Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good idea !

2. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Also, try to play mixed doubles time to time(real mixed double that your partner know what to do) . It will correct most of your footwork and your form. You will know what you did wrong that lead you to unable to play the after shot. Also, you will learn how to play deep fore/back hand corner shot effectively. You will learn to think before hitting and play with consistency. Now, your game is like hit and gone. It lacks of long rally and good defense. Now your balance is still bouncing all over the place. Try to minimize it.

Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

[​IMG]

I have rarely seen anybody that size jump that high, so well done for that. Made my day!

There is some variation across videos with the height of the jump, if that's what you want then that's one thing, but otherwise it's worth pacing yourself. I understand that jump smashes are important to you for the fun aspect.

#1044 ralphz, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Mason likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

First day back after 5 months of no badminton . Felt good to be back on the court !!!

missclicked likes this.
  6. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

Looks solid game, have you tried the soft-tight on impact-soft grip in a badminton swing, I felt you can accelerate your "racket head speed" more by adapting this

#1046 missclicked, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Can you be more specific as to what this means ?

8. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

grip when hitting the smash, explained in the 6:00 minute mark

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

missclick wrote "Looks solid game, have you tried the soft-tight on impact-soft grip in a badminton swing, I felt you can accelerate your swing more by adapting this"

Based on that quote, what missclick is talking about is a basic thing, it's the idea of tightening the grip just before impact.

I know you know about having a (somewhat) "relaxed grip".. One advantage is it allows you to change grip more easily, another advantage is tightening the grip just before impact. It wouldn't be relaxed on impact. And wouldn't be tight through the swing.

#1049 ralphz, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    missclicked likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So once again I figured out something huge that Is hurting my game. I do not load my right leg properly!!! Mostly because of an old ankle injury so quite frankly , my right leg does not produce enough power on its own. Me focusing on loading and driving off my right leg will help me a lot.
    I did 25 minutes of footwork drills today with the main goal of better footwork but as a mini goal to produce more power from my right leg
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Your footwork homework looks a lot like mine, but you have so much more space to practise, I'm jealous. So, here are some thought, more like a foundation for discussion, than critic of your exercise.

I like to use a badminton footwork app put on a tripod infront of me. I like to use badminton steps, I believe you use the same. With 6 corners, 4 second interval, 50 corners per set, 10 sets, 30 seconds break. I think that it helps me a lot, because I don't need to think about what to do, I just need to react and move, all the time.

I would fall into a lower split to press you away more powerful in the right direction. When you are too upright the direction of force is more up then in the direction you want to move.

When I start a movement (directional split), I like to put the foot which is used to push you away more sideways to the direction I want to move. E.g at 2:29, you move to the backhand-frontcourt and your right foot is pointing right in the direction you want to move. When using a lot of force here, you will put a lot of strain on your achilles tendon.

When doing the scissor I like to 'fall' forward to the center. E.g at 3:22, when your left foot hit the ground, let your body pull you lower while pushing with your left leg away from the ground. I although try to move more to the center instead of just forward. I know, that the forward movement is useful after a smash as followup, but most other shots will benefit from getting faster to the center (I'm mostly thinking about singles).

After talking with a coach I try to incorporate staying on my frontfoot all the time, so when going back to the start/centerposition I split into my readyposition, just on the frontfoot while lowering my body and bending my knees slightly and putting my body slightly forward.

Mason likes this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good suggestions!

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did another 20 min of drills this morning

#1053 Mason, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  14. Sigurds

Sigurds Regular Member

Oops, double edit.

15. Sigurds

Sigurds Regular Member

I haven't watched all of your videos, but what stood most out to me, is that at for instance 7:33 and forward when you go into your forehand backcourt you almost turn your entire body around before doing your scissor jump. Try to keep your body turned, but keep facing in the same direction. Also you cross your non-racket leg in front of your racket leg, I actually think that's the reason you turn, you should either do a chasse or cross it behind. Hope it makes sense.
    Tobias Wadenka covers some of it in this video:

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Played ok last night. My strings went near the end and they were definitely lacking in power throughout the night. There was a huge difference once I switched to a better racket with good swings

I was a little bit more relaxed but I need to work on my lunges and get my foot pointing in the correct direction. I have some training ideas to make it part of muscle memory

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Did 30 minutes of footwork drills yesterday. was really working on making sure my right foot is pointed properly when lunging and i definitely make progress there. towards the end of the trailer for sure i was very consistent with that

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I’ve been doing quite a bit of footwork drills over the last couple of days
    Here’s my most recent session.
    Overall I’m trying to be smoother and faster, also I’d like have better lunges

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  19. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    @Mason this forum you made is amazing. These videos you make day to day to practice motivates me when I play badminton. I hope you excel in your strokes!

Mason likes this.
  20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ive done 16 days in a row of badminton footwork. I think once i can get back to the club to play i will be much better!! Here is my most recent training