MD final conspiracy theories...

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by the_way, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I find it weird that none of the conspiracy theorists reply to this post.

You can find it strange that a 13th-seeded American pair can win a world title in their hometown, but not strange that a huge part of the badminton community can act out such a drama convincingly. In terms of acting, this has to be the best movie ever made. Even in terms of badminton, this has to be the best event ever. When have you ever seen so many mistakes done on purpose where the shuttle just hit the top of the tape, just millimetres out the court, and all that during long rallies at breakneck speed. Plus, Howard Bach is a very convincing actor of a good badminton player.

2. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Read MikeJ's post. Tony and Howard dont need to "proof" anything to anyone except proof to themselves they can win again if they indeed stay together for USA. By the way, Is there anything left for TONY to proof today? Actually, is there anything left for TONY to proof before the 05 WC? I think not.

Tony has put himself in an extremely difficult position to carry Howard and show Howard whats like to play top level badminton and win. He must have put in incredible amount of hard work teaming up with Howard day after day and spent god knows how many hours working with him to play at the highest level. But to have everything almost taken away with a few posts merely trying to cast a shadow of doubt is outrageous. In fact, there is absolutely NO "proof" that I have seen so far that if anyone were to take it to a News Media it would be laughed at and probably thrown out immediately. So if you want me to cool down, first ask yourself was there any justice for any of the top players ( NON-US) being accused of fixing the game so US badminton can grow.

3. cocotte

cocotte Regular Member

prof., retired
    I truly believe that the alleged conspiracy theory is just that: a fantasy. You should know that in INA there is a distinction between people of pure malay ethnicity (pribumis) and those that have some degree of chinese blood(chinese-indonesians, aka "peranakans". Sigit is a pribumi, while Tony and Chandra are peranakans (as is Hidayat). After Suharto imposed a name change for all ethnic chinese in 19XX, peranakans born after that year carry an indonesian(sounding) name on their birth certificate. Although the situation has greatly improved since 1998, there is still a lingering uneasiness between the two groups. In short: there is very little possibility that Sigit, a pribumi, will collaborate in a conspiracy. This said, it could well be that Chandra made a PERSONAL decision to give his friend and former partner Gunawan a better chance to win the gold medal by not playing at 100% ability. This is something that only he knows, and no one else. Even then, to win, Gunawan's partner, an American, must play exceptionally well. FWIW, Cocotte

4. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

i just find the accusations of fixing a world champ for USA, hilarious.. not to take anything away from the thread-starter who is entitled to his own 'opinion', i, however, feel it's darn wrong and unjustifiable to take credit away from tony/howard.. a few notes:

1. you mentioned bout howard's higher thn usual serves and wonder why the opposition didn't go for kill, if you had watched those matches, how many times wr the opposition caught off-guarded with his sudden, high serve?? even the commentator (gillian clark??) complimented howard for his 'instinct' and 'effective' serves, whch hd, generated more points thn tony's.

2. candra/sigit targetting tony?? i have said it and i will say it again, tony is everywhere. his coverage on the net ws amazing. i think candra/sigit did try to push tony to the back..

3. why the upset? it's all bout motivation and desire to win.. when a team is, say 20% behind in skill but has twice more desire to win, it is very possible to emerge victorious, no? tony has a lot to prove, not only to his adopted country but most importantly, to his country of origin.. if you have been following the badminton scene as long as you claimed, i bet you know the bitter incident that led tony to where he is now..

my 2 cts worth, peace....

5. greentribe

greentribe Regular Member

I was hoping for Sigit/Candra to win the world title but too bad not on their side. The US deserves it also. Both team were really fighting seriously and that was a good sign that badminton is not just a backyard game. Both of the Indonesia and the US supporters were really cheering them up but I found it annoying that the supporters were so loud that there are times that they need to keep it quiet especially during the giving and receiving serves so that both teams can focus. So far, this year world championship was the best and all the players performance were so amazing and extraordinary.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Obviously some of you guys have never been to a playoff hockey game:D. North American crowds can match Indone crowds in intensity. Heck! We even get the occasional riots after playoff final games:p.

7. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

pribumi basically means indigenious Indonesians or the native people (not necessarily malay, there are javanese, sundanese, madurese, batak and hundreds more). taufik is not peranakan, i think he is sundanese. the unwritten law of impossing all ethnic chinese to use indonesian sounding names ws after the failed communists coup in 1965. there were, however, many ethnic chinese who refused to do so. remember liem swie king?

i fail to see any connection btw race and agreement to collaborate in this 'conspiracy'. i dont think being a peranakan makes candra less an indonesian thn sigit. no offense, your suggestion of the possiblities of candra not playing his best to help tony is, imho, unacceptable... in the 1st set (whr tony/howard won), sigit and not candra was targetted...

#87 sunzhi, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  8. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

Thanks greentribe you said it for me. I as an audience was very upset with the loud noise during the rallying.

9. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

talking about the supporter were so lound...:cool: ..well..if u ever watching indo open...that is even worst...ppl went nuts...at lease ppl quiet down most of the time during the rally..except whenever tony or howard smash the birddies....i do believe indo pair are much used 2 with lounder condition.....i am the one was there supporting tony or howard ///////////////whoooo whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

10. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    the conspiracy will remain to be a theory...it can never be a fact...

11. Pre-emptive

w3wmfhe, I know indo open was pretty bad. That's why some top players don't go there. And yes, you are of one those ppl who spoiled the final game. :mad:

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    OY DUDE

stop putting me in the light that im trying to take anything away from tony and howard.

yes tony has nothing left to prove.

but tony/howard pair still have stuff to prove as the world champ pairing. they can do that by strutting their stuff some more just like JR/Paaske did even after winning the 2003 WC MD title.

coz tony and tony/howard is not the same thing

and what's your point about the bolded part bellow. i never questioned any of that. besides... tony is just as gratefull for howard as howard is gratefull of tony. he said that in his winning speach himself.

sunny side malaysia cheers

8man

#92 jug8man, Aug 23, 2005
  13. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    Congratulation to Team USA!!!for winning the first gold medal in men double.

As far as conspiracy theory, well let's not discuss it any further, I don't think we will get the bottom of it,( it's like who kill JFK).
    hope that thomas cup will he held here in the USA, in near future.

14. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

I congratulate the Americans Tony and Bach for being 2005 World Men's Double Champions.

They simply played better, not by pure luck alone but with substance and skills.

As for Sigit and Candra, don't give up. They were as good too.

My one and only correct prediction of MS is Taufik vs LD and Taufik will win. He is an all rounder player which there is no weaknesses I can detect. While LD has a weakness in the backhand and netting which everyone knew when Susilo exposed him in the last Olympic games.

LD was under physcology stress, I can read from LD's facial expression, his real threat is the current best skillful player-----> Taufik.

15. j.anthony.smith

j.anthony.smith Regular Member

Thank you IBF, Tony and Howard and all involved in the The 2005 WC Conspiracy (tm)

BWAH HAH HAH
    Perhaps this post belongs on www.GOLFcentral.com/forums or perhaps www.LIBRARYcentral.com.

Conspiracy theories are great. They are fun for everyone and unburdened by inconvenient proof. Sorry to spoil your fun, here is your proof. I sent the following to the IBF.

Deeer Intarnatioanl Baddmittton Foundation (er, forum? federatshun, foobar?),

I is writing cuz I heeeare (sp?) badmitttttton is Funn!!! Heeerre is myh check ferrr $7.02 (not surz what that izz in Ruuuuppeeeeeaaaahhhs, surry). Pleez uze it for ur statted purpuz of bribbingg all those Indos, Danes, Chineez & other furners so we canz duminate that spurt (evenz thoe thiz ain'ts a meet in witch u musts repreezent ur cunntry). they have benn 0wninggz far soo longz. Shirlee, itz our turnz?

P.Ss. My brudder wantz his payz fur clubbing those varmint Englanders. Alsos dad sez pleez giv him hizz reseet (taxx reductible, tee hee) fur the $52 he sentz fur Cheng to gett to the final. He'z reeel pissed thut u allowez XXFFX to win deespiitee ur promizes. Aslo pleez tel Lin Din he faket it reel badd. Make it mur reel!

Sinkeceryyly,

Bad_fan!

Edit: P.S. Thank you very much Tony & Howard. I grew up in (and love) Indonesia. I've played and watched Badminton since 1979. I never imagined I would have the opportunity to watch a Badminton MIRACLE ON ICE. Hope this is the start of popularizing the sport here in the US. I personally am going to start a badminton club for kids in Santa Fe.

#95 j.anthony.smith, Aug 23, 2005
  16. Pre-emptive

Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah, perhaps this post belongs to:
    www.basketballforum.com/cheerleading or
    www.hockeymatch.com/riot/fighting/strategy

Badminton is a sport that requires great concentration, reflex and accuracy. Well, at least for better players.
    Btw, were you watching from TV?

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Dude, you realized you were going to a sporting event, not the ballet, right?;)

18. j.anthony.smith

j.anthony.smith Regular Member

It's much easier to concentrate in a quite room, isn't it? Harder when you are in a loud, drafty, disney-land-ain't-far-away stadium. The power of concentration is a strong one indeed.

Watched via starsports on sopcast, I'm afraid. I wish I had blown my savings and bought a ticket on Sunday morning to go see the finals. :)

#98 j.anthony.smith, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

HA H HA HA HA... that was well done. At last someone with a sense of humour in tackling this post. Badmitttton, indeed!!;)

20. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

it is america.:p ....well...just like post said...badminton is not ballet...like any other sports in the us:D .....football...ppl making louder noise that away team won't be able to hear the call while they on offence...especially indoor....and basketball...u can see almost the whole stadium cheering for " deffence " ...so what is wrong cheering for the USA in badminton...i don't think final is the loudest day...i believe it is the quarter final ...when tony and howard had the match piont...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.