Tokyo 2020

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by kurako, Jan 31, 2019.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Maybe they assuming all sport fans know about OG postponement, it would be better to display complete version of date, DD-MM-YYYY.

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Simply Tokyo 2020 +1.

I think it sounds great! It feels positive and this little "+" changes everything. I know facts are facts and it's not a happy story if we remain rational but when it's narrated by Ikee Rikako who went through something horrible lately, it also help us to put things in perspective a little bit regarding the postponement of the games. I found the video very powerful thanks to Ikee Rikako's words and voice, it carried some heavy yet positive energy. I think Tokyo 2020 +1 is really a true message of hope for everyone and I'm even more excited about it than I was before it was canceled.

KhoaHa, Baddie lover, CLELY and 2 others like this.
  3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

She's a symbol of hope to fight relentlessly in very challenging circumstances. More simplified games in every aspect for XXXII edition, let's wait and see what will happen a year from now.

LenaicM likes this.
  4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Woww. Nice video. Tokyo 2020 + 1 gives such positive vibes. Ignites hope and everything will be well in future. Next year OG will be monumental. I pray that everything becomes normal before that. Hope is important. Stay safe guys.

LenaicM likes this.
  5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

video not available....

KhoaHa likes this.
  7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Click the underlined link saying "watch on YouTube" :)

stanleyfm likes this.
  8. indrg

indrg Regular Member

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    any changes from 2 years ago, err, 1 'badminton' year ago?

ms - no changes

ws
    - it's getting crowded. adding okuhara & chen yufei to the other 4 in the possible gold pot. marin has the opportunity to become the undisputed goat of ws with one more olympic gold. witnessing history is always exciting, so, if carolina makes the final i want her to win.

md - gold? hmmm... ahsan/setiawan are 1 year older and that concerns me. even though they were still winning up to the shutdown they are both notably slower. in 6 more months what will their speed look like? they'll need to play perfectly to make the final. my 3 most probable finalist are ahsan/setiawan & rankireddy/shetty, still, and increasing the chances of endo/watanabe. nobody is improving faster than rankishetty: ranki having the most raw power and shetty becoming a great, and i mean great player: front court, back court, defense, attacking, court awareness, shot selection, you name it... the endotanabe factors are no other pair has been playing consistently better on offense & defense and they have no exploitable weaknesses.

wd - adding matsumoto/nagahara to the medal mix.

xd
    - no changes

#309 samkool, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The only question now being, whether Tokyo 2020 (...2021) will actually take place. According to an NHK survey made public today, 80% of respondents questioned between January 9-12 favour outright cancellation, or another postponement. Given the current Covid-19 situation, only 16% believe that the Games should be held this summer.

Prime Minister Suga is already drifting in a sea of unpopularity; to what extent is he (or the bigwigs who actually wield power) prepared to stomach even more disfavour?

11. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Zhang Ning won 2 consecutive Golds, 2004 and 2008

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    true, but she only has 1 wc gold to go with it, whereas carolina has 3.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

IS BADMINTON A DYING SPORT? When virus (catastrophe) meets with demographic collapse.

In the past, we d see young stars rising. Taufik already being WR1 at 19 and then come young LD/LCW, now that they retire , is there much left? How does these players break through and not just break through but being at WR1 at such young age. Nowadays , we dont see this anymore. The youngest participant in MS , i believe is Kunlavut and he will be 20 this year ( He enters the main draw because many withdrawn)o. Well, he will struggle to break top 15 let alone top 8 in coming years. I'd say the youngest top player is Ginting and AA ( Even so, they will be 25&24 respectively this year). From time to time, we'd see players like An Se Young or Leo/Daniel who yet to turn 20 reaching Superseries SF but its rare, like really rare ( also entering main draw because of withdrawals)

Most worryingly, i havent seen any regeneration in Taipei, HK, Korea, and to some extent you can say Japan (China excluded because of their sheer population at this time but didnt someone in CHN camp also admitted there hasnt been a lot of potential pool). Of course, most of these countries have very low TFR, Korea at <0.80 this and has been hovering around 1 for the last 20 years, no wonder there is little talent from year 2000/95 onwards .

What we see are players like CTC, TTY, wheres their younger cohorts? We also used to see a good XD pair from HK. Where is young Korea MS player that can replace SonWanHo? The situation must be dire. For example, you can say they are still competitive in WD but even the youngest WD for Korea will be 27 this year. the MD for Korea isnt like the years gone by or last decades and of course , the reasons are demographics. There use to be KimDongMun / LeeDongSoo. Of course even Malaysia struggles to replace LCW. The situation is most acute in Korea, their TFR is the lowest of all. Its just sad that badminton powerhouse isnt like how they used to be and has been felt with many countries. Like Denmark losing its WS WD XD prowess.

You can also say, many of these players are just waiting for Olympic Games and will retire after that.

14. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

i don't think tfr have that big role since jpn always has low tfr. Its abt ppl willing to let their children follow a pro career or not. Some high population country but % play badminton is low

samkool likes this.
  15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    agreed. there is a greater variety of more economic opportunities to pursue as a career than in the past.

16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

for the moment, it is

Badminton is a game dominated by Asian countries. Gone was the day that sport athlete was heralded highly a few decades ago in Asia, because back then, any international achievement was considered as sacred. Nowadays, people see the price that athlete has to pay when reaching their dream (or failure to achieve it), and prefers to go to other career opportunities. Winning these tournaments are not considered that worthy anymore to be pursued by youngsters and the parents

I think badminton will decrease even more in size in the next 10 years.
    After that, it will be difficult to predict but my forecast is badminton will stagnate for another 20 years before dye out or regain their heydey or even become more popular than now or early 2000

I think the key to become more bigger in the next 10 years is:
    - change of lifestyle in Asian countries that allow people to have good income for amateur badminton competition
    - making badminton as an interesting inside sport to be played in the winter for European countries youngsters

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    super condensed version of one aspect in my overhaul of professional badminton: 50% fewer top tier tournaments, double the prize money per top tier tournament.

potential earnings is higher and is more attractive as a career pursuit.

spectator wise people love watching athletes compete for big money.

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

The Olympics look like it wont happen this year. I guess many players will go into retirement after 2021.

In these pandemics, we have seen LD , JOJ , JungKE, who else into retirements?

19. indrg

indrg Regular Member

it is canceled. Many players have to wait for the next Olympic in 2024?

20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Are you sure how do you know ?