DANISA Denmark Open I 2020 (World Tour Super 750)

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by samkool, Oct 9, 2020.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Good to see some badminton live again. :)

I wonder how do the athletes are approaching such an event when the future is still uncertain and I also wonder how their performances here will impact their confidence (ie winning such an event knowing half of the field and most top players are absent).

We know some players couldn't even participate although they would have liked to. I can't help but watch the tournament half-hearted. Yet, we have to restart somehwere. :)

So far, I think the (very) good surprise comes from Lakshya Sen who was impressive in his play but it was only one match against an opponent with whom he has a good head to head victory ratio. I would like to see more of him during the next rounds to confirm this first impression.

Sumanth99, samkool and Baddie lover like this.
  2. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yeah, this is weird!

WHO HAS THE LIVE STREAMING FOR SESSION 2!?!?!

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Does anyone have a livestream?

4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Going to be exciting against HKV. Last time he lost to hkv in three games if I'm not wrong . Hoping for the best :)

Sumanth99 likes this.
  5. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

Apologies if already answered but where can I watch this tournament in UK, if anywhere? Are BWF blocking it? Can't find anything on Youtube except two brief clips of one singles and one mens doubles.

Simeon likes this.
  6. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Oops! Thanks! :D

BT Sport.

7. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Thanks...but I don't have that!

8. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Has nothing to do with daring. Lots of players simply weren't allowed by their fedaration/companies/employers to go. They didn't have a choice in the matter. This is subsequently a double advantage for those who were allowed to go, as they can now much easier rack up price money and points in a completely devalued 750 tournament.
    I don't think unfreezing the ranking should occur until all players from all federations are allowed to participate.

Justin L, trizzforce and samkool like this.
  9. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

Me neither. Wonder if you can get a weeks subscription.

10. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I did hear you can see some via bet365 but I haven't tried it.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    pretty easy answer: the athletes who were under orders by their 'team' to not play get screwed... or the athletes who did play get screwed if bwf wants to maintain the freeze until everybody has an equal opportunity to play.

bwf prevents itself from making a sound, fair and democratic decision due to its current system. it will never be fair for the athlete until the athlete has full control of their own career decisions. bwf's no-win situation is of their own making.

as you can see bwf is more than a facilitator. if it is your duty to make the rules and enforce them you are a governing body. you own all of the successes and failures of the sport.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    for up and coming players it's an opportunity. for the seasoned top players it's maintenance.
    i like watching future stars. it gives me an idea of where the sport is headed in terms of skills and techniques.
    i agree. i feel he has the most to gain/learn from this tournament.

LenaicM and Simeon like this.
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I disagree here. That would just encourage federations/corporations to continue boycotting tournaments in the knowledge that it will not be detrimental to their players, point-wise. I tend to lean towards @Sumanth99's take, particularly because I believe that the 'non-participating' players will start exerting pressure on their team/federations once it becomes clear that they have too much to lose by opting-out ('being opted-out').

Japan Head Coach PJB, incidentally, is under the impression that points will be added, ... but does not know WHEN. This may well be the main point of contention.

14. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Then, they (top players) will skip all tounaments until Olympic Game

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    exactly. it would let the big gov't backed teams hold the sport hostage —again. i'm not saying it would happen, but the current rules create the opportunity for it to happen.

there's no right win-win date to restart points to satisfy everybody because not all player/team situations are the same. bwf needs to simply pick a date and live with it.
    i wish the players could exert pressure on their federations, but they really can't because the federation can always kick them off the team for being a headache... and it wouldn't nec'ly be a coaches decision, if you know what i mean.

'don't forget who is paying your salary...'

#75 samkool, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    kurako and LenaicM like this.
  16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Ha ha ha..., a very long time :D Finally we can see that stuff as the impact of COVID-19.

ROUND OF 16 (09.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...15A629-1E6E-4CF5-BB3B-8BA4A14B0C87&d=20201015

Well, a badminton overdose today, no less of 13 matches will be broadcasted LIVE which dominated by singles categories.

Men's singles second round will pay attention for some interesting encounters, up-and-coming Lakshya Sen facing Danish vast experienced shuttler Vitinghus who beat Indian teen early this year in MAS Masters, an impressive victory over Popov couple of days ago might boost his confidence to march on in quarterfinal stage. A tricky test for third-ranked home player Rasmus Gemke who meets Netherlands Mark Caljouw, meanwhile Kenta Nishimoto will be challenged by Frenchman Brice Leverdez. The frontrunners, Antonsen and Chou TC are expected to through into last eight after made good start yesterday.

Second seed Okuhara and Canadian ace Michelle Li look rusty and far from their usual fine form how they beat their opening obstacles, pretty understandable that they seek adaptation to regain competition atmosphere post unprecedented long break. Marin-Christophersen could be today's highlight, how the young Dane can absorb valuable experience to meet heavyweight rival.

LIVE TV COVERAGE

upload_2020-10-15_8-21-32.png

17. Baddie lover

How many matches will be telecasted live ? All 13 matches ?

18. Baddie lover

JOJ will retire after this tournament.

19. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Astrup's netplay is so bad today.

20. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^ Someone just says Jonathan Chistie instead of Jordan Hart ^-^, he must miss him so much