Accuracy of the Premium Stringer 3600

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by akatsuki2104, Jul 7, 2020.

1. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hello guys,
    I've got myself a Premium Stringer 3600 and I was wondering about its accuracy.
    I tried to measure the tension like this : WhatsApp Image 2020-07-07 at 23.50.02.jpeg It was set at 12,5kg.
    I've also measured a pack of water 6x1,5L and I got 9,3kg so I think it's pretty accurate.
    How do you guys check your tension?

2. Brunoille

Brunoille Regular Member

Hello, the principle of your measure is correct. However you must pay attention to the following points:
    1/ the scale may not accurately sticked (that is why a calibration is always necessary to determine the right position for the weight at a given tension);
    2/ the position of the gripper does have an influence: its neutral position is vertical (when no momentum is applied). In your position, it counterbalances a little the weight and thus the resulting tension is lower. At the opposite direction, it would be the contrary.
    For the last point, see for example these posts: https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...tringing-machines.110074/page-21#post-2655378 and https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...tringing-machines.110074/page-10#post-2398351).
    On my Superstringer, the difference of tension between the extreme positions of the gripper is around + or - 0.5 kg.
    Enjoy!

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  3. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    You set it to 12,5 kg but measured 9,8 kg?
    Doesn't sound right.o_O

Anyway I'd also suggest to not trust the scale on the bar and instead determine the tension with the setup in your picture.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's not the first time that we've seen these deviations on PS3600 machines in here - but I'm too lazy to dig out the threads. All of them were pulling significantly lower than set and so far, there has been no real explanation why. Wild guess is that they use a wrong scale sticker. If you want to do the right thing then make your own markings on the scale or re-glue it to the correct position.

5. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Silly suggestion, are you sure you are reading the number on the correct side of the weight? Me and a friend have machines that are meant to be read on left and right side of the weight. This resulted in one hilarious instance where a kid ended up with 11.5kg instead of 10kg.. (we fixed it immediately, of course)

ucantseeme likes this.
  6. akatsuki2104

Hi, many thanks for your replies.
    I've checked my little scale accuracy and it's fine.
    I've redone the tests yesterday with newer strings on the scale and tightening them properly. I constantly got 1,5kg lower than what the sticker showed. There is only one side on the machine bar so I don't think I could misread that xD.
    To conclude, the sticker's position must be wrong :mad:
    Fortunately, it's not the other way around, I could have broken a racket :confused:

7. akatsuki2104

You are right but as I measured it manually, it should be accurate (sticker scale minus 1,5kg) so even if it counterbalances the weight, I will get what I measured ^^

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I personally doubt that it is the sticker. I mean the bar will be manufactured at equal length. Beeing off by 7cm nearly impossible to produce these difference by inaccurate positioning. I also doubt that the weight is manufactured with such huge tolerances.

I think the culprit is the tensioner axis. The screws are very sensitive to adjust and if they are too firm the mechanism don't work accurate and loose enough. I experienced this when I replaced the spring for a friend. I would try to loose the screw by 1/8 to 1/6 and see if it works better. Overtightening is the only step in production which can lead to such tolerances. There is also a screw on the backside which runs in a groove. If it is too tight there can be enough friction for such tolerances.

#8 ucantseeme, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    akatsuki2104, thyrif and s_mair like this.
  9. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I meant having the weight end at the number, or having the weight start at the number you want.

-------10kg-----11kg-------
    -[weight]-------------------

or

-------10kg-----11kg-------
    ------------[weight]--------

That is about 1.5-2 kg on my machine.

But a wrongly tensioned or dirty axis may be the culprit, @ucantseeme usually has great suggestions

akatsuki2104 and ucantseeme like this.
  10. akatsuki2104

As you suggested, I have loosen the screw and it doesn't change anything. I measured the same 1,5kg bias

11. akatsuki2104

Yes I have thought about that and well, it is set at the "far" side of the number and it is still under weighted. If I set it at the opposite side, it would be even under weighted

12. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    It probably is as s_mair said, a seemingly wrong sticker. Mine along with others years ago had the same problem, mine was out by 2kg.
    At the time, I had all the same usual 'make sure you check this, check that..', 'can't be the sticker'.

I guess you can say it was 'unresolved', but I just moved the sticker across to where my tensioner said it should be (and the ping frequencies from the resulting string jobs were right on par with what it should be) and to date (I still use this machine about 3-4 years on) has been working exactly as it should, no change in tension.

s_mair and akatsuki2104 like this.
  13. akatsuki2104

Yeah, for know, I will just subtract 1,5kg. I don't really need pinpoint accuracy :)
    Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions :)

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I was in the cellar. My weight is 1.200g .12.5kg at the sticker is at 23.5cm. If sticker and weight are equal to mine there must be somthing at the axis. I'm not in the mood to replace the wise with a drop weight, but I remember pretty well that I measured the whole bar with a scale for each set tension when I received my machine and mine was working properly.

15. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    This was one of the threads that we discussed about it. I think there were one or two more, but cbb to find it. https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/getting-way-too-high-tension.176428/

Weight is 1.2kg. But my 12.5kg is 25cm (whilst in the machine)
    Measuring 2kg in distance, mine would have read about 19cm before I moved the sticker.

There were also differences in the rod length as well, mine being 46cm (rod taken out of the machine, I now realised I mistakenly measured it whilst it was in the machine when I measured it in the other thread), someone elses being 47cm.

akatsuki2104 likes this.