Feedback on my Footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mikaeel, Jul 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mikaeel

mikaeel New Member

Hello everyone. I am looking for some feedback and advice on my footwork. Unfortunately, I was not able to access a badminton court because of the pandemic as we all know and I also didn't have a feeder to feed me shuttles so I decided to do shadow footwork in my backyard. I do not have a coach and have been training on my own entirely so I was worried about my technique and whether I was doing it right. I have been training for badminton footwork lately and have been learning the footwork through you tube videos and practicing daily. I am an intermediate player with a relatively stronger lower body since I weight train 2 days a week and along with that I do some agility training about 4 days a week. I mainly trying to achieve fluidity in my footwork like how to transition between different footwork patters easily and comfortably. I am trying to do my split steps better better since I find that i become faster that way but also it is hard for me to maintain the same rhythm throughout my footwork.
    Also I want to know how can i recover better and quicker from my lunges in front corner. I find that I am not quick enough in getting out of the corners. I looked up recovery steps online but i am confused about it as to what is a recovery step and how do you perform it.
    I feel very sluggish with my footwork to the forehand deep corner and i find that my split step somehow may be the reason or I may not have wider stance after a split step when I try to get to the forehand deep corner. I really want to know if my center of gravity is low enough as i really try to do it but i don't how much lower do i have to be and if i am doing my split step correctly before starting my movement.
    Since i don't have anyone to correct my footwork technique, I thought why not post on this forum since I have seen a lot of experienced people with great advice and tips. I would tremendously appreciate any advice or feedback from you all.
    By the way, since I am doing in this in my backyard, I don't have the dimensions of the court and so I am intuitively guessing the angle and length of each corner. I know it may be hard to analyze my footwork like this without a court but this was all I could do.
    Following is the video:

#1 mikaeel, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. Joran

Joran Regular Member

from this video i filter a couple of improvements.

1. You said it yourself, lower that center of gravity. compare it to a semi squad. dont go to deep because that will be tiring. Ask coaches around you for the perfect fit, definitely lower than what it is now.

2. when performing a scissor jump focus on your body going forward when landing back on the ground.

3. you turn your body to much sideways when performing deep forehand corner hits. this reduces your ability to return quickly, also when u have time u can perform a scissor jump in this corner for a faster return.

4. transform the energy going into your lunges into a fast take-off back to your centre of court, try to focus on this. like pushing the ground away.

mikaeel likes this.
  3. mikaeel

mikaeel New Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback. Yes about the center of gravity, i really have to lower that.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Few times i saw coach use 6 shuttle put on 6 corner & tell his trainie to do the footwork without racket & on every corner they had to touch the shuttle before going back to neutral position.
    So maybe for easier drill you can use shuttle tube on 6 corner.

mikaeel likes this.
  5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Here are some tips which might help you:
    1. When doing a lunge to the front you jump back for recovery. This will be very energy consuming when doing it in a realy match and the necessarity to recover from a deeper lunge. Best to draw your non-racket foot behind before doing the recovery step (not jump).
    2. The forhand backcourt corner, try out a scissor jump instead of an indicated china jump. The china jump is often only used when you don't have the time to reach the shuttle early enough, a scissor jump is preferred to generate more power and redirect the movement.
    3. When reaching for the forhand backcourt corner, you use a crossover step, try out a shuffle step instead. Shuffles are often easier to chain up if you need to cover more distance.
    4. You dont use a neutral split step, instead you immediatly split into the 'right' direction, which works when you anticipate the right direction at the right time. Try to get a footwork app which sends you into random directions you can't anticipate. In this case the movement flow would be more like: move to corner -> return to center -> neutral split into ready position -> app shows direction -> split into direction of corner -> move

Pros will merge 'neutral split into ready position -> app shows direction -> split into direction of corner' into a fluid single split step combined with superb anticipation, but I would start with the more basic version.

mikaeel likes this.
  6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I've not heard that before..

I heard that the china jump is good for when it is flat so you cut it out. And that tends to be hitting it quite early.

7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think, we are talking about the same.

8. Joran

Joran Regular Member

It is good to reach te shuttle faster, but when u have the time u should perfom a scissor jump for more power in your smash

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

don't have the time to reach the shuttle early enough = you are late

I speak of cutting it out early, you speak of hitting it late.

That's not saying the same thing about when it is used!