Light + stiff racket = injury?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by niemrieng, Dec 14, 2008.

1. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Got it. Thanks OSFcross & taneepak. Just needed to clarify. Yeah, 90deg bad, 175deg good :).

2. MMJJ18

MMJJ18 New Member

Hello guys,

can you help me as well. I read do many forums and threads and don't got the correct advice.

What kind of racket causes more arm problems, a stiff racket or a flexible racket?

Which kind of racket do you would recommend for people who are tending for (upper) arm pain, stiff or flexible racket / head heavy for power or head light or doesn't it matter at all and the pain comes only from a wrong beginner technique?

Many thanks in advance.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

stiff racket definitely much straining than flex racket, which mean stiff racket would risk you more pain. Can be from the shock or your struggle to hit hard as stiff racket didnt give you much power boost.

Other hand weight or balance i think is more personal. Some people like me who had excesive muscle are strong enough to handle 3U head heavy racket but im not quite fast/agile, so heavy stuff feel light enough to me yet using lighter racket struggle me as im forcing myself swing faster & faster to compensate the swing weight loss. Other hand, my friend not quite as strong as me yet he is quite fast with his hand. He love lighter racket & doing good with it. But when he taste my hammer racket, he struggle alot as he force his weaker muscle to handle the heavy weight. So, you need to find the balance that suit your physical form. Not to heavy that it will strain you muscle much yet not to light either so you stress your arm to swing faster & faster.

4. MMJJ18

MMJJ18 New Member

Thank you very much for your tips!

I have two rackets. The Astrox 88D 3U and the Voltric 7 4U.

Which racket do you recommend me in my situation?

And which string is better and arm friendly. The BG 65 or the BG 66 UM?

Thanks in advance.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I had no knowledge with your injury so not sure if my advice would suit you or just makes worst your injury.

Going to the racket itself & put aside your injury, VT7 4U would be easier to play as its lighter & less stiff compare to 88D.

As for string, use any soft/medium feel string would be much enjoyable than hard string like BG80, but it would feel .... Well... Soft for sure. Some people love the feedback but repeat shock would give you more harm for sure.

Last, dont use to high tension. It work the same as stiff shaft. Higher tension mean more strain to you. Go for 22-24lbs as starter to find your enjoyable tension.

MMJJ18 likes this.
  6. MMJJ18

MMJJ18 New Member

@Budi

Thanks!

So compared the a/m rackets you would recommend to use the Voltric 7 and not the Astrox 88D anymore?

And for the string do you recommend the BG 65 or BG 66 UM with 10 kilogram tension? Both are very good and soft /medium strings. Should I stay with the BG 65, I heard the BG 66 UM is not so long durable and I don't want/pay re-string so often as hobby player? :)

#26 MMJJ18, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Without proper knowledge of your injury & not knowing you, im kinda use common measurement. 4U not quite stiff on VT7 would be much friendlier rather than your 88D which 3U & stiff.
    But maybe, its your technique that are wrong & trigger your injury.

For string its been quite long im not using Yonex string except for BG66UM, so kinda forget how it feel. For BG66UM durability, yes it wont last long but at least on me as long i didnt miss hit alot, it can last 2-3 month with 2x/week playing routine 3 hour each. But when i miss hit on hard smash, well... Say bye to a fresh new string. Maybe you want to try Lining no.1, similar to BG66UM but more slippery surface which makes slice hard, but at least its more durable than BG66UM.

MMJJ18 likes this.
  8. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

for people with shoulder pain while playing, get a flexible shaft + head heavy combo in 3u. If it's too head heavy you won't be able to defend with it, so go as head heavy as you can without feeling like it's too slow. If 3u is so heavy that your shoulder feel strain just from swinging it, then try a 4u.

People who get shoulder pain from badminton have one or combination of the below factors

- wrong technique
    - using a racket that's too heavy for their shoulders
    - using a racket that is either too headlight, too stiff, or both, and they're trying to compensate by exaggerating their swing
    - using a racket that doesn't have sufficient vibration dampening
    - using a string that's too hard like BG 80
    - using string tension that is too high
    - using a string or racket that doesn't have enough repulsion
    - don't stretch shoulder muscles properly before and after playing
    - have an inflexible shoulder, common for older people, or people who lift weights that have developed shoulder muscles. Stretching is even more essential for these people, they need to slowly widen the range of motion on their shoulder.
    - relies too much on shoulder for power, when you should be relying more on your legs, core, forearm, and even the fingers for smashes. Shoulder should be your last resort as a source of power imo.
    - This last one probably doesn't apply if you're not a pro or semi-pro, but if you over-train and over-play badminton it could cause shoulder problems, even if you're strong and have good technique

ps. If you're planning to get the most effortless badminton racket, don't forget to get the most effortless strings as well. Get a thin string with a lot of repulsion at the lowest tension you can tolerate, since it will relatively lack control with that setup.

#28 ChocoChipWaffle, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Father Parrot and MMJJ18 like this.
  9. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member