next domestic event involving this level of the field, incidentally, is the all-important Ranking Circuit, due to be held on May 29 - June 2. As spectators are not permitted, this event may well be streamed. :):)

Pcyl likes this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Nishimoto Kenta has signed a two-year contract with Mizuno as a "brand ambassador". From now on, he can be expected to sport the company's shoes, racquet, strings, bag, apparel, etc.

As he is currently a ronin, Nishimoto will undoubtedly be grateful for any financial support he can get, ... but it is probably too little too late as far as Tokyo 2020 is concerned.

upload_2021-4-11_11-12-9.png

jyeung and Sumanth99 like this.
  13. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I watch the full length Koga Minoru vs Yusuke Onedera. I think Koga Minoru has good skills (good speed, footwork, net control, power, quick thinking for attacks and defense ...). I hope he will not just be satisfied with having all these great qualities. He will have great ambitions and determination to go for the win and go for big goals.

I don't know how others view Minoru Koga and Asuka Takahashi but I like their play styles and to me, I believe they can be trained up to excel. But of course, they themselves must have the ambition to want to become someone who can win for themselves or for their country.

14. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Yes, everyone noticed Momota's dropped in confidence and qualities in recent All England matches. At the same time, everyone kind of know that this was expected. I always felt Ginting, Shi Yuki, Axelson, Antosen, Lee Ji Jia can be a threat to Momota.

Watching the All England match again, I think I have regained confidence that these threats are not something that Momota cannot handle once he regains confidence and form and also when he works on making some improvements. I can see Momota "climbing to the top" in a matter of time whether he wins the Olympic or not. But of course, I hope he will be ready for the Olympic because he deserves it.

BTW, I put "climbing to the top" in inverted commas because the truth is he is still at the top.

KhoaHa likes this.
  15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

If you watch Momota's reflections on the AE on his YouTube channel, you will note that he has not lost too much in the way of confidence. He actually thought that he could take the match against Lee Zii Jia, but acknowledges that over-complacency (after all, he had never before lost to this player) and 'little things' turned the tide, and it was these factors that resulted in his becoming 'timid' during the match.

Momota may well have been neglecting to pay much attention to this particular tie-up, and instead, will probably have been preparing for the upcoming match against Axelsen. Whatever the case, he sounds less deflated than expected. He feels that there is a lot he learnt from his participation in the AE, and he now knows what he needs to work on.

16. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Nishimoto really wants to refresh himself, but unluckily there isn't a lot of tournaments to take experiment and fix weaknesses.

1 year pass and Nishimoto said that he had no much improvement.

I feel that Nishimoto found every way to make himself move forward but ........... he lost the way.

Miracle, I wait for a miracle!

17. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

hi kurako,

Any more news about the Osaka International Challenge ?

Has Asuka Takahashi won? or Mizui Hirari?

Shimono is not playing?

Thanks for the encouraging information and video about Momota. It is true that Lee Ji Jia has trainned hiself to make effective smashes from the baseline just like Ginting and Axelson. But, I know it is not something that Momota cannot handle when he is back in good form and when he makes improvements that I believe he will make.

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Hi, Pcyl. Thanks for your follow-up.

Just to clarify: As the "Osaka International Challenge" was cancelled, the NBA decided to give National Team B+ members an opportunity to play in a real match 'set-up' by staging the "Bird Japan Special Match in Osaka". Badminton-playing elementary and junior high school pupils were allowed into the hall as spectators, which helped maintain some form of tournament atmosphere. However, as this was not a tournament, but rather, a series of exhibition matches, there was no overall champion, as such.

I am not sure how the players were selected: Some may have refused invitations to play; some may have been injured. It is a shame that Shimono did not feature; he is an exciting player to watch.

As for Momota, I look forward to seeing his game at the India Open! :):)

Pcyl likes this.
  20. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Thanks kurako for the information about the special tournament in Osaka. I am also hoping to see Momota in the india open 2021.

Yes, I was impressed by Shimono in the recent Japan tournament. His style is good. It is different from Momota's style but I think he should work on it. Momota is very all rounded. Many of his opponents recognized this strength in Momota. This is why they know it is not going to be easy to devise any one way to overcome Momota. And much of Momota's strength is his internal discipline. External skills and power can be copied and trained even though it takes time and it is not always easy. But internal discipline is not so easy to copy and train up because it is accumulation of one's unique life experiences. What is great about Momota is he is able to add great skills and external power on top of these internal discipline. This makes him a very all rounded and flexible player. His badminton defense and attacking instinct are also very well developed.

kurako and KhoaHa like this.