Lower Back Pain after Jump Smashing

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Justin N., Aug 28, 2017.

1. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm a high school player. I jump smash very frequently in doubles. It uses ab contraction a lot, kind of resembling Mohammad Ahsan's jump smash when he arches his back and contracts it. When I arch my back however and contract my abs, it leads to some immediate back pain somewhere in the middle lumbar region. The pain recurs everytime I bend down or twist my abdomen. It should have gone away by now but it doesn't seem to.

Possible technique changes? Tips on how to have a jump smash form like Fu Haifeng? And most importantly, effective treatment?

P.S See this video to understand what i mean by "arched back" and "contracting abs"

Thanks a lot!

2. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Definitely something you want to get checked out. I practice my smash for 30 minutes at a time and this never occurred to me.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What somebody does on video may not what you do in real life.

If you are asking for technique changes, a video of your technique will be much easier to give advice upon.

4. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

Hi Cheung,

sorry for the late response! Please enlighten me, Cheung-sensei! :) I'll post this on another thread to get more general advice other than treatment of my back pain.

Here you go:

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I would first stop jump smashing.

Secondly, you are not really contracting your abs in a way that produces a smash.

Try to take a few videos from the sideview. I am sure you will see your contact point is not in front enough to get your shoulders moving. I think you have to correct this and then get the correct form for a smash before jump smashing.

6. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

Sounds great, Cheung! How would one practice getting behind the shuttle fast enough to get that "contact point?" Thanks for your advice!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Get used to practicing with a contact point more in front of you.

It is not about getting back fast enough. You can still run back fast and have a suboptimal contact point.

8. thenabilizer

thenabilizer New Member

Sorry for chiming in to this thread so late, but I just had to share this in case it helps someone out. I wish I had gotten this advice years ago.

Dealing with back pain can be incredibly difficult, especially if it is a chronic condition. If you want to get relief that lasts, you need to find something that addresses the cause of your problem. There are many guides to curing back pain online, but the Back Pain Breakthrough is unique.

The Back Pain Breakthrough is a program for providing people with relief from back pain that is backed up by hard scientific evidence. All of the information in this guide is rooted in medical fact. It is partially based on a centuries old drawing by Leonardo da Vinci that details the anatomy of the back. It contains some incredible insights into how the human body functions that can be used to relieve even severe back pain.

This program doesn’t require you to follow a rigorous exercise routine or use any nonsensical methods. It was created by a doctor who is one of the world’s leading authorities on back and neck pain. I highly recommend it. Here's a link to their site.