Yonex Astrox 100ZZ

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Junye, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

I played with Astrox 100zz, it's more flexible than DSZ. Stiffer than Nanoflare 800. Head weight is slightly lighter than NF800 imo. All 3u. I hold at base of grip. Also, Astrox 100zz vibrates are noticeable compared to the other two which have extremely solid feel.

Edit: Bought my own real 3u 100zz and it's actually head heavier than DZS and less vibration than originally thought when testing my friends "3u 100zz".

#861 Vincent604, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  2. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    Thanks for your insight. TBH, I neither play with DZS nor NF800. However, it could be the thinnest shaft at all time which gives you more flexible feel and noticeable vibration. I own Duora10, BS12 and used to have zf2, zf1, js12. 100zz is the most suitable to my playstyle atm.

3. Vincent604

When comparing to 100zz and zf2 I'm sure you can feel the difference in vibrations right? 100z is a great racket, I'm just picky xD

4. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    try AX 88S

5. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

Looking for a racket 70-defence 30-attack
    Is the 100zz a good consideration?
    Or 100zx?

Previous rackets Li Ning n9ii , Li Ning calibar 900i

6. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

If defence is your main concern you probably are looking for a racket with a fast frame (Sword/Turbo Charging frame) and quick handling:

You might want to try the LN N7 II which is stiffer and slightly less headhavy than the N9 II making it great in terms of handling and defense.

Two of the fastest rackets around which I used are the Bravesword 12 and Jetspeed S10/10Q.
    Both are great at defending due to their speed (JS 10 has a compact head so might be difficult if you are not used to it).

The new Nanoflares are also quite fast and very solid when it comes to the defense but may lack in power when playing from the backcourt

Sunray7 likes this.
  7. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

Thanks for sharing the alternate choices
    Would you rate the 100zz as more for attack in doubles play?
    I mean , would it be 70-attack 30-defence?

8. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

When looking at doubles only, the 100 series (both zz/zx) is probably 90 : 10 (attack / defense)

Definitely nowhere near the 70 : 30 (defense : attack) you asked earlier.

Very headheavy and with a rather slow frame they will be great for power play but lacking in defense/flat exchanges compared to other rackets, it would probably be more useful for singles...

Sunray7 likes this.
  9. Vincent604

Have you actually used or tried a real version of this racket before? I tried it in person and it was rather head-even, cant even call it slightly head heavy.

10. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Yes, I am 88d 4u user.. I had a dry swing of 100zz 4u and felt very light.. it would be interesting to see how RGS work on it when u actually play with it. To me it’s a mixed feeling.. hold up the handle and swing, head is very light, hold slightly lower the handle there is a light head heavy.. would be interested to see or compare the head weight between n7ii, 100zz and 100zx. I would say as far as dry swing is concerned it’s comparable with lining n7ii IMHO.. definitely not nanoflare, definitely not 88d, perhaps modified version of 88s. I don’t know

On cards zz and zx looks same but the reviews says otherwise.. some compare zx with 88d..

In fact some of the YouTube videos says the head weight of zz is between 88d and 99 which is very perspective!! (Nonsense)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  11. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Tried the 3u 100zz too and it had a bp of ~315 iirc and agree somewhat that it does not feel as headheavy as you would expext it.
    The frame feels a bit more aerodynmic than the usual Box frame making it generally faster than you would expext it to be.

But having compared this racket side to side with two great doubles rackets, namely the N7 (not II) and the N9 II and also the N90 IV, it excels in power but is outmatched by all 3 rackets rackets in terms of speed and maneuverability/handling.

Similar story with my midified 4u N90 II (modified to 4u by sanding down the handle) but with the N90 II being very close in terms of smashing power, if not even with the 100zz.

12. KingCantona

KingCantona Regular Member

I just bought the 100ZZ 4U. I just broke my JS10Q, I am also having a NF800 and 88D all in 4U. After my session today (just doubles), I will say the racket does not feel head heavy as per the spec sheet. Same goes for the shaft too. As it is compact head design, it move very quick and defense is good. I felt it is better than 88D. I am still trying to get use to the swing and the feel of this shaft before I can unleash full power on smashes. On my first overhead clear, I can feel the shaft is just different but in a positive manner.

Among my rackets, I can generate the most power using the JS10Q. I feel the 100ZZ can achieve similar power but just have to adjust myself to the racket. Overall, I will recommend this racket to anyone who like compact head racket, want more power while still good at defense. In addition to that, I really like the colorway of this racket. Simply gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Junye likes this.
  13. slickkilla

slickkilla Regular Member

Anybody have any source on what weight (3u or 4u) hiroyuki endo uses for his 100zz? Thanks a bunch

14. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

Endo was previously using duora z strike 3u, hence likely Using 100zz 3u also.

15. Tino

Tino Regular Member

I also bought an 100zz back in June and I must say even though it feels light, your need good wrist power in order to be effective on this racket

Not recommend for those who are using mainly their arms to generate power

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

16. slickkilla

I use an Astrox 88s (3u) as my main racket solely on doubles. I was just wondering if anyone has both the 88s(3u) and 100zz(3u) for comparison in terms of head weight and swing weight. I find the 88s slightly too head heavy for my liking and was wondering if the 100zz would be more head light? Thank you

17. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I could try both the 88s and 100z but 4U. I felt the 88s was slighty too head light instead but found the 100zz just right so a little bit head heavier

18. slickkilla

I'll most prob get the 100zz 4u then. Seems like the zz is close to the 88d then?

19. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I felt it fits right in between the 88S and the 88D. It was faster than the 88D but not as fast as the 88S. If you can borrow one first, it will be better as we all have different feel of the racket

BalajiSethuraman likes this.
  20. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Interesting.. then I am lucky to have bought a 100zz just at the right weight I think!! Lowest 3u weight of 86grams but it’s sold as 4u.

[​IMG]

I have not stung it yet to test but the dry swing seems too light to me if I hold it at cone and perfect when I hold at the bottom of the handle.. if I add strings and group to it, I am sure the racket would weigh at least 95grams. It might change the characteristics of it!

I currently use 88d 4u and the racket just seems to tick all the boxes for my style and play!! My 88d raw weight was 84.5 grams and with strings 88 grams and with grip it is now 94 grams.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.