The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

0:24 - commit die.

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

So... last week, I got an Arcsaber 11, which was bought around a year ago, I think, by somebody who normally has them strung not by me. The other stringer is very experienced and uses the far superior machine (Yonex ES5 Protech). I saw some signs of sinking, that did not surprise me on that racket, but it did surprise me to see it on a rather young racket.
    PSX_20200617_124540.jpg
    It looked worse in reality than in that picture.

This is not the stringing horror, yet...

Yesterday, I got the other racket.
    PSX_20200617_124605.jpg
    It sunk through and he tried to fix it with pieces of strings.... and glue. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what he did afterwards, because that racket looks like it's gone for good. If you see a way to give it another (last) stringjob, let me know!

So I'd like to know if that can be a stringing mistake (dropping the weight on a drop weight machine cannot be it), or if that points to something else. The reason I included the first picture is, that both rackets show this around the same grommet. They were bought at the same time, so it's likely it's the same batch.

thyrif and s_mair like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That thing is dead and gone... let it rest in piece...

If I explained that situation to one of our quality guys, I know what he would say. It all looks like a production mistake. Either they messed up the carbon wrapping in that area of the frame or they had issues during the "baking process" so that the resin didn't fully harden through. Or it was just bad luck. Twice.

Anyways, I give him some extra credicts for the creative fix.

ucantseeme and speCulatius like this.
  4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    What was the tension? The sinking is related to it. I have seen Arc11s which never exceed 10.5kg and had sinking issues after around 1.5 years.

speCulatius likes this.
  5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I can only say from experience that I usually sink arcsabers within 6 months tops but I do aerosonic at 28lbs. I don't know why they insist on continuing with the soft carbon and grommets tbh. If they weren't so cheap here I wouldn't bother buying them used. But that racket is definitely done for good. 0

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

speCulatius likes this.
  6. speCulatius

Tension was 11.5 kp, I think. Nanogy 99.

Yeah, seems that way. I think it's a little suspect, that is the same hole on both rackets.

7. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    A U grommet + 2 component epoxy could work but would likely be a stringing horror by itself.

speCulatius likes this.
  8. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

9. speCulatius

Everything you see there is glued together... the frame (or what's left of it), the pieces of strings, the grommets...
    That's even softer than those string pieces.

The only option would be to clean it up and then try to support it and that's what @endFX suggested. Just need to see if it's easy enough to clean it up and if it's worth it. It's not gonna last much longer anyway.

10. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Put the scrapped of thick replacement grip(you need to cut it that fit) on top of the pieces of strings. Hopefully it will slow down the damage.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

11. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Or you buy this rubber protection and put on top of the pieces of strings.[​IMG]

endFX likes this.
  12. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    This is one the example of soft material racket. I changed some of the grommets and replaced them using li-ning thick grommet. The result is still the same. Can't prevent the frame damage. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I also have those rubbers, only the smaller ones. They don't work if the area between grommets is bigger than the rubber. They stretch out and don't cover the edge of the grommet hole anymore. It will dampen the feeling tho. The more rubbers you use, the more dead the strings will feel. After I lost 2 AT900Ps because of sinking problems I started to use these rubbers as a precaution. As well as a cut up strip of an old MP99 glued between grommets, as you can see on the 1st pic. That really works well! Just a bit messy, and replacing those grommets becomes a pain, if not impossible.

Long time ago I came across this clip:

I wanted to try it on an old Kason TSF 98 Ti (2ns pic). I once strung it with BG65 @ 31 lbs and between B5-6 it got a big tear. Frame was still in shape, but I hardly used it anymore. It laid around for years. So I put 3 pieces of string on each side and restrung it. Seems the racket is extremely weak at B5-6. The tear became a big crack, at B5-6 on the other side it got a big dent and around the crack the frame deformed. The rest of the frame holds up very well.

I tried this trick on an old MP99 too. That racket had a crack at 12 o'clock on the inside of the frame. Not from grommet to grommet, but from side to side. Nicely straight. The racket held it on for almost a year with several restrings with BG80 @ 32/33 lbs. Then after a big smash it collapsed. However, I finally got to play with my MP99 again, which I played with long, long time ago and it felt so good! Great racket! Not very strong frames tho. I had 6 in total over the years. Some of them easily broke at 10/2 o'clock.

Bottom line: This trick with the string works quite well to prolong the life of your racket. If you string for yourself, just give it a try. Don't do it for others, so you can still ask money for a stringjob. Unless they agree, ofcourse.

Attached Files:

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    3d print a bridge and will be stronger and look much neater too.

kakinami likes this.
  15. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

So I purchased a superstringer s90 about 10 months ago and less than a year of use maybe ~40-50 rackets this happened. I emailed tennisman and haven’t received a reply. Any ideas how or where I can get replacement piece?

Attached Files:

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That’s not stringing horror, that’s a simple warranty issue. Just wait for the answer from @Tennisman and I’m sure he will arrange to send you some replacement parts.

17. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

Haha ok I hope you’re right!

18. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

Hope he gets back to you soon.

My previous experience with him however wasn't so good when it came to inquiring about the usage of spare parts that came with the stringing machine ( bought from him ). Emailed a few times but got no response at all.

ucantseeme likes this.
  19. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

Yea I haven’t gotten any response. Sent him PM from here and emailed him twice now from tennisman.de site

ucantseeme likes this.
  20. nameisTin

nameisTin Regular Member

This made me wake my neighbors up at night.
    I can’t make out what’s wrong at first and then it hit me

decoy and thyrif like this.