Grip for a brand new racquet??

Discussion in 'Grip' started by CarsonGrey, Jan 11, 2021.

1. CarsonGrey

CarsonGrey New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am also wondering if any of you could help me out in choosing the correct grip for my needs. I am primarily a power player and I only play doubles. I'm 6'0 and weigh 190 lbs. I had just recently bought the Wilson Attacker and I want to and a grip to it. Which kind of grip should I get and will adding an additional grip affect the HH and 2U specs of the racquet?
    Thank you for your help,

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.

How you grip a racket is a very much an individual preference.
    Some people take off the original grip and use a thin overgrip directly onto the wood, whereas some people add grips on top of the original grip.

If the original grip feels comfortable then I cant see any reason to change it.
    When its worn then to maintain a similar thickness change the original grip for something like a karakal pu super grip.

The thickness of your grip can affect the feel you have of the racket and also can lead to tennis elbow if the grip is too thin. If you have any of those issues then adjust your grip as required.

speCulatius likes this.
  3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

It can also lead to tennis elbow when the grip is too thick!

I think that's the only thing to add.

Woesi and Dave1011 like this.
  4. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Ive heard the opposite too, people getting tennis elbow from gripping a small grip too hard.

5. speCulatius

I'm just saying I'm adding it, it always depends on what's really happening.
    Same with the weight of rackets and elbow injuries, either too heavy or too light can favor injuries (it pretty much never is THE cause).

For grips, it's the same, it can be the vibration through the thin grip, it can be gripping too tightly the thin grip, it can be having gripping issues on a thicker grip... I really just wanted to add that when reading your post, nothing of what you wrote is wrong.

Dave1011 likes this.
  6. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Great thanks, I agree that lots of things have to be taken into account.

7. Broto

Broto New Member

Sorry but grip isnt the culprit for wrist or elbow injury.But you CAN get blisters from your grip

8. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Sorry, I disagree with that e.g. having a grip that's too small often leads to holding the racquet too tight which can put more strain on the connective tissues in your arm leading to inflammation etc.

speCulatius and Dave1011 like this.
  9. Broto

Broto New Member

Maybe I didnt explain right .

This is how it goes ---- If you get a wrist , elbow , deltoid , shoulder , finger injury from swinging a badminton racket , its your HANDLE that wounds you , always , EVEN with human variables incorporated .....period

10. speCulatius

When a different grip setup changes the way you hold your racket while playing, changing it can be useful. It is useless to discuss whether you could achieve the same thing with conscious effort that distracts you from playing... and that's pretty much what you're doing here.

Without a conscious effort, a different grip setup can [will] change you hold your racket. Different angles in the joints, different pressure points, different amount of force you apply without thinking about it.

So yes, a grip setup can worsen or even cause injuries.

#10 speCulatius, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Dave1011 likes this.