2021 Yonex Astrox 88S/D PRO & GAME versions

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Vivek Bagadhi, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    bought 88D pro in 3ug6
    what a power beast!!!
    very powerful, but in trade of speed. It was slower compared to my other rackets (4u 100zz and 3u z-strike) since it is around 300mm bp. smashes and drive shots were great, but it kinda sluggish if you are intercepting fast drives and flick smashes. Definitely need to be in prime shape using 3u weight. If i were able to turn back time, i would rather get the 4u version to compensate the speed. Overall it is a great racket, and highly focused on attacking.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

do you own the old 88D? How does it compare to the old one?

3. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    i did own the old one but in 4u. Only used it for a week or two but somehow did not really like how the shuttle holds and the weight is a little light for 4u head heavy (probably i got the lighter side from the production batch), so i decided to trade it up with 100zz which in my opinion is a better 4u racket.

I cant really conclude the difference between the OG n pro version, but I liked the feel of 88D pro and the racket kinda holds the shuttle a little longer compared to the OG (probably due to bigger grommets on the middle section of the crosses. Stiffness wise i would say i can't really tell the difference. OG has longer shaft and 88D Pro have shorter shaft due to the new longer handle. The head of the racket definitely felt heftier and hence the power. i guess it would be better for you to go to the shop and have a feel for it.

Initially i was inclined to get the 88s pro, but it is just a little too light even in 3u and i don't like the 68 holes pattern (that's just so weirdd).

Leemarc28 likes this.
  4. Michaelgtj

Michaelgtj Regular Member

For me 88S pro is more heavier on top because the slimmer shaft effect, so the impact when hit doing better repulsion than 88S
    But the 88S the weight spread top to shaft.
    88s pro feel lighter fast shaft and heavy on top
    Depend on your style.. Which one can produce better power.

fufu27 likes this.
  5. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

Does anyone try the 88 game?
    I am intermediate player and wondering if the game version is worth buying.. Or should i just go for tour or older 88 series

6. Galliano

Galliano New Member

Having used ZF2, 100ZZ & 88D previously (all 4UG5), have to say that the 88D Pro gives better return cos it’s got more power. Especially from the rear court and smashes. The problem here lies with my inability to convert net shots. It’s largely due to my skill and prob cos I feel it’s harder to do it with the 88D (old and pro).

Anyway it’s my 1st trial w the 88D Pro. Have to get used to it, but it’ll be my game driver for now.

fyi, I initially thought the combination of gold and emerald looks kinda tacky. But it’s actually quite nice,

7. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I had a 88D 3U, I felt it was a bit slow, but I loved the power over the NF700.

I just sold the 88D to buy a 88D pro but I'm confused which weight I should get 3U or 4U? the old 88D is 3U and the only issue I has was it was a bit slow...

Any advice from people who have used both rackets pls?

8. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    You have to decide on what to trade off,
    Want speed 4U(will have more power than the nf700)
    Want power then 3U

9. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    That's exactly what I want, something in between 88D 3U and nf700 4U.

Less power than 88D but more power than nf700, less speed than nf700 but faster than old 88D.

So you are suggesting 88D pro 4u?

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Sounds like getting a 4U 88D would have solved your dilemma before. But that being said you might as well get the 4U 88D Pro instead.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

11. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I just sold it, So im hoping the 88D pro is better than the old one, they question is should i stick to the same 3U or go 4U.

12. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    probably you should go for 4u. I would usually go for 4u head heavy rackets. This time i tried my luck because i find old 4u 88D is a little light, so i decided to go for 3u. Overall it is very powerful, but the trade off is always on the speed. I feel this racket can generate a lot of power and not as sluggish as 3u ZF2. If you primarily play doubles, i think it is a safer bet to go for 4u. Or you can go to your local shop and have a dry swing comparing the 2 weight.

13. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    This is Qatar no local shops for badminton in the entire country unfortunately.

14. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    And yes I play doubles mostly

15. wengkhan

wengkhan New Member

sales
    Heard from the shop
    88s pro is have flex than 88d pro
    So he say 88s pro can generate more power
    Is it true ?

16. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

The stronger you are, the more likely you are to get more power from d than s. S would be easier to access its power than D.

The shop owner would be correct, but only if the player isn’t strong enough to harness the power of d.

17. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

4U.. Basically ur relying on the speed for ur power based on what ur choice and expectations so 4U for 88d is an option for u if ur heart says so. But then since nanoflare 700 is what ur using and raving about is a head light series beware of what ur expecting..

Nanoflare: headlight series - fast and known for speed

Astrox(replaced series of voltric): head heavy- has both front court and back court rackets.. 88s front court and 88d backcourt- backcourt is like plan, have that extra bit of time then play ur stroke - that is smash.

So it really doesn’t matter. The characteristic of the rackets are different already!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  18. justman123

justman123 New Member

Just my 2 cent.

Been an user for 88D (4U) for quite a while. Just made the purchase for an 88D pro 4U and wow... the difference is noticeable. the 88D pro just seem to be a easier swing and use racquet. Quick, control and access to power.. beyond 88D. There is a reason why this an upgraded version. 88D pro is pretty much made easier to use with better control, power and swing speed. One noticeable difference is it holds a bird a tad longer than the 88D original.

19. wengkhan

wengkhan New Member

sales
    Tahbsk
    Thanks for the advice
    Any one here tried mizuno 10 quick
    How is it compare to Ax 88 d pro
    Been considering these two racquet
    But mizuno is more expensive

20. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I was using the old 88D 3U and just wished it was a little faster the rest about the racket was all ok for me.

if you are saying the new 88D Pro is little bit faster than your old racket I guess I'll buy the 3U 88D pro it should be good for me.