2021 Yonex Astrox 88S/D PRO & GAME versions

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Vivek Bagadhi, Jan 7, 2021.

1. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Take a dry swing before going for it.. 88d 3u is heavy already..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I've been using a 88d 3u for 6 months with no issue was just hoping its a little faster so. Hoping the change to 88d pro 3u does that for me...going from 3u to 4u on any racket will make it faster but I was wondering if I keep the same 3u this being a new racket with new technology the racket is designed to be faster at the same weight...

BalajiSethuraman likes this.
  3. wengkhan

wengkhan New Member

sales
    Coming from voltric 80
    Do you think ax88 d pro would be a good choice ? Or had any one tried mizuno fortius 10 quick

4. BalajiSethuraman

Just go through the 88s/d thread fairly in just 2 pages u will get an idea on how it plays. Then just don’t believe those go straight to the shop and take a dry swing of it. Try your fav shorts in dry swing. I am sure u will definitely get a better idea if that suits u or not.

If you don’t wanna do the above!! Then my 2 cents

You might feel the head of 88d as slightly lighter as voltric 80 is considered to be the trademark head heavy weapon.. the manoeuvrability of 88d 3u is going to be little easy if ur using voltric 80 3u!! 88d 4u will be a feather for u.. u won’t get that easy power that u get in VT80. Nevertheless the power would be optimal in 88d.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Fortius 10 are made in Japan, the price is similar to Yonex JP Code to.
    Fortius 30 Power/Control are at the same price range to non JP Yonex.
    But anyway you ask 2 different racket, i mean different characteristic. F10Q are front player racket while 88D Pro or not are back player racket. So its not quite apple to apple if you want to compare.

Voltric series are power oriented racket, Astrox tho its still head heavy class, they reduce abit of power but gain more manouver. Regardless what Yonex Marketing say, the power output wont be equal as Voltric but the manouver on Astrox really help on double fast pace. So depend on your preference, you might like it or you might not like it either.

6. wengkhan

wengkhan New Member

sales
    Thanks for the advice
    I am currently using voltric80 in 4u
    Mayb I will just get the ax88d pro in 4u too

7. wengkhan

wengkhan New Member

sales
    I am just afraid that the dry swing test can’t give the real feeling in game

8. BalajiSethuraman

No ur wrong.. dry swing would be the closest real time testing and impressions of the racket rather than few words or review from us or even from the experts..

9. boby

boby Regular Member

unfortunately... there's still not available yet for 88d pro 3U at my several trusted shop. only 4U version.

this is marketing strategy or what?

10. BalajiSethuraman

Yes it is.. pro players uses 3u version of 88d and 88s and only after about an year or so the 3u version made its way through the market from limited availability till largely available.. if I am not wrong in 2020 jan or feb 3u version of 88d isnt available un India largely and u had to fish for it!!!

boby likes this.
  11. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Where did you find one in India?????

12. BalajiSethuraman

Still haven’t found one!! May be someone who have found.. that why I said u need to fish it!!

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  13. Thehoilord

Thehoilord Regular Member

anyone have an updated for 88spro?

14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Does 88D Tour are a big mistake made by Yonex? Till now i can find 88S tour everywhere but none sell 88D Tour.
    For 88S pro that having less hole makes it different from 88S Tour.
    But 88D case is that Tour Series are not much different, so kinda if they sell 88D Tour, the Pro selling would drop alot.

15. Thehoilord

Thehoilord Regular Member

After 3 hour session of 88sPro 4u bg66brilliant 26p it is agile , precision, dominate front court and mid court but I feel a significant lag of power I mean if you put effort 100% to 88sog it will produce 80-90% but in this racket I feel 70%or lower(maybe my first session need to tune more to get use to with racket I think this racket can compare with brave12 ) I like new isometric frame it help me in defense a lot

16. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Thats what im wondering as well. Where is the 88D tour???

17. Jkhor

Jkhor New Member

Been using with the 88d 4u Green/Red for 2 years and switched to 88d pro 4u last week.
    Pro- more user friendly as not that hard feeling compare to 88d, control wise more elastic for me and its very nice to ply with
    Con- Power slightly weak compared to the 88d as more flexible feeling when hit from the rear court, smash by using 88d is still the best for me
    88d pro its more user friendly to anyone I believe as its flexible yet powerful.
    My string bg 66um 27lbs

18. Galliano

Galliano New Member

Had a few games with the new 88D Pro 4U. Beginning to like it lots. I can't feel much of a power differential between the Pro and the original 88D. But I'm better in control now with the Pro.

19. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Here's are the links to a two-part, full Korean review, you can run it through google translate if you'd like

Part 1
    https://blog.naver.com/bug1982/222290876554
    Part 2
    https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=bug1982&logNo=222292107241&navType=tl

This guy also reviewed the original 88s and 88d, and preferred the Pro versions over both. Here's the gist of what he said about the Pro models

- 88s pro is more suitable for doubles than the originals due to its improvement in drive, defense, and control. The shorter shaft is more responsive, thus better suited for responsive play and short strokes in doubles. Also, the new string pattern creates bigger gaps within the string bed, which increases the holding feel when compared to the original 88s.
    - The original 88d felt too similar to Astrox 99. If the old 88d was focused on hard hitting, this new 88d pro made some sacrifices in power for improvement in control. It felt more flexible, and the shorter shaft made improvements in the control and defense department, much like how 88s pro improved upon its predecessor.
    - In conclusion, both the 88d pro and 88s pro are improvements over the originals when it comes to playing doubles, mostly due to the shaft's more responsive nature.

My thoughts on the subject:
    As someone who plays only doubles, I always preferred a softer but shorter shaft over a stiffer but longer shaft, assuming the two shafts have similar stiffness during play. The way a shorter shaft bends and quickly resets during short strokes always made me feel more accurate when distributing shuttle across the entirety of the court. With Yonex making such changes to its flagship doubles model, I'm assuming the trend for the foreseeable future has been set, if it has not been set already.

#179 ChocoChipWaffle, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  20. Broto

Broto New Member

68 grommet down from 76 , where 84 , 96 are available in the market .....whats yonex up to here...hope it doesnt seriously underpower astrox 88s pro
    Seems like stringing costs are being cut .There is a review out there how coaches are using 20 racket worth string length to use in 29 rackets using dirrent string pattern
    -----Market monopoly always affects product quality grossly and end consumer suffers.