Tension deadzone?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Tec07, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

was talking to a friend last week who is also a long time coach/stringer and he mentioned something i hadnt heard before that i thought was an interesting comment, he says he feels there is a deadzone is string tension where you just dont get much from the string and either side of it he says you get much better performance.. this he says is around the 24/25/26 lbs area which i thought was odd as that is the range a whole lot of players use including myself! Now im saying i agree but i just wondered if any other players had ever heard this theory or come to the same conclusion?

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Never heard of it and doesn't make any logical sense. What effect would cause this "dead zone" in the first place? And what does "you just don't get much from the string" even mean?

3. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Dont have any answers for you im afraid, like i say it was just his theory i didnt go into details but wondered if anybody else had similar ideas..
    Personally i use 25lbs and have been very happy for a long time at that, ive heard people say things like "oh 80 power doesnt come alive until 27+ lbs" etc but never really thought much of it

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have this theory that jobs done on a monday after a full moon provide better feel than others. I can't tell you why I come up with this, but I was wondering what others think about it.

...you see the problem?

and you don't have to. Finding the optimal string tension is a completely personal matter that all players have to go through themselves. And yes, for some it might be the case that they feel like a string "comes alive" at a certain tension - for others it will be the other way round. It all depends on the swing speed and style and there is no general rule.

5. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

I dont no, mainly because i didnt come up with it. Its simply a view point of another person that i wondered if was shared by anybody else.
    As it happens though i fully agree with you about it and that of string tension being personal and unique to each player as to how the feel the string and its performance.

#5 Tec07, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think he might be talking from his own personal experience, where a certain range of tensions just doesn't suit his own game/hitting.

michael5098, Tennyson and Tec07 like this.
  7. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

For me this exists, and it is generally between the ranges of <24lbs, 26-28 lbs and 34lbs+.

In my experience, this is where the extreme oddities occur, such as the performance variations between a proven string and an unknown generic being nullified. In my own past experiences, this is where Li-Ning #1 string, BG Aerosonic, BG80 and BG80 Power playing as bad as an obscure $1.50 powerTi plastic like string on the same racket and same stringer.

The simple explanation is that as with all things, there is an optimal point in relation to time durations which involve stringbed hold time and peak impulse generated from the stretched strings returning to their neutral resting point.

Note: Certain strings are exempt from this general tendency, like NBG95 being good at 26 x 28.5 all the way to 33+, and AeroBiteBoost being good at 30lbs even.

8. The_Man

The_Man New Member

Just wondering tho if you guys experience this.

I use BG66 at 26 lbs (still my favourite feeling of all the current strings) but what I tend to find is the string feels really crisp for drops and clears for the first 2 sessions or so but I can't extract much power from the smashes. After that it almost frees up and the power becomes much more accessible.

Is it just me that feels this cos what I've seen a lot on the forums is the strings feel the most powerful when absolutely fresh for most people.

9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The tension might be too high for you at the beginning then

s_mair likes this.
  10. The_Man

The_Man New Member

I see. Guess I'll live with it until I train some stronger arms into myself then.

11. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

BG66UM / 66F has little to no power for smashes for me too; BG80P, 65Ti, NBG95 and of late ABBT work well for me for smashes but only when their around the 29-33 lbs mark. My favorite smashing string is actually Li Ning No5. BG80, Aerosonic and the rest feel very meh, I tend to find 66 most lacking in most areas and for lacking repulsion in particular. Generally speaking 66 is a very soft string with little repulsion a very rapid rate of tension loss. Bite is very average when compared to a hybrid setup like ABBT, or a rough braid oval like BG80/80P.

It also takes a handful of good hitting sessions before the stringbed settles in, which involves a process of the racquet head frame distorting out of shape when fresh, asymmetrically, then equalizing with repeated use (sitting dry and time based waiting does not have any effect on settling). It is not unusual for you to find freshly strung racquets no good. Some strings also have a weird optimal performance to lifespan curve.

The_Man likes this.