Judging Opponent's Serve (doubles: in or out?)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I am recently breaking my habit of staying in my receiving position (little back from the T-line) and passively receiving serve. To gain advantage of taking the shuttle at net level or higher, I move forward explosively (using footwork learnt from Coach Lee Jae Bok's video).

However, all my partners often say that you are returning serves which weren't even going to fall into the service box in the first place.

How can I easily judge whether the shuttle is in or not when I am moving forwards towards it and its trajectory seems to be flat (+ i can't see the service line either)?

Any help would be appreciated

phihag likes this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Your partner should be doing the judging!

In general, the receiver's partner should be the one to call in or out. If they don't call anything you take the shuttle.

If you are playing with a beginner, they may not be used to that. One thing you can do is talk about the terms In and Out in your language before the game. Arrange two clear words. This makes it obvious that communication in doubles is key. When you're taking a shot going and they didn't say anything, then they don't have to blame anybody but themselves.

Your focus must be on taking the shuttle. Trying to look down to the lines or whatever will negatively impact your shot quality.

Simeon and intrepid like this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You can judge them yourself. It's good to be able to, as a partner shouting can make it harder to concentrate , especially if they shout "in" when you are about to go for it. Though if they shout "short" it can help to know to leave it.

Don't move before they hit it! Don't set yourself too much to just leap straight forward or straight in one and only ever one particular direction, cos they might flick it or might hit it a bit wider or wide. Don't leap in without thinking. It is possible to make the judgement and then go in. If it is really slow then it will fall short . If it's fast then it will be in. If it's that speed of a good one that lands just in, then know that speed too.

If a person can serve well then people will sometimes think it is going short and it's in but eg on the line or just a bit last it. But that's very different to a serve that is like half way between the net and the service line is a serve where they really mess up.

Re trajectory of upwards or flat. A good low serve shouldn't rise high over the net. Of it did you could kill it anyway.

And re LJB footwork you should include a link to the video.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Cutting a serve right after the shuttle pass the net mostly (i think) not mean to be read in or out. You do that to give less time for opponent to react & hope their late response resulting a kill or at least bad return.
    Other thing is that its hard to read if its an in/out with very short tight moment after the shuttle pass the net. You dont have enough time to observe the speed & trajectory. Doesnt mean its imposible but harder to read.

Other tips, especially if you also play with random unknown player. Learn to read people & not just the shuttle. Most of the time when you can give quite good preasure on quick serve cut many times, the opponent tend to get nervous & feel intimidated. At some point when they will try to flick serve, so you can be ready for it & kill it. It work well on less experience player even tho they are skilled.