HSBC-BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2020 : Group Stage-Final (27-31 January 2021)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 25, 2021.

1. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I miss seeing Siwei torture Sapsiree with his dropshots.
    Chae is just too weak
    Nothing to watch here anymore, would be a miracle if Seo/Chae win.
    I'm off buying bubble tea :oops:

visor and Woesi like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

omg SSJ my tears for you. Maybe he ll learn how tough it is to play double double.

5 semifinals = 0 titles .

3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Agreed with you guys regarding the wrong judgement of umpire that AA is deliberately not putting in an effort in g2. this also happened to AH/HS in the WC19 final. In both cases, both AA and AH/HS had won g1. They also started g2 fighting, looking to end the final in 2 straight games. Only when they realized that was a lost cause, that they decided to conserve energy for g3.

Sundis and galaxyduo like this.
  4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Btw, any news of Tommy Sugiarto? He is in top 32 but he didnt play these 3 tournaments..

5. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

No way! The way Marin delayed serving and recieving is totally unetiquette!!! She can be the best player but will never get the respect from an upright person/player.

whatAHassle likes this.
  6. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

She only refused if the other player refused her first.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Big applause for Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai who score three successive victories at home soil. Losing concentration in second game, the Thais are back to business in decider with total command to overpower the Koreans Seo/Chae.

Three-week badminton overdose in Bangkok, BWF tour will shift to Europe in March if all go well as planned.

8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

about winning streak, Momota has 27 in one season and 32 in 2 two seasons.

If Momota skipped French Open, it could be 35 wons in one season, amazing. momota chuá»—i.jpg

Baddyforall likes this.
  9. MilaRedkani

MilaRedkani New Member

Congrats to LY/WCL and ST/DP for the 3 titles in Bangkok!!! What an achievement! Both Axelsen and Marin couldnt create the hattrick just like MD and XD, but happy to see TTY and AA's expressions at the end of the final matches, well deserved win!.

To me it has been a wonderful month with the BWF circuit has resumed. Thank you Thailand for hosting the first three tournaments after almost a year without the live action of the world badminton players!

I am soo loking forward for the next tournaments (with improved arrangement of everything)! and hopefully Indonesian players can do much better - show much more eagerness to play at their best and win!! and also the Japan and China players please....

Dangho and visor like this.
  10. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

match should change to 5 sets. Not 5x11 but 4x14+1x11. More sets and a bit more points. So if anyone throw a set, its just 1/5 match with bad quality, not 1/3

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

4 sectors dont have WR1 participating, that probably turned people off. That 'to beat...' factor is missing.

In my opinion, from all the lineups MS is still the most competitive. Like someone said, its missing injury recovered Momota, CL & injury recovered SYQ, unless you take Nishimoto/ HYX as challengers, etc then I think Axelsen and Antonsen is worthy winner. though respective camp will always feel what if their best players come and play?

Others like WD WS MD is really uncompetitive , imo. MD is missing 4/5 top seeds on top of another 3 CHN, 3 JPN pairs, and 3 TPE pairs who can cause beat anyone on their days. WS is also missing 3/5 top seeds.

#331 Yoji, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

It was like "Kento Fever" before this "Corona Fever" among players. He ruled the circuit like anything. Unbelievable.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  13. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Neanderthalic reactions like this are the reason any player would do this.

If they can get an observer like you to get worked up and spout gibberish, imagine what it does to their opponents lol

Woesi and Father Parrot like this.
  14. Father Parrot

Father Parrot Regular Member

To be honest, even if Antonsen was in a scenario where he had plenty of energy and had no need to conserve it, I would still support him in his choice to throw the second game. Sure it's not as exciting to watch but that's just the second set. The following set makes it all the more interesting to see if the gamble pays off, to see if the player gets affected and how they deal with it. This is merely strategy, an attempt to disrupt the players psyche, which is all very valid and the loser can only blame themselves for losing themselves to it. I also want to add that "effort" is relative to the player, the umpire has no business to dictate on how the player should play unless there's a fault. Today Anders did what it took to win and that's what a player should aim to do. Win, irregardless of the way. Except for when you scream like an obnoxious kid.

decoy likes this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

No no! Let me pm you my address to ship to!

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That point he made is only of importance when it's either not the final, so the winner gets to save themselves compared to a finalist who had to win vs real opposition, or when the tournament is a qualifier for sth else (like the 2008 AE for the 2008 OG). Neither applies here, so your argument is invalid. The Danish team has nothing to gain by any particular result here. There is zero indication of the players being influenced in any fashion.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Your analogy is ridiculous.

Whether a delayed serve like Choi's or constant delays of game like Marin's (or the incessant screeching) are worse is a very subjective matter with no clear-cut objective answer. I find Marin way more annoying, but by no means do I claim that to be the only way to feel about it.
    Neither should be allowed imop.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No kidding

19. visor

visor Regular Member

How many warnings are required before a yellow card or red card is shown? I'd say 4-5 warnings is more than enough. These umpires are just too ridiculously lenient. Nag nag nag and no action.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#339 visor, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Sundis, j4ckie and Father Parrot like this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That format sounds stupid to begin with, additionally a player could theoretically throw 2 sets for 40% of the sets - already more than the 33% it is now, and the fact that you suggest a shorter 5th makes it even more than that. In 5x11, individual games lose meaning, and there's less potential for comebacks, which are also usually less spectacular. I made the switch once and hated it, I don't want to repeat it yet again.

decoy likes this.