Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes, they do, when the issue has to do with limits, ownership, control and/or obligation... which you can say is most issues in life. if push comes to shove it's usually the final factor used to determine or quantify an outcome. in this case i'm trying to pre-empt the possibility of 'where's my momo thread' fans becoming hostile. it's nowhere near that here and i'm sure it will never get to that. i tend to be a cut-to-the-worse-case-scenario kinda guy.
    i've done both, which is why i connect some of the similarities: someone provides a service, someone uses the service. it is also why i tend to defend message board admins & mods far earlier than nec'y. haven't we all seen message boards devolve into complete crap over the most inane issues.
    you are correct, not one single user has demanded and in no way am i saying any one single person has. but what might 20 different users each asking the ?'n once, sans malice and not knowing the ?'n has been asked before, start to look or feel like from the admin's or mod's point of view? hopefully they aren't getting a ton of pm's about it either.

if i were still in the hosting/admin side the young impatient 1995 version of samkool would say 'if you don't like how i run this place feel free to start your own' or i wouldn't respond at all and observe which people know how to deal with adversity vs. those that go off the rails, bwahahahahaha!

#1881 samkool, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Justin L and LenaicM like this.
  2. pali.69

pali.69 New Member

This is exactly my point.
    No one is pushing the admins to do anything and no one is demanding anything.
    I fully understand that an endeavor like recovering a lost database takes time - therefore I merely asked for an update, roughly a month since the last query.
    However, I think it is fair to say that the decent / the right thing to do here would be to attempt to recover the lost thread, purely out of respect to the people who spent countless hours compiling posts.

I also understand @samkool's points such as the admins on this forum have normal full time jobs and work on this forum as a hobby of sorts, without any compensation.
    However, this also applies to the people who post and invest their time to share the information with others.
    It is the posters' work which keeps this web page relevant and which ensures clicks and web page visits keep coming in.
    Without the posters' work, the web-page loses clicks / visits and thereby add revenue.

Which would now bring me to the money topic brought up in the posts above me - but I don't desire to discuss this.

My point is that the work of contributors like @kurako is invaluable to web-pages like these.
    Their work keeps the web-page alive.
    Therefore, in my opinion, the right / decent thing to do would be to attempt to recover the original thread.
    And this is also the main reason why I asked about a status update.

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

- Ads revenues?

I'm not sure the forum works this way, may be the admins even pour their personal money in from times to times. I'm not sure but I highly doubt there are any significant revenues. Plus some admins work in the healthcare industry and given the current global health crisis it is no wonder they might be busier than usual.

- No one is pushing the admins to do anything?

Sometimes silence says a lot. The whole "we won't post until the new thread is back" is a sort of passive pressure on the mods of the forum. Also some of the messages above have clearly put a pressure on the admins with what I find a very entitled way of thinking.

The forum is free yet is based and relies on the community, some users do give a lot, including translation of players' interview. So do the admins with other forms of work with the whole forum, not only one thread. It might be more work that we even imagine as we simply don't know the exact nature of the admins' task on here. It's totally fine to ask though but I think @samkool answered because he saw through some messages. I doubt his answer were for the mere fact of asking where the recovery is at.

I do hope the thread can be recovered but in the meanwhile, there is a new thread. Just like KM few years back, his thread is unfairly challenged, but his new thread will come back to life when some new content is available, with former users or new ones.

Justin L and akatsuki2104 like this.
  4. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    I'm shure @Cheung and @kwun are working hard to recreate the KM thread. There is no other way to bring it back at least on this site, there is no other action that will restore contributor's trust to this resource. Not loose rhetoric nor this technical thread will be able to fix this mess.

5. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Finally, he's out.

As I remember, in 2018 Nishimoto lost WTF ticket just because Tonami club didn't send him to India (while Unisys do this and Taka/Matsu and Endo/Watanabe just step on court in India to get more accumulated points and ensure that they will attend WTF.)

Environment change, you will have something new. Fight and fly to the new sky.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/hir...5zIJo1dqItdXL3HbQ2K_nzCyOmOxMdvXWLBDTX6KmqoNw

6. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

What's your take on him joining a women's team? You seem happy.

7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I've waited for it for a long time.
    As I said, environment change, you will get something new. I don't think Nishimoto can improve further if he choose to stay in Tonami club.

Moreover, he said in the news that he will fight for Olympic ticket, that is the best point that I can see. (the enthusiasm/desire from him).

I believe he will improve in new club, I am sure he have a plan to do it. 100% .

samkool likes this.
  8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

It would be great to receive an update on the status of the Momota thread. Has there been any progress?

-------

Everyone is entitled to their own philosophy with regard to this issue, and my tuppence-worth goes as follows:

Personally, I don’t subscribe to the notion that losing websites/information, etc., is an everyday occurrence that should be accepted as an inevitable part of life. Nowadays, lost data is expected to be retrievable. Here, the tacit understanding is that web administrators will make the utmost effort to resolve a mishap when it occurs. This is not an act of charity on their part; in order to avoid damage to the reputation of the site, it is actually in their best interests to do so.

It goes without saying that, where this trust is firmly established, contributors will be productive because they can rest assured that work in which they have invested time and effort is not wasted. And administrators, for their part, will benefit from a wider readership, active participation, and an enhanced standing in the given sector of the market.

