badminton-racket-review usefulness

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by SnowWhite, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Swat

Swat Regular Member

If I find the time, I would collect all the Facebook/raquetforce data in a spreadsheet...

speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  2. Eix82

Eix82 Regular Member

They do measure swing weight also.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I know, that's what I was saying basically...

4. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Not sure if many people have noticed but there have been new videos added to youtube.
    The bucket control test has been dropped! Thanks for listening BRR :D

Things have improved and I have to admit that the reviews are better. Being critical, presentation could be less clumsy with long pauses to read off a screen but the progress is in the right direction. It is good to see that whilst badminton is losing popularity in some places somebody is working hard to help. Two thumbs up.

5. Khady

Khady Regular Member

I find it interesting that the reviews are more targeted at normal/casual people. He often recommends rackets that are easy to play with, from brands such as apacs/abroz/... Almost all the other reviews online focus on the higher end rackets from the top brands. So despite some imperfections in their test setup, I think that it's a good to have this alternative.

ckhh and BalajiSethuraman like this.
  6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree totally. As long as you know your personal window in terms of head weight and stiffness the rest preferences like compact/no compact, stringing layout and frame profile are easy to answer. I personally think that if you demoed a half of douzen different rackets from club mates and friends you will have a relative clear image of what you need and want. If the stiffness is 1.08 or 1.10 or the head weight 41.2 or 40.8g don't change much. As long as you know which extremes you don't like a choice is pretty easy. Also the psychological aspect plays for many people a huge role. How many get misleaded by the flagship/pro player idol aspect? I doubt that the sales and popularity on these rackets are so high, because they fit for so many players and they all can use it.

7. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

I kinda felt this even.. in many videos I hear this phrase.. “if ur technique is good, and u can play proper shots this racket can give u a great smash..” or relatively similar phrase.. and another one “ This racket is not for everyone” u can see n7ii or n9ii or ax99 reviews.

IMO.. If a person can go behind the shuttle with proper technique he/she can hit a devastating smash with 20$ cheap racket also..

badminton is all about timing and technique. If not today, in due time people get used to timings if they are playing regularly, Serious badminton players will pick the technique as well in some time.

So not sure what kind of audience BRR is targeting..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Of course BRR is focusing on the majority who are either beginner or poor mostly both.

9. BalajiSethuraman

May be. cos He gave a thumbs down for Mizuno JPX CX and literally trashed it saying it’s not good at any department in doubles, but that’s my go to racket for a good game. Also I own a Kawasaki honor s6. Both the rackets are of different characteristics and I have no problems with both the rackets.

I have n7ii also which I am yet to unpack lol!!!

10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    BRR gave -ve reviews to N9II, N7II, N80II which some of the most loved rackets in this forum.

11. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Have you tried the rackets they recommended though? Maybe it will be much better than the Mizuno. :D

12. BalajiSethuraman

Yes all my 3 are there in his review. Refer my post earlier

13. Badminton.greatest.sport

Of all brands? I see a lot of new brands, like this one www.basicfeather.com
    What otherf new brands do you guys see?

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Watched a bit of their latest reviews and I'm kind of torn apart about them. The plus side, they are very well made and they really try to cover a lot of things about the rackets.

The general problem I see is that a badminton racket is just a really horrible thing to put in a video review. I mean, it's fairly easy to review and demo stuff like musical instruments cause the viewer can actually sense some of the performance for himself. But how do you transport the feel of a racket through a video? And on top of that, if the rating of a racket is so much depending on the actual player who uses it? That's about as complicated as making a video review for a bottle of wine. You can rave endlessly about "floury, earthly, fruity tastes", but does any viewer has any clue how the wine really tastes in the end or if you will like it?

