Heel Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Budi, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Recently i got a heel pain on my right foot every after i play badminton. After resting 1-2 days its feel better but when i play again, it comeback.

When im standing, i feel the pain on the heel. I didnt feel any pain when im moving my ankle but when i put preasure on my heel, i feel the pain.

I didnt remember if i were miss landing or slipped during playing & i havent change any of my equipment recently.

Havent seen my doctor yet, but maybe there is some suggestion/advice/experience sharing here about my heel pain.

2. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

You need quality insoles. Someone will provide a suggestion...

3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

There can be a lot of reasons. What seems to be pretty common is clacaneal spur. Seeing a doctor would be advisable, because he can suggest insoles or even get some made for you.

In addition to that, strengthen you calves, stretch them regularly and throughout. Also roll your (curved) foot on a massage ball or a tennis ball or (of you're quite pain resistant) a golf ball. Preferably alternate a few times between rolling the bottom of your feet and stretching your calves. Stretch 10 seconds slightly, then ten seconds more and then 10 seconds dynamically which goes even further. Whatever it is, these three things can help.

As always, don't stretch into real pain, don't roll on real pain, ...

I hope you recover quickly.

LenaicM and ucantseeme like this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If im thinking back recently, on my work i do alot more walking & standing activity than what i normaly do. But i never feel heel pain after workday (this after resting 2 days & the pain gone).
    Could it be due to some stress on my foot from my recent busy day at work & badminton trigger the pain as it put more stress on already stresses foot?

For note, i kinda have a habbit to have bare foot at home or in my office room. But i never had any problem before.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Don't examine what maybe caused it to make it harmless. Seeing a doctor is No.1 on your To-Do list. I second rolling the feet. I do it regular and it can take tension and hardening away. I use 3 different balls. a softer one with spikes, a really hard one with spikes and a medium one with knobs.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Playing on what type of floor? If concrete, that would explain it.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Wood floor.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps not suspended?

In any case, you can get insoles with better heel cushioning. Like Spenco Polysorb Cross Trainer.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I used to get heel pain as well but someone (I think it might have been Visor) who suggested I try some triple thick socks from RKEP which has helped a lot. I've not had a problem with my heel since using these socks.

visor likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can you attach a picture with a mark showing exactly where the pain is?

11. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Sounds like plantar fasciitis.. I have that too every time I finish my Badminton sessions, bought some insoles but when I fit them into my Badminton shoes I wouldn’t be able to fit my foot into the shoes as they will get too tight for me.. any suggestion for that?

12. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

You are probably aware of this, Did you remove the original insoles or loosen the laces? The new insoles are a replacement, not an add on.

13. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

That was foolish of me not to remove the original insoles... thanks ! Now I can use the new insoles now !

LenaicM and robfitsy like this.
  14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

What's your level of play? How old are your shoes and how many sessions per week? Body measurement (weight/height)? Right handed?

I got shin splints when I started badminton 2 years ago. Heavy footwork, high gravity center (I was straight like a pole when playing vs lowering my center of gravity for smooth and lightweight footwork now), overweight, mid entry level shoes and over training. Perfect combo to develop small injuries. It's gone now and a different injury than yours but I'm sure one of those parameters can affect your heel pain.

EDIT: I also had my kid being 1-year-old at the time and it involved a lot of carrying. My wife and I walk quite a lot and I carried my kid most of the time so that must have also influence my shin split issues. Don't underestimate the effect of the extra activity you mentioned at work (more walking and standing).

#14 LenaicM, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Not sure how to measure skill lv, maybe intermediate to advance. Never get in a tournament just club level. Well, few times joining my group company yearly competition & mostly positioned in the top 5.
    176cm, 84kg, right handed, & double play most of the time. Play twice a week.
    Yeah my shoes is kinda old one, almost 2 year & already showing sign of ripping apart. Already replace the insole a year ago. Adding insole gell & i got pain no more, tho it become higher on the heel & feel less stable.
    Still looking around for spare shoes, but i guest my habbit hit me again. Seeing & read review of many shoes, comparing each pros & cons, & many other technical stuff.:p

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Well that might not be your footwork considering you are an experienced player and mostly play doubles which is less demanding on the feet as for example coming from the back court to forecourt in singles multiple times per rally sometimes.

