Badminton Central - Improvements?

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Mar 20, 2016.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Let me see if I can find it. The forum is in need of an upgrade anyway. I just need to find a block of free time. Last time I found a afternoon and that wasn't enough!

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Is there a need for them? Perhaps they might be clutter on the GUI?

One 'like' button is quite sufficient.

Notice that the stackexchange sites just have only one attribute related to one's view on a post, which is a vote.. which is a bit like a like. They don't have buttons for 'winner' or 'genius' etc perhaps as it'd detract from the content.

s_mair likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Completely agree. A simple "like" is fully sufficient imo.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    The only thing which would be nice, but is not necessary: a dislike button. Even in 2020 we see here stupid nonsense postings of the category that a thicker grip would make rackets headlight. It would be good to have the chance to vote such nonsense down to stop the spreading of such bs.

Furthermore it would be useful to make a wiki and a review section. Especially in the equipment section we see here daily several basic questions about rackets and strings which where discussed million times. Detailed reviews often didn't get the attention they deserve and are IMO wrongly placed on e.g. site 149 of 228 of a Brand Fan Club Thread.

Also in the technique forum it would be useful to give some default guidelines to play singles, doubles and mixed doubles. There are sometimes so basic questions which got also answered million times.

Also everybody who thinks that between the average BC member and international pro players are parallels to make any comparisons possible should be banned. I'm really sick of reading "Sure you (the average BC member) can use racket X with string Y and tensions Z for [insert discipline] because [insert title] [insert pro player] use it, too". These presumption are toxic.

Simeon and s_mair like this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If you think somebody is wrong then you can make your point and let it be judged on the merit of the argument. If somebody gets lots of disagreement from people then that's a thousand times better than some democrat bunch of dislikes. (And some may even click a dislike without even stating why). And somebody may click dislike or not click it, for goodness knows what reason.. Much better for reasons to be stated.

Simeon and kurako like this.
  6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

How about a delete button!!!

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

just lost a big post 'cos of a forum issue it looked like 3 duplicates but was actually 2 duplicates. There shouldn't really be any duplicate posts if a forum was programmed well.

But one of the things I was saying was if county or national level players are ones to look to then it'd be a good idea if they were often pointed to.. rather than top international level players..

Also, it's rare for anybody to say that an international level player does x so it's good to do x, i.e. drawing an equation, but it can be useful in understanding the game to look at what they do.. not to draw an equation and say any player should do it. But to understand it and see how a lower level player would/should do it differently. Or whether they should do a particular thing the same e.g. a stick smash(you don't have to be a super athlete to do a stick smash).

ucantseeme likes this.
  10. Khady

Khady Regular Member

A down or dislike button tends to carry a very negative/toxic atmosphere. I’m new here so I understand that my opinion won’t have a lot of weight. But the experience in online communities shows that it is better to avoid it.

CLELY, Fidget, Cheung and 3 others like this.
  11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It matters more what somebody says than who something says. You are right that it could create a negative atmosphere, but spreading wrong things which are since 20 years wrong water down the quality of the forum. It It just an idea to prevent it. You are new, but I'm interested how you see it and does it need a solution?

@ralphz I get your point, but jumping in 100 times per week is nothing which pay anything for me. A sticky which can be refered to for such things just by copying a link would be easy and moderators should close threads more often because the most OPs don't find the search function and it is not a bug of the forum. ;)

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I have not seen that and haven't really seen stupid posts..(the last and most stupid post I can remember was on exercise.. generally badminton players are very clueless about physical exercise at the gym.. and besides that, somebody asking for a medical opinion on if they should play when they have a sore this/that when their entire diagnosis is a sore thing). Maybe I saw the topic you mention and it didn't interest me, I don't click all topics.. I don't know much about rackets anyway I just get the one i'm recommended and it's not bad.. I can't imagine stupid posts are that hard to bat away.. it just takes one person to point out why it's stupid. So I don't understand when you say "]jumping in 100 times per week" to deal with stupid posts.

#32 ralphz, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Simeon likes this.
  13. Khady

Khady Regular Member

Unfortunately I don’t have a good solution to suggest. People want to be like professional, fighting this is fighting big brands’ marketing. But I do appreciate the effort of you and others to promote a more “reasonable” choice.

To me what you highlight is not a huge problem. Because past the first few days in the sport, in which everyone needs a racket (and the best one of course), the value of the forum is more in the technical/strategic advice than in racket recommendations.

14. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

Can you add MP4 extension in attachment .so that we can upload small videos

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    If you want to upload videos, put it on youtube. we don't have enough storage to handle videos.

16. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

I was saying about <1mb videos and to upload parts of clips in videos.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's like a 2 seconds clip in bad quality. Why would anyone need that? As kwun said, using YouTube is a lot more convenient and easy to integrate in a forum post.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Yes. I am leaning on having videos on youtube and linked here. you can embed the videos into posts so there are no integration issues.

unfortunately BC is a low, no, in fact, negative budget site. we have disk space, but won't be able to handle lots of videos, youtube is a much better platform.

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You aren't restricted in any way. Just read literally the following post to the one you've quoted. :rolleyes:

20. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Marketplace:

Can we make it easier to search for regions? Or maybe split it up into continents? Mandatory continent or [EU/NA/SEA/OC] or country [DE/NL/US/SP] brackets or like with the prefixes FS/WTB? It's really hard to see where people are willing to ship when scrolling through right now.

Arisuin and llrr like this.