After AX88D 4U (maybe something less head-heavy)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Boinkers, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Boinkers

Boinkers New Member

Hi all, recently gifted away a spare racquet and am now looking for a 2nd racquet to accompany my AX88D (I can see the string starting to fray).

Have been casually playing for a good 15+ years, so, around intermediate level (I'd like to think), but oversized/chunky/fluffy. Always doubles, generally balanced play.

Been playing with the 88D as my main racquet and loved it. Although I notice that I struggle to generate enough speed to do a decent clear during tense defenses. As a result, I'm thinking of trying out a racquet that's a little less head-heavy or maybe even go all the way to a balanced racquet.

Any thoughts as to which racquets I should try next? And whether it'll be too disruptive to switch between the HH AX88D and a even-balanced racquet?

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Have you try 3U head heavy racket?
    Well, maybe you are slow swing type, but if you had the strength for 3U head heavy racket while still able to maintain the same speed, the additional weight will help you with your slow swing.

3. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I would suggest the ax99. I find it to be less head heavy and faster than the ax88D

4. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

I would think the 88S would be a nice step down from the 88D in the head weight department while having the same tech.

5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

That is the wrong way around.If you struggle to do a decent clear, you should switch to a more head-heavy one. I own the 88d, 88s and 77 and I have most trouble generating enough power with the 88d, thought the 77 is more head-heavy. I think, that the 88d is the most stiff racket and therefor it is not the easiest to play. I switched to the 77 as more flex and a little bit more head-heavy to have less issues with generating power for clears etc. If I would play mostly double, I would stick to the 88s because of its fast movement and it is not as stiff as the 88d.

6. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

If you are using 3u, you may drop to 4u with same racket. Otherwise, I may suggest victor auraspeed 90k which is nice for balanced play with some emphasis on power

Yves-bzh-29 likes this.
  7. Boinkers

Boinkers New Member

Thanks all for your suggestions.

No I haven't actually. Not sure if I'll have enough speed for a 3U HH racquet. Definitely something for me to research. I'll try and find someone who'll let me borrow a 3U 88D racquet for a game or two.

Isn't it the other way round?

My research seems to point me in that direction. Thought if there are others I should consider / try out.

It's not so much I can't do decent clears, but more so I can't back-swing fast enough far enough to react to drives / smashes on certain angles. Hence my thought on something quicker (i.e. less HH or even balanced). Will defintely give the 88S a go since I mostly play doubles.

8. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Maybe the first batch of the ax99 is more head heavy (haven't tried it yet) but I have the second batch version and I found it to be quicker than the 88D.
    88S was awesome quick but the 99 is right in between for me at least.
    Best is that you can try them out.

9. Vishal Vaibav

Vishal Vaibav New Member

I recommend u go for the Arcsaber 10 or 11 becoz they are one of the best even balanced racquet or u can even go for the Li-ning N90 IV which is also a good racquet. If u want another light head heavy racquet, maybe u shud go for the Ashaway Phantom 100 which is actually an awesome racquet........................

10. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Auraspeed 90s 3u, auraspeed 90k 4u, astrox 88s 4u are probably my top picks for all-rounders that have a faster swing than ax88d 4u.

11. Tennyson

Tennyson Regular Member

If the big brands are your game, I would recommend Victor Auraspeed 90K and Li Ning Tectonic 7 as all rounders and not considered demanding.

12. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

I'm using 88D too and for something less I use AN9000c and even less BS12.

If you want another Yonex, perhaps Nanoflare 700 2020 ltd edition would be a nice collection.

If I were to have another one, it would be either Arc11 or Nanoflare 700.