Adidas Grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Budi, May 24, 2020.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Had anyone try Adidas grip?
    Wucht P5, Kalkul A5, & Uber F5.
    (They need to fix how they name their product. Its really messup if you had racket, bag, shoes, grip, & everything with the same name even tho its different product)

so, how good are their grip?

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I tried a few of the grips, not sure which they were.
    They had a good level of grip, not used them for long periods yet.
    The Adidas grips were almost identical to Pros Pro Tacky that I also use.
    @DuckFeet had some of the Adidas grips so may be able to help further

INAtoPHtoINAplayer likes this.
  3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I ordered the Kalkül, and the Spieler grips, but it will be a while before they'll get there.

I already have the Wucht grips and they're like a slightly more tacky Supergrap. I do like the initial feel, but I didn't play a whole lot with it yet.
    Which color did you try? If it's the new ADIDAS line, black would be the Spieler grips, green is Kalkül, white is Wucht and yellow is Überschall...
    PSX_20200525_151140.jpg
    The Wucht grips don't remind me of any Pro's Pro grips I've tried, but there's so many of them.

I just hope I'll like the Spieler ones, because of these colors, I prefer black for the P8 (white would work, you just see all the dirt).

Dave1011 likes this.
  4. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I cant remember which colours they are, I will see if I have any left.
    I had them in my bag alongside my Pros pro Tacky grips and didn't notice any difference in feel.
    I used whichever colour looked best and never looked to see which grip it was.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Now I'm interested...a slightly more tacky Supergrap? I hope this is not the brand ambassador exaggeration?;)

6. speCulatius

What does exaggeration mean? I'm not a big fan of supergrap.

So far, I'd say they're more durable, but close enough overall that I want to get a white supergrap to directly compare them.

I moved away from supergrap to the old Adidas grips a long time ago, overall, I think this new one is superior to the old one. Better durability, slightly more tacky, seems to soak up sweat quite well enough. I could easily play with one racket for two hours, but the conditions were not that warm... and then even in a warmer hall 90 minutes of intense singles wasn't a problem.

By now, the other grips arrived as well, but I cannot say anything about them yet.
    PSX_20200621_185307.jpg
    While this little tube is nice to have, it seems like a lot of plastic for 3 grips.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Really? For me are supergrap and wilson pro the benchmarks for excellent grips. The softness are perfect to wrap them up the cone and the silky touch are perfect for me. So a tackier supergrap sounds to me perfect, but don't get me wrong: I'm always a bit sceptical, because the BC hypetrain praise was not always that what I experienced as well. ;) Anyway I will get them for 4€ a pack, will try out on my next order.

8. speCulatius

I don't have much experience with white supergrap, but the durability of the black one is... pretty bad for me. On top of that, it gets slippery when I swear a lot.

So far, I didn't have those issues with the Wucht grip and the durability seems to be better. It's just a first impression and no direct comparison, though.

I'm interested in what you think!

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The black and navy supergrap are the worst of all. Yellow and white are best for me. I pretty curious how they turn out. At the moment I prefer the Wilson Pro over the Yonex, but it change from time to time. I have 3 identical rackets, so a side by side comparison of all three is possible. :) I don't care about durability. I change them every 1-2 weeks (like my underwear :D)

speCulatius likes this.
  10. speCulatius

@ucantseeme
    Thickness wise, I think the Supergraps are 0.55mm? So maybe the Überschall or Kalkül grips would be better that way.
    PSX_20200622_132509.jpg
    Wucht [white], Kalkül [green], Überschall [yellow]

I wonder why the Überschall are shorter. Just to make the difference of the diameter of the center plastic roll more obvious?

There's a little sample glued to reach package and they feel fairly similar, the tackiness varies more depending on the direction I'm trying to move my finger, than between those samples. I think both Überschall and Kalkül are slightly more tacky than the Wucht, but the Wucht package is older and that might contribute to it as well.

Maybe I can get a hold of both a yellow and a white supergrap for comparison.

Just to make this more complete, the Spieler grips are 0.60mm.

ucantseeme likes this.
  11. speCulatius

Can't promise when I can get to compare them, but...
    PSX_20200622_172926.jpg
    ... it's hard to compare the thickness that way, but it does look pretty obvious that the Wucht is a bit thicker. That plastic roll shouldn't make that much of a difference.
    Measured length of the white supergrap is 123 cm, so longer than all Adidas grips (spec wise).

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

isnt Wilson Pro grip for Tennis?
    Never played tennis before but im imagine Tenis racket is bigger & heavier, so the grip will be much thicker & wider.
    Or its pretty much similar to badminton grip?

