A tidbit on hybrid stringing...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 26, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Two posts above yours I gave a very good guide to decide why doing hybrids and what's the reason behind them and what not. So what are you promising from your combo compared to uniform use? IMO a simple neutral question.

More Durability on Aerosonic with BG66UM as main is not a smart idea. Control could work a bit, but IMO there are better options to achieve both. What's the reason behind Aerosonic on the cross? Slightly more repulsion on BG66UM? IMO both strings are to close to complement well to something with synergy of both worlds.

swsh likes this.
  2. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Very well explained. The hybridization should be looked at as creating synergy. I think to oversimplify for new guys even, it's in many ways matching two extreme ends of the spectrum to create balance. Hardest or the most rubbery (80 / 80p) with the most repulsive (Aerosonic).

The proposed suggestion for merely matching two strings belonging to the same end of the spectrum yields benefits not noticeable outside the psychological. Because other variables like timing, power or heck, even how you feel on the day play more a factor in your play than the string itself, only severely noticeable variations and hybrids should ever be seriously considered i.e ones consisting of two strings belonging to two extreme ends of each spectrum.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Exactly. What most people think is that they can combine everything with everything regardless if main or cross like ordering a cone at an ice-cream parlour. You can't mix Whiskey and Vodka and have a delicious cocktail.

For new guys, I recommend to buy the AB out of the box Yonex solution. If they wanna experiment, but are worried to waste money, they should try approved hybrid first. IMO BG80P and NBG99 work very well as main due tension curve when you wanna give AS, No.1 or BG66UM a try. BG80 is also possible, but the cross string need some compensation with prestretch or added tension to match the tension loss curve. I would exclude BG80 in the hybrid cosmic, because there is nearly none thin string which is close in terms of holding tension and would use GT5 uniform instead if you wanna have hard feel with more repulsion.

swsh likes this.
  4. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

5. FM1994

FM1994 Regular Member

I'm probably late to the party, but great initial post. Helped a lot and gave me a better understanding to hybrid stringing.

I'm considering stringing Zymax 66FP as a cross at 28lbs and BG80 as main at 26lbs.

What would you all make of this? Or do I have this combo the wrong way around?

I'm an attacking player, so this (at least in MY head) makes sense to me and seems like a good hybrid setup...or is it... o_O

6. Rych05

Rych05 Regular Member

I have tried aerobite and really loved the feel of it now I'm planning to do my own hybrid, but not sure what strings would be good to combine. Btw also tried aerobite boost but the feels is too dull for me

Has anyone tried
    Bg80p/bg66um
    Bg80p/zm62f

#266 Rych05, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Tried BG80p/zm62F. I don't like it. Easily lose the tension. Prefer to use BG80/zm62F or BG80/G-Tone5

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Rych05

Rych05 Regular Member

Tried
    Nbg99/aerosonic @30/32 feels pretty solid close to aerobite feel, just can't say about thequality yet

9. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

80p should be the more repulsive and durable version of 80 but i didn't find it as such.

66um felt nice for less than 10 sessions for me after that it lost tension.

Edit:
    Sorry, didn't understand your post earlier

10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I loved the Aerobite but can't keep using it because it's expensive and snaps every 2-3 weeks.

Does durability follow the thinner string on hybrid strings? Like if I combine BG65 with Aerosonic, does it follow the Aerosonic durability or it becomes something in between? Why?

11. Derpington

I just recently tried Aerobite from my usual BG80. BG80 snaps in a week thus I tried something else and my stringer told me Aerobite is even less durable since the Aerosonic will give away first.

Mine still intact though only a day using it. So I can't say much.

12. llrr

llrr Regular Member

For me the durability of ab has always followed the red thicker string. The aerosonic cuts the aerobite. You can try abbt which I found has slightly better durability. Don't you use like 34lbs though? At this tension you shouldn't be looking at durability because it's the feeling you're going for.

13. Tabatchu

Tabatchu Regular Member

I tried bg80/aerosonic at 27*29 lbs. I string on a klippermate 2 point machine with flying clamps with no prestretch. So I'm guessing 27*29 probably ends up at 26*28ish. I'm impressed with this hybrid combo. It's the best of both worlds. It's hard enough with so much better control than just aerosonic. At these tensions (26-28) I like the hybrid combination better than just aerosonic which feels too slippery and soft.

14. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

if my ideal tension for BG80 is 28lbs, what would you recommend I set the tension to with a hybrid with BG 80 main and a softer and thinner cross (I'm planning to try VBS 66N, VBS 63). I'm assuming I would need to add +2lbs to the cross

15. Derpington

That's my usual setup too and i tried 26-28 on Aerobite, it feels too low for me.

Next I'll do 27 28. I think +1lbs is the common practice nowadays, correct me if I'm wrong.

16. experimentalstringer

I tried BG80P/66UM at 24-26lbs, had a game same day the strings were done.
    Feels a little dull. Lacking in repulsion, but I could do drops just fine. Smashes didn't feel or sound great.
    Might be that I haven't gotten fully used to this strings. Or could be that the strings hadn't "set in"
    (My last hybrid was Yonex's AB at 25lbs, Been using BG80P at 24lbs recently.)
    Will give it a few more games and update again.

EDIT: don't like the combo :/

#276 experimentalstringer, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  17. coldplay

coldplay Regular Member

Lead Farmer
    Tried this combo today with 29/31 lbs with 10% ps. I concur with your assessment.

18. Signature

Signature Regular Member

What happened to the GT5/No1 hybrid? Is anyone using/recommending it still?

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I have gt5/nbg98, bg80/ln1. I think I prefer gt5 as mains, so gt5/ln1 next. Can't go back from hybrid now, feels too God and works too well! Also going to try AS crosses at some point.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    First go on GT5/AS tonight. Lowered to 28lb. The repulsion is unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

visor likes this.