CSI BC: Tai Tzu Ying - A real TK-FC or a TK7000SN repaint?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by s_mair, Oct 19, 2020.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I've been wondering about this ever since Victor released the TK-FC. Has TTY really moved from her long-term favourite TK7000S/7000SN to the Thruster Falcon Claw (after obviously using a repaint instead of the the real TK-F for a while) or is she still using a 7000SN in disguise colors.

The problem is, that it's a lot more complicated to nail that one down based on TV pictures since the TK-FC and the TK7000SN share the grommet pattern and the slightly narrow head shape. Still, I think that there are so many nerds around here in BC, that it should still be possible to solve this cold case together.

Let me start with some screenshots, taken from the AE 2020 semifinal agains Carolina Marin:
    upload_2020-10-19_14-8-15.png

and there, let's have a closer look at the bottom third of the head:
    upload_2020-10-19_14-11-46.png

This appears to be a full-on box frame profile with an almost 90° angle towards the inside surface. And this would match exactly the shape of a TK7000SN - I own one myself and I can add pictures later on if needed.

The problem is that I do not have access to a real TK-FC to verify the other side of the coin. Looking at the available marketing pictures, it appears as if it has a slightly rounded and less boxy shape:

upload_2020-10-19_14-16-20.png

Is there anyone around who can verify this on a real TK-FC and maybe take some detailed pictures of the area in question?

And apart from that, are there any other ideas around how it would be possible to distiguish the two rackets?

lurker likes this.
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

The real question is:

Does it matter or is this a fanboy looking for an excuse to (not?) spend money on a racket he doesn't need, but wants to have?

I can't help, but judging from the marketing picture, you might have the solution in this area, so CSI BC, let's go! Help out this nerd! ;)

p.s.: Can anybody create a CSI BC account with some fun photoshopped picture? That would be awesome!

s_mair likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I so knew that this one will be coming...

And just for the record - I won't buy a TK-FC, no matter what the outcome of this little adventure might be. I'm bored and want to tickle the brains of the the usual BC gear nerds out there... :D

4. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

You may have the answer. But it could be that the harsh lighting makes any slope in the inside part of the frame invisible on the match picture. The product picture is always weirdly lit, and not very comparable. Is there any picture in a similar angle?

But man that design sure is fitting for a Queen :cool:

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I've looked through google picture search, but wasn't able to find any comparable pictures. All those promo pics have a very diffuse lighting that make it very hard to tell the actual geometry - especially with that almost pure white design. I found the harshly lit match picture surprisingly good since you can clearly see the narrow line of reflection right at the edge.

Here's another one that again apparently shows a more round'ish profile and the boxy side being more slim:
    [​IMG]

But still, very hard to clearly tell imo. The racket in the match picture at least seems to have a fairly massive boxy design down there.

6. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

From TTY's Instagram. Looking quite boxy at the bottom... but wait, depending on the lighting it looks more roundish again...? Look at the left most racket in the second post.

On top of that, I really don't trust the marketing pictures. Weird lighting, some with U grommets, some without, ...

My guess is she's playing with a repaint, but for me, there's no way to tell.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As much as I hate to say it, I feel like the evidence so far is not enough for a conviction. Looking at the instagram pics only, I'd even tend to say that it looks more roundish.

Is there truely nobody around who can at least provide some evidence pictures of a real TK-FC in that area?

In parallel, I'll scan through some more video footage, maybe we get a lucky shot at a better angle.

8. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

How similar are the molds? I don't have either on hand, but couldn't it be that they used the same mold as the 7000S with minor changes here and there?

9. pughon

pughon Regular Member

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nice find!

Soooo... let's compare the two T-joints:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd say it's rather obvious that those are not the same rackets and hence indicating that TTY still uses a TK7000SN. Which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Would we get through with this in an actual court of law? Depends on the judge I would say.

11. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

all I can say from this pic of Tai's racket - it is quite sloppy stringing :) but it seems good old 7000, having in mind how much one or the other racket has influence to win/loose (especially in WS), I can really undestand why she is not bothering adjusting to another racket

s_mair likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

„Sloppy“ is the understatement of the year. Regarding technique, her dad is far from being a good stringer:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...p?posts/2792747/&share_type=t&link_source=app

A living proof that even the worst string jobs can’t stop extraordinary talent.

sp00k and thyrif like this.
  13. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

That is so lol :) made my evening