Conversely, it is also easy to imagine what happens when this trust lost. ‘Temporary threads’ fill up, but with many former contributors absenting themselves, discussion suffers, often becoming one-dimensional.

For example, whilst Momota may have benefitted physically from the postponement of the Olympics, how does this square with the wider picture? What, with Nishimoto Kenta now affiliated to the Gifu Badminton Association (!?), without a sponsor or corporate team; with American Vape collapsing financially, resulting in Fukushima/Hirota’s affiliation to the newly-formed Marusugi Bluvic (just last week Bluvic was refused admission to the S/J League, which means that Marusugi Ltd. now has a lame duck on its hands); with the outright cancellation of the S/J League tournament in 2020-2021; with the repeated postponement of the national training camp, because more than half of National Team A players are refusing to attend, etc., etc. ...The very foundations of Bird Japan are shaking. Momota is putting on a brave face, but he hasn’t had the chance to practice with the national team since his accident; and with all this “noise”, keeping focused, motivated, and match-fit has got to be an issue.

But enough of that.

Momota’s ‘temporary thread’, I sincerely hope, will live up to its label and enjoy a very short lifespan. For a variety of reasons, it is imperative that priority be given to restoring the original thread: As a sign of respect for the player himself; as a sign of respect for the thousands of contributors and moderators who have worked on building the thread since 2012; and for the sake of ‘trust’ in this Forum.

If there are technical or monetary issues, then please reach out. People may be able to help.

BeeKi, aZn_Popcorn, KhoaHa and 2 others like this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    well, it is. maybe not in the part of the internet you use, but, in a world of unregulated information put up by unknown people and/or unknown entities how can there be a reasonable expectation of all information remaining accessible in perpetuity? the fate of each site is in the hands of whoever controls it.
    sure, why wouldn't it be? the technology is there. but being retrievable is vastly different than being retrieved.
    you're not wrong, and i'm sure he will. however, there is also a tacit understanding that we are participating at our own risk, of our own free will and w/out any guarantees.

if it takes another month to retrieve, no problem. if it takes 6 months, no problem. if it takes another year, no problem. if it never comes back, no problem. why? cuz if i have something to say, ask or share about momota i'm gonna say/ask/share it in whatever thread momota info is currently happening. i don't care what the name of the thread is. if there isn't one i'll make one. isn't that how every thread gets started for a new player/racket/tournament/subject?
    there are 157,444 threads on this site. if 1 gets lost along the way i'm not sure how anyone could quantify the damage to the site. since i'm one of the many members here that participates in trafficking momota info, that means i'm participating in 0.000000635% of this site. yikes, i always felt i was waaay more important than that! :D
    how about 'kento momota (continued)'...?
    i don't think he cares.
    does he know we exist?
    i'm a big fan of his and i guarantee he has no idea who i am.
    even though i am personally one of those contributors i tend to avoid overstating the importance of my contributions to just 1 out of the 157,444 threads in existence.
    i've been on/off/on/off this site since 2004. 'trust' is the least of my concerns.

@Cunning Linguist - the above dialog contains no mention of $ and is also gluten free.

did anyone notice the Olympics 2016 - RIO thread is also gone?

kidding.

but what if it was?

#1889 samkool, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    s_mair, mistable, LenaicM and 2 others like this.
  10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    he wasn't training w/ the nat'l team while under suspension either... and i'm guessing the 'noise' during that time was much more unforgiving.

every team worldwide is dealing with what is in front of them at the moment. there will be ample time for everyone to prepare for tokyo '2020'. none of the top contenders are sitting on their hands. they are doing whatever they can with whatever they have to stay sharp. isn't that what professionals do?

#1890 samkool, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    LenaicM and Baddie lover like this.
  11. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    I believe the only thing we should discuss about KM thread is: the state of the thread data in database (in technical details) and who can do what to restore it. All other discussions are just a psychoterapy to accept the loss. Personally I do not need it. I do not want accept what SHOULD be changed. We just need @kwun and @Cheung to give us a status update.

12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

You need Cheung and Kwun to give you an update?

I sent a message to Cheung 3 weeks ago to ask how was he, given he was not seen on the forum for a while. To this day he has been absent from the forum. I actually hope he is ok.

Hint : he works in the healthcare industry. Second hint: there is a global pandemic happening at the moment. I don't think he is more needed in the restoration of one thread on a free to use badminton forum than at the hospital he works at. Just saying.

13. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    Thank you! I'm glad you got it right. I just need a status update whenever it will be possible.

14. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

so much racket, pardon the pun, about a missing thread. there is a pandemic and people are whining about a missing thread in a badminton forum. at least though we get to see the true personalitlies of some of these regular posters.

LenaicM likes this.
  15. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    There are lots of places in Internet where this pandemic could be discussed. This place is for other discussions and the hottest topic is the loss of the very beloved thread, not the pandemic.

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Why does the ambiance on here is suddenly so similar to the one of the former KM thread? :eek:

#1896 LenaicM, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Baddie lover likes this.
  17. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Time to evacuate ?

samkool and LenaicM like this.
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Should we have another temporary thread for Badminton in Japan?:p

stanleyfm, samkool and LenaicM like this.
  19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

20. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    ))))
    At least we could attract attention of mods!