covid-19 : to play or not to play indoor (doubles) ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by flyingcords, Aug 9, 2020.

?

Did you stop playing badminton indoor because of the COVID-19 ?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. No, but I play with a fixed partner

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. No, but I play with a very low number of players

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. No, but I only play singles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I would like to know if players stopped playing badminton due to contamination's risk while playing badminton indoor (doubles particularly).

2. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Are you asking if we stopped playing VOLUNTARILY?

Fidget likes this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I still play but i put some rule in my sunday club.
    1. Max 8 person per court. 4 play & 4 rest. 2 person sitting on each side of the court to put distancing.
    2. The 8 person are fixed & i know them. No outsider & at least i know my prefered friend are not stuborn idiot that would carelessly roaming the city without mask.
    3. Reserve for the most corner of the hall, to limit other people passing by.
    4. Looking for well circulated air hall. Not an unused warehouse turned into badminton court.

The rest we all know & understand to protect ourself. Keep a distance, put a mask off only on court, wash our hand after each games.

The downside, right now we had 3 good player & 5 beginner level. So we kinda lack a good games for the good player where we can go all out. But well, at least we can get some sweat. And as im quite picky to choose the hall, i had to book early or else we wont be able to play. But as we are a fixed member of 8, sometimes when many player unavailable due to their family/work, i cant book early. So we still unable to play in weekly routine.

Hopefully this pademic could end sooner.

sokol250 and flyingcords like this.
  4. flyingcords

Yes, for sure, I wanna know if it's your decision because of the risks, for you (and your family) ... I know that a lot of people can't play during summer because of the lack of places to play and the summer closure of the clubs, but I'm not asking about these cases. I hope now the poll is more clear. Thanks for your question.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I play doubles, but I also try to make the number of contacts as low as possible. I play with a fixed partner for weeks vs. a fixed pair for weeks. So I only have contact with 3 other people during play. If someone don't attend we do training drills. if all 3 don't attend I also don't come to play.

sokol250 likes this.
  6. flyingcords

Lucky you ! To have the opportunity to play with a low number of person (fixed partner, fixed opponents) and lower risk. In my case, my club decided to open the door to other clubs, so a lot of players from everywhere and everybody mix partners and opponents. And very low air circulation. So I decided to stop playing. I have only played a couple of sessions of singles at the beginning of the end of the lock-down, since then instead of playing badminton, I go cycling everyday for an hour at least ... :(
    Your answer made me change the poll, adding more possiblities, thanks.

#6 flyingcords, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    ucantseeme likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    That's a stupid move. Why should you offer non-members your courts while risking to get more infections. That's absolutely stupid and careless.
    And everybody accept this? You as member need to stay at home while courts get flood with non-members? Luckily I have 3 people in my club who also care about that. The rest also do play like before only with no handshake.

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

on normal situation, i would be happy to accept stranger to join our club & i would love a challange to play with other unknown good player. But thats if we had normal life but today situation is way far from normal.

Another suggestion maybe is that you start your own group like what i did.
    I call selected friend/member of my old club that i know well. From his attitude, where he live & works, their family, you will get a hint if he/she is an ignorance/dumb/careless or not. I contact them personally so it wont attract unwanted player if i share it in Whasapp group.
    Then me & my friend start to hunt for a hall to play. I prefer a true badminton hall rather than some random big space in some building turned into badminton court. Its more expensive but they clean the court regularly & good air circulation ofcourse.
    Then i always pick the last most corner court, so no random guy will passing by our court.
    When everything ready, every friday i will contact them & ask who would like to play. If at least we had 4 player, i will reserve the court. But if my court is taken, then sadly we skip the week.

9. flyingcords

10. bingunginter

bingunginter New Member

our group still play as normal.

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Since monday the chairman want that we must mix with everybody. I refused to mix and to play several opponents with several partners on various courts. Atm I'm the big party pooper at my club. I get really problems to understand that a large amount of persons don't understand that I'm more careful (belong to high risk group, have relatives which belong to high risk group) and try to force me to do the same like them. I can't do. If my father get infected the chances are very high that he die, but even this don't hold people back to try and try and try over and over again to force me to mix. They don't get it and I get tired to explain it over and over again to the same people.

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Some people can be as dumb as donkey but thinking them self as smart as Einstein.

But well... You know... Most of the time, regret come later.

Just keep yourself safe bro. Let them call you chicken or anything & become the only one who smile at the end of the day.

sokol250 likes this.
  13. flyingcords

That's another reason why I stopped playing, the first reason being not having a fixed partner, or trusted ones. I will probably not play for a whole year at least (it has allready been six month ...).
    Perhaps I could have tried to find a player in the same state of mind asking everybody in the club and become fixed partners with this player for a long time, but we'll be in the same spot as ucantseeme, if so ...

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    That's what we (me and my partner) do but we struggle everytime to explain us. I love to play, but also love to train and badminton is something for me to relax. These pressuring to do the same like all makes me really angry. Everybody is different. If I go home with a happy, satisfied, comfortable with a save and secure feeling after 15-20 minutes warm up and 1-1.5 hours of training and drills I don't disturb anybody. I don't block courts or anything else. It's for me a trust thing and atm I don't trust anyone except my partner and 2-3 other players who are also careful. I'm also thinking about to stop.

15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

hhhmmm... If you had 3 person you really trust, why not making your own tiny club to play with this 4 player.
    At least that what i do to play in small closed group. Tho i had to admit that its not quite fun for me having no quality games due to most of my friend that i trust are kinda lower level. Almost every games i had to hold up myself & cant going all out. But at least im able to step my feet in the court, take out my racket from my bag, & get some sweat.

Hopefully next year this pademic are over & we all can get back to our normal life.

sokol250 likes this.
  16. flyingcords

Last time I went to my club to deliver a fresh stringged racquet to one of my friend, I talked to another member, who was just arriving at the place, and in the middle of the conversation, he just said to me that he was waiting for a test result ... so, he was going to play doubles without knowing for sure that he was tested negative or not !
    That's an example that shows that you cannot be sure people do what is needed to not spread the virus ... and the guy I was talking to is a science teacher at university ...

#16 flyingcords, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    sokol250 and ucantseeme like this.
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    We did exactly that and we are all the same level so the games are quite balanced and challenging. Yesterday just me and my partner were there. I paid the membership in advance for this year and why should I travel 30km to book a court for 1 hour at the price of the monthly fee, if my club has enough courts. Badminton is not popular here. Why forcing members to act against their own comfort and desire? We don't harm anybody, we don't block anything, 3 courts were still free to use. Our behaviour don't influence anything except that some people can't partner me or play me.

Budi likes this.
  18. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    smh. Covid-19 really reveal the stupidity of many.

sokol250 likes this.