So thumbs up for the effort, but don't expect any review out there to contain "the truth" about a racket. Cause that truth lies in the hands of each user. So IMO a good database including weights (total, swing and/or head weight) and a standardised stiffness rating would do the trick as well.

speCulatius, Coolkas and Swat like this.
  15. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Well, despite that the audience can't actually feel it, at least theres people watching it and they got at least the base image on how the racket feel as many reviewer usually explain what racket they prefer and their playstyle
    On the extreme side is football boots, look at Unisport YT Channel and how well they perform :D

16. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Well, I've done my share of trying friends rackets, then buying what I thought would work based on their advice and/or the manufacturers specifications, costing hundreds of dollars, all without any decent success so far. Since manufacturers have no across-the-board standards, two rackets may have the exact same specs, but actually be completely different. Thanks a lot............. very useful....................

This time I'm going to use Badminton Racket Reviews ezone, but I think they really need our help, which in turn will help us.

I think they are making a valid attempt to provide the most useful information available, because if you are like me, and the closest city that actually has a badminton store is 5 hours away, your options for testing different rackets are limited to only what your friends have. I say they need our help because we all know some of their tests are very flawed. The "Smash Test" - using the same player to try to hit it consistently day after day. Not possible with a human being. You guys need to build some kind of trebuchet-like apparatus that slings the racket like a player would, and do it at 3 different speeds to account for the different strengths of prospective buyers. And you can set the 3 speeds of that machine by bringing a weak, average, and strong smasher in front of a cops radar gun to get their average racket head speeds, then program your machine to replicate them. Or something like that.

This is why they need our help... suggestions to improve their testing methods.

One of the more important machine tests they already have is "Swing Weight." Let's see, you return a dink serve with a clear to the back, he slams a cross-court shot to you left, you return a dink, he fires a drive all the way to your right-back corner, etc.. etc... By the time that point is over, you've slung that racket all over the court in every possible position. Knowing not just the weight of the racket but how much more strength it requires just to move that mass around is important. It's like choosing light weight shoes because you can move faster with less strength involved to move them, making you less tired by the end of the game.

I think another important statistic to know is head weight. Different from the balance point, the actual physical weight of the head by itself, strung. Balance point helps, but there are so many different size heads (height, width, frame construction, weight) and shaft lengths, that the same balance point on one racket doesn't really equal the balance point on another because of the different proportions. A 300 g. balance point is not the same on a 675 mm racket vs. a 662 mm racket. Is there a formula for calculating head weight?

I know it's easy to bash BRR, particularly when they used the silly "bucket" test for control (I still don't have a good suggestion for a mechanical "Control" test, do you?), but at least they try to level the field by stringing all rackets with BG 65 @ 25 pounds.

Another point of contention is the "Feels Like" area. Many times the tests will show a racket to have a flexible or stiff shaft, but the FL comment says exactly the opposite. And they aren't consistent with their own definitions. Many times the number scored for flexibility doesn't match what they said it should be. For instance, they have rackets on there that score between 1.01-1.08, which their definition says is med-flex, but then they list it as stiff. You guys do need to go back through all of your tests and get them consistent.

Anyway, I'll quit bashing and say thanks to them for at least trying, and I hope you get better, because right now you are the only game in town. Everything else is just someones opinion, and since every person is physically different , no one can possibly say what will feel right to another person. But if we have machines (may as well use robots and dress them up) performing repeatable tests, we can make better choices. So bash them if you must, but try to be helpful too if you can, because you will help all of us.

Your only other choice is for some rich Saudi Arabian badminton fanatic to wire me $2 million dollars and I'll quit my jobs, build the machines, and perform the best tests you've ever seen! I'll keep checking the mail.........................................................

#56 Scrench, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  17. pughon

pughon Regular Member

I have replied to your other post. This might be the machine you want.
    [​IMG]

18. lzc3025896

lzc3025896 New Member

I have some doubts about their smash test.
    The racket head speeds differ so much of each other.
    Cause shuttle speed decrease fast enough due to air resistance. What's the point in measure the shuttle speed when the shuttle is not in the same range that is away from the racket head.
    Say 260kph 25cm from the rackethead and 245kph but 29cm from the head.
    Which is faster?

19. visor

visor Regular Member

I believe radar guns always take the fastest reading to be consistent.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

20. lzc3025896

lzc3025896 New Member

I suggest they use a phone with slow motion with high fps instead.
    A phone with high fps slow motion is not hard to find.
    A HUAWEI MATE40 can shot 5960fps slow motion video.