Yonex ALL ENGLAND 2021 : R/32-Final (Birmingham, 17-21 March)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 17, 2021.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

you are aware that the regulation applies to any inbound travel from any countries, right?
    Not even EU-countries are exempted from this :D

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

did you not even watch the match? She was given red card TWICE........
    We have posted the match for you here

Baddyforall likes this.
  3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Thanks for your appreciation, I also enjoy to read BCers post/comment who sharing their perspective & opinion regarding YAE matches here :)

Woesi and Gacon1234star like this.
  4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yep. Red card twice. That means, Automatic disqualification. But due to Referree's intervention, Marin was allowed to play.

5. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

only can concur, yea it is way much better than reading news in the morning :)

Baddie lover likes this.
  6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

WS & XD matches today are the pick of SF day. Interesting to see too how the Danish teams get on against JPN in MD. and a big chance I feel for Caljouw to make the final if he has anything left...

7. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

Hmmm there are 3 unexpected contenders in the semi.....i hope one of them manage to create upset and goes to final......add even more spice to this spicy tourney

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yes, so she got that black card as she got the red card twice

9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

waiting for Morten to drop in here with his word or two... :D

10. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

I don't know why. I have a feeling that it will be maybe a walkover. Viktor had some problems with his ankle the last days.

11. It'sMeMeMe

Errrr where is the regular oma gill commentator?

12. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Wow, what a win by LZJ. He played some of his best badminton and he was in the zone. I never would have predicted LZJ winning, nevermind winning in 2 sets too. For Momota, I suspect Kanta Tsuneyama and Kenta Nishimoto are not pushing Momota enough in training or in the domestic Japanese tournaments. Momota needs to be playing the top players in the world - players such as CTC, Viktor, Antonsen, Chen Long, SYQ, Ginting, Christie, etc, who can push Momota to #1 again. Also, the coaches of other countries will game plan in detail against Momota. I'm not sure if Kanta Tsuneyama and Kenta Nishimoto are doing detailed game plans against Momota in the domestic Japanese tournaments - and even if they are, Momota probably knows their styles anyways because they play and train so much together. But it's different on the international circuit where Momota doesn't know the play styles of the other players as well. LZJ said he did a lot of studying and preparation against Momota: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/03/20/more-sports/no-1-kento-momota-upset-england-open/.

I'm going to assume Momota isn't suffering from any major injuries since the car accident (all pro players always have some type of lingering minor injury but they can usually play through those nagging minor injuries and win). Only Momota, his coaching staff, and his trainer would know if he has outstanding injuries that cost him loss against LZJ. What I did see though was a few times where Momota was comfortably behind the shuttle in the backcourt, and then he hit a shallow return, which allowed LZJ to smash the winner. I think there were some net plays too where Momota was comfortably at the net and the return by LZJ was not particularly tight, but he did a short lob to the back and LZJ just smashed those (this is excluding the tight net shots that LZJ hitthat were very difficult to return by Momota - I'm talking about a non-tight net shot that Momota would have routinely lobbed it to the back court in the past, but for some reason, Momota lobbed it short to the backcourt).

It seemed like Momota had difficulty reading LZJ's game, Momota was less consistent than usual, and shots that should have been routine for Momota became poor shots (ie. some shots to the backcourt that were just short).

Anyways, I had Momota as the #1 favorite to win gold at the Olympics. After his performance today, I'm not so sure anymore. We need to see Momota play in more high level international tournaments (not domestic Japanese tournaments). The good thing for Momota is that there is still time for him to fix his game and play like the world #1 he was before his car accident. Lucky for Momota, he is finding out now (it would have been better if he found out in January but whatever, there is still time until the Olympics). Imagine if Momota missed this tournament and maybe the next few tournaments, then he walks into the Olympics thinking he is still the best player in the world but then getting upset by LZJ or some other player? 4 months is plenty of time for Momota to get his game back. But he needs to play in more top level tournaments so he can get his anticipation and consistency back to where he was before the car accident.

kwun, Father Parrot and kurako like this.
  13. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Game 6 - 10

14. It'sMeMeMe

Oo

15. It'sMeMeMe

2 underdogs down 1 more to go....

16. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Endo has definitely slowed down and his defence is not as it was a year before, meanwhile Yuta has become lethal at the net exchanges. The Finals will give a better idea about Endo (whether he is playing seriously or not)

17. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Momota isn't also at his best right now, and all I can pray is that he doesn't have PTSD(it can affect his game in many ways but mainly at a mental level), that keloid scar can be removed easily though by using Triamcinolone

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I got all excited thinking this was at the AE 2021.
    I cannot ABIDE that woman.

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Withdrawals do not stop at players, it seems...
    I quite like Paul Hand, to be fair, but when they drag the eliminated children ENG players into the box for colour, that gets on my nerves.

20. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Early signs suggests Sindhu is probably going to lose to Chochuwong today.