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Yonex AC102EX is also very popular in Tennis. I never played but know some players. For Wilson Overgrip Pro there was also a squash version in the past. And since they are all 25mm width and 0.6mm thin I really give a damn if they are meant for tennis, squash or badminton. I really recommend to look at tennis for grips. Much more options to choose. Also Gamma has decent and very thin overgrips which work for badminton.

Dave1011, speCulatius and I3ugs like this.
  14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

so, im seduced by you:oops:. Instead getting Adidas grip to try, i just order Wilson Pro 3 pack to try.:p
    Well... It will be here in few days. Had a high hope for it:D tho sadly they seem dont have many color variant to match my racket.

15. speCulatius

I'm through the first one now, tackiness degreased with not use (it always does). It's gonna be hard to make a direct comparison, because conditions are always changing, but I played quite a lot with that grip and it held up fine until I had a 90 minutes (a little more, but less than two hours before I switched rackets) session with drills when the temperatures were getting warmer.
    I put the grip through a stress test. No switching rackets, a shirt without sleeves and no wristband... singles drills. Doesn't get much worse than that if the temperature doesn't rise (it was still below 30° ok that day... around 25, I think).
    Ihad no issues with the grip getting slippery.
    A few days later (it was a little more humid), I had to switch rackets with towel grips on them after around one hour... just to put this into perspective.

It's not a verdict yet, I still will do the comparison of the grips above, but it's a strong indication that I'll get along with it well and I still think it's superior to black Supergraps - at least when you're looking for a PU grip that can handle sweat.

16. speCulatius

First impression gripping and right after that...

The Spieler overgrips are in a different category, feels cheaper, less tacky than all others, for the following points, I ignore it.

Initially, the ADIDAS overgrips feel a little less tacky than the Yonex Supergraps (white and yellow). The problem I had with Supergraps in the past was when sweat is involved though... yesterday, I played for more than two hours with one racket, gripped with the Wucht P5 grip, no be problems at all, that was not possible with Supergraps (mostly black) in the past.

PSX_20200804_150205.jpg

The Kalkül A5 grip feels like it preserves the shape of the wood the best, which is suprising, since the Überschall F5 grip is thinner.

The Wucht P5 grip feels the most cushioned, which is no surprise, because it's the thickest of them.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Darn it, those are really nicely clean gripped rackets! :)

Question: The RKEP G10 tends to slip and move a lot on that extra-shiny smooth P8 buttcap. Is that better with the Adidas grips or do you have some tape applied on the buttcap to prevent the slipping?

18. speCulatius

Thanks.

Do you mean when gripping the racket or when playing?
    When gripping, I can see that, but I never had any issues when playing. I do have electrical on the wood and it goes roughly halfway up the buttcap, maybe that's all the difference. I feel like the grips stick rather well to themselves, too, but I never tried any RKEP grip.

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Both actually. It starts slowly slipping down the buttcap over time. I'll try to put on some electrical tape next time and see if that makes any change. Never had the issue with the RKEP grip on any other racket but the P8 is the first racket I know that has this glossy polished surface on the buttcap.

20. speCulatius

So.... It's time to write down a few words to sum it all up.

First of all, the white and yellow supergraps are much much better than the black. Really good grips. For the Adidas grips, I'll try to sort it a bit, starting with...

Überschall F5
    The thinnes grip Adidas offers. I do enjoy this, probably because it is thin. It does get slippy with sweat though, so without a wrist band, it's no option for me. For others, looking for a thin grip (noticeably thinner than supergrap, even if not a by a lot), this might be a nice choice.

Kalkül A5
    Unfortunately it gets slippy really quickly with some sweat. I had that with some Li Ning grip before. It feels roughly the same thickness as supergrap, but conserves the shape of the handle better, really allowing me to feel the edges of the wood I liked that a lot, but being somebody who sweats a lot, this is not for me. It seems to be the most durable though (getting dirty before it dissolves) and yes, I sometimes eat through a grip in one session)

Wucht P5
    This is the best Adidas grip for me, and probably the best grip I've tried until now. It does feel a bit thicker than supergrap, but softness and initial tackiness is at least similar. I can play with it longer before the handle slips due to sweat though, and it is usable again much quicker. That does come at the expense of a slightly thicker grip, but if I get to choose between the Wucht grip and (white or yellow) Supergrap, I'll chose the Wucht.

Spieler
    Well, I didn't pay attention much to this one, I didn't use it as much as the others. Solid, boring, nothing special, nothing that stands out. Cannot say anything else, at least for the moment.

Twatical, endFX and DuckFeet like this.