The insole replacement cannot fully replace the cushioning performance of a brand new pair of quality shoes. I'd first change the shoes if ever the pain re-appears. Also you're by no mean "big" but for badminton and the impact the heels take you would be considered having a few extra kgs I guess. I was 1.83 for 84kgs (77 now) and my doctor did say I was too big for badminton if I wanted to be more competitive and push my body further while avoiding injuries.

Budi likes this.
  17. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Pls reduce the stress and visit a doctor first ! The following are just my personal experiences.

I got heel pain now too (two weeks), getting more intense after each badminton session. I think, that is was a result of higher training intensity (more shadow footwork, more focus on lifting the heel from the floor). From my past experiences, whenever I increased the intensity, something else started to hurt. My previous area of pain was the achiles tendon, which got more intense after each training session too, now I guess the plantar fascia.

Take a look at this pic:
    [​IMG]

The heel is connected to two tissues, the achiles tendon and the plantar fascia. Badminton with a lot of powerful movement and hopping/jumping will put a lot of stress to these two, because they are both strained together when you lift the heel. Once you start doing some researches, you will read that a lot of badminton player have issues with either their achiles tendon or heel, or both.

Damage to the tissues is often a result of too much stress (no sudden pain, but the pain get stronger from time to time). To reduce the stress to my achiles tendon I already bought some new insoles, started much more streching of my calves. It got a lot better over a course of roughly 1-2 months. Now I will try to reduce the stress to my plantar fascia first, that is, reduce shadow footwork, use a golf ball to self massage the plantar fascia (see youtube for tutorial videos) and doing some more sugguested stretching.

From my other issues I got with other sports over the years, which are golfer elbow(right arm), tennis arm (left arm), right shoulder , I have made the following experiences:
    1. Just continue as always does not work at all (was not willing to reduce training intensity:confused:, which is really dumb:().
    2. Just resting does not work either :eek:.
    3. Reducing stress, but continue to use it carefully, worked (o_O).

My personal explanation is:
    When you stress a tissue too much, it gets damaged and starts to hurt. The pain is a signal of your body to let it rest for some time, but pain is just an other stimulus the body get used to too. So I believe, that after the tissue has healed, a low stimulus is still enough to trigger some pain. So, by slowly starting the movement again, increasing the stress level step by step , your body will get used to the stimulus again and the pain will vanish, still it needs some time to heal first.

I got this opinion after my last shoulder injury (weighttraining). After I injured it, I was not able to stress it at all. So I waited and probed it from time to time without any success, the pain did not go away. After several month and with a lot of frustration I started to train the shoulder with much less weight and voila, the pain was completely gone after two weeks and I was able to train with the weight I used before the injury. I believe, that at that time, the shoulder was already healed, but still very sensitive to stress, resulting in pain under stress.

#17 Ballschubser, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    LenaicM likes this.
  18. kingsizexx

kingsizexx New Member

meditation always helped me relieve any kind of pains, just like my wife aswell. She took this thing from me, seeing me being angry and mad, then going to meditate for 15minutes and after this coming back freshly new with good mood, happy state and a huuuge smile, huging her lol. Anyway, before meditation, it was even more deeply than just psychological state, so I had to purchase kratom capsules to calm my mind and body, and just then turn to meditation and other books. I also love to read soul books, after finishing one - most of the problems are leaving by themselves.

#18 kingsizexx, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  19. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I stumbled on this post and want to ask if you guys are suffering from pain at the back of my heel. After some Googling, I am not sure if it is bursitis or calcaneal spur.

I wonder if it is common among badminton players and what do you guys do.

20. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Is the pain above the calcaneus (close to achilles tendon) or below the calcaneus (close to plantar fascia) ? As far as I know, there are only bursas at above the plantar fascia). Best to go to a doctor who has other ways to check instead of googling (google can't use x-ray or ultrasonic).

I think that the overloading of the achilles tendon and/or plantar fascia is quite common in badminton due to the heavy workload you put on these tendons. I think, that it depends a lot on your actual workload related to how good you are used to these kind of load.

I got pain in my achilles tendon and plantar fascia after I restarted playing badminton after an almost 30 year break, and I suffer for more than a year. Best to reduce the load, maybe take a break. The pain got reduced after a few month, but I only got really rid of it after the first corona lockdown in my country (roughly 6-8 weeks). Currently I'm free of pain.