Should All England remain BWF Super 1000?

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by Indo-d-best-of-best, Mar 23, 2021.

?

Should Yonex All England remain a Super 1000 series tournamet or get downgraded?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2021.
  1. Yes, England should remain a Super 1000 series tournament.

47 vote(s)
    88.7%
  2. No, downgrade next year, give the opportunity to more deserving country.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

It's around the 26:40 mark in his All England podcast if anyone is wondering.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2. RichF

RichF Regular Member

decoy likes this.
  3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

That's true even for India. India has 1.3 billion population.
    I bet you, only 0.05% may know the names of few indian players. That's it.
    You can't just pin point something like that as you mentioned in your previous post. Just because you are emotionally involved, that does not mean you can popularise badminton in "India/ far east".
    One thing I can agree, if you keep feed them badminton day in and day out, then there may be chance that they could remember players'names but in country like India, it is extremely difficult for some other sport to enter inside the cricket wall.

Trust me, I am in this business.
    Nowadays, people tend to play badminton. But just as a leisure activity.

4. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Emotionally involved? (I'm confused!)

No need to popularise it in those regions...it's already popular enough e.g. India can sustain a professional league and other countries it's almost the national sport!

#64 RichF, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Don’t see anything about an appeal to CAS here. They just accepted it as it was the correct thing to do. If only other countries could do the same eh?

6. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Totally agree ! Players from the Netherlands , Germany and France also accepted withdraw from the Orleans Masters. They all said something like " very sad , that's the rules."

skhai91, decoy, kaffars and 3 others like this.
  7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It is almost as if the reaction from Indonesia (both players and fans) has been completely and utterly ridiculous... :rolleyes:

8. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I didn't get the memo. As a German, do I now have to chain-downvote videos from the tournament, spam unrelated abuse on player's instagrams and send death threats to the BWF? :confused:

Excuse me now while I create a "Should the Orleans Masters be downgraded to Junior International Series?" - thread and get my pitchfork!

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    uhhh... almost?

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

the thing is its S100 and not S1000/SSP

and i dont think the federation of these countries care about the players. Plus they were in close contact with a known positive player so its not anonymous. that can be accepted.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    May I ask something?

I read somewhere that if you are Covid-19 positive and recovered, any subsequent tests will still come out positive. Am I right?
    If yes, for the case of AA (or any other players) who was a Covid-19 patient, how do they deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

12. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

What are you trying to say ? That is a very weak argument. From the point of view it doesn't matter whether a 100 or 1000 tournament The players want to play a tournament that suits their skills. As a player with a world ranking of around 60, you usually have no chance at all to play the 1000 tournament. I could also say that this year the Orleans Masters are more important than the All England, as Orleans has points for the Olympic qualification and Birmingham does not. ;-)

decoy likes this.
  13. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Do you think the "anonymous" passenger is fake, is that the crux of the argument?

decoy, kaffars and Bardie like this.
  14. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    Obvs a secret NHS sleeper agent waiting to activate a +ve result as soon as the ENG MD pairs were beaten.

upload_2021-3-26_10-13-41.png

15. RichF

RichF Regular Member

You've got to admire the logic in that photo

Obviously the NHS aren't sponsors so it's yet more proof of how gullible the rabid fanatics are that whoever made this screenshot has convinced them there is a link!

#75 RichF, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  16. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

I know right. Perhaps the NHS indeed is flush with cash after Brexit and that £350 million a week saved had gone into someone at NHS vested interest into badminton.

17. RichF

RichF Regular Member

The fact that it says "Thank you! NHS" is a bit of a clue they didn't write it themselves - the screenshot maker should have scrubbed out the "thank you!" to make it more believable...mind you, it doesn't seem to have stopped anyone believing anyway!

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

i think so. Even if its positive, test again just like 7.

kaffars likes this.
  19. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Blimey.

So the Indonesians think that the NHS (possibly in collusion with BE/BWF/UK Government) have committed a major fraud by inventing a positive COVID case solely for the purpose of denying Indonesia the chance of winning a tournament for a sport that involves whacking a dead budgie over a net that most of the UK doesn't know/care about?

Bit far-fetched, don't you think?

If the theorists had 2 brain cells to rub together they'd have done much better to suggest it's politically-motivated due to Indonesia's rejection of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine! (it'd still be BS, but at least there'd be a tiny shred of evidence/motive)

Edit: Scratch that, just heard Chris Whitty is a massive Axelsen fan and he says Kevin's serves are all faults!

#79 RichF, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  20. RichF

RichF Regular Member

It's a member of the public, not an athlete in a private sports bubble with access to private testing.

Should everyone in the world who tests positive be tested twice? Or only those who have caused 'special people' a problem?

Oh we should definitely spend time/resources on finding that 1 person to re-test them (even though we want them to stay isolated) because it's not like the health service is stretched right now.

People are dying.

In some ways I'd like to see the "anonymous passenger" come forward just to shut people up, but given the vicious hostility it wouldn't be a smart move. Besides, they probably had no idea they were travelling with such important superstars, so are unlikely to be aware of the global (but only in badminton) ripples their presence has caused.