How do I better myself if all my opponents are leagues better?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by HuffingtonClover, Mar 10, 2021.

1. HuffingtonClover

HuffingtonClover New Member

I'm taking an intro to badminton class in college and turns out me and another guy are the only ones that are actually new to it. Everyone in my class has played in a tournament. Even the other guy that's new to the game destroys me, he's 6'10 and played tennis at competition level in highschool. By the time class finishes, I'm so exhausted my hands turn blue and my back kills me.omegle xender

If it helps, I do not have my own racket and I have a sliver of tennis experience. This is the first time I've actually played a sport for this long. I've been playing for about 6 weeks

#1 HuffingtonClover, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Concentrate on yourself and not what your classmates can do

speCulatius likes this.
  3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

So this place offers you beginner's training as well, so that you can learn the basics properly? That is good, focus on that. Because only playing matches and getting killed is no fun, and actually you won't learn much from it either. So try to get as much training as possible from a trainer that will teach you basics.

Matches are fun and will also teach you a lot, but not if you get killed in them. They should be a bit evenly matched.

4. Verhoef

Verhoef Regular Member

Warehouse employee
    Do you have practice routines or only matches in your class? If the matches are at the end of the class maybe you can skip them till you´re confident enough or improved alot to compete with the other players.

If you are planning to continue playing for a longer period my advice to you is to buy a decent beginners racket (even-balanced) to start with. After a while you can look at what style of play suits you more, power (head-heavy) or skills/doubles (head-light) and if you can afford it buy a racket that relates to this.

Regarding the pain in your hands: Maybe your holding your racket to tight or the grip is worn out or not comfortable. Solution could be to put an overgrip over the original grip if this is possible.

Hope this helps you!

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Try other beginner badminton classes. In some areas there are so many beginner badminton classes. Really if you try different social clubs they often prefer that new players get some coaching and they sometimes know of beginner classes.

Also if you hang around in that beginner class then that might encourage the other new guy to stick around. And maybe some more real new or terrible players will appear.

It may or might generally take years to go from beginner to intermediate. I have seen beginner classes where people have been there for years. One class I saw had some ladies that never got out!

And sometimes the guy that runs the beginner classes offers 1-1 coaching so that could be a path to an intermediate class. Eg see if he can train you. Or if any coach can train you to help you pass the level of beginner. It is a big project.

Most beginner classes are very easy physically. But college might be a funny one. Cos colleges compete and many 20 year old males are physically strong and robust even with good endurance. Bad form can also cause back issue. Really speak to the other new guy and talk to him about it and consider look for easier beginner classes together and eg call local leisure centres.

Then try going back to that tough beginner class when you are better at it!

#5 ralphz, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

How do I better myself if all my opponents are leagues better?
    Those are your question.
    The answer actually, you can become better when you face a better opponent. You wont grow much if you just stay in your comfort zone, playing with the same person, the same skill level.
    The main issue are how you maintain good mental. Never give up, willing to learn, & good attitude. & last, find a good environtment. If you are there just to become sandbag, or just little monkey that being bullied all time, then leave it & find another club. But if you can gain some training, tips, & critics, it might be a good place for you to grow.

Im not an athlete but just a hobby & sport activity on my spare time. I had no actual coach but i guest im in luck to find so many better player that want to play with a dumb me, teach me thing, & critics me when im doing wrong so that i without realize it im competing in my work company yearly tournament equally with all those skilled player. & yes the hard part are how to maintain good mental when you keep getting beaten again & again, getting yelled by your way better partner everytime you do mistake, & sometimes getting bullied.

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I'm sure he knows that. But there's a difference between "better" and "leagues better".

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OP is a beginner. Just realise Rome wasn’t built in day. Sport is not like studying where you can cram knowledge.

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

yes thats why... As long the environtment are good for learning, its fine as im also in those situation. Didnt know how to hold racket, how to swing properly, & just abuse my excesive power while the better player that teach me are way better than me. I think only him the only godly player (in my eye:p) from neighbour court that willing to play with me a mere mortal. But as my skill goes up, the others start to acknowledge me & ask me to join them.

very true:D
    You may know all the knowledge about badminton. How to hold your racket, smashing tech, footwork, & all but in reality especially badminton sport (the fastest racket sport) you dont have few sec to think, remember the knowledge, & implement it in your games. It happen in an instance in ablink of eye. You want your body to learn it, not only your brain. If i remember Dragonballs anime, its kinda like mastering Ultra Instinct:p, a God level technique:eek:. For those it takes time for your body to learn it.