Overcoming Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by bad_noob, Jun 15, 2020.

1. bad_noob

bad_noob New Member

Question starts *

I'm a begginer and started playing recently (1 month). Currently I'm not playing under any coach but with friends.

In last few days I've developed following

thumb sprain
    ankle pain
    elbow and forearm pain
    knee discomfort

although I've not injured myself much and currently resting from last few days

and the lessons which I learned from this experience is:

importance of warm up and cool down
    Rome was not built in a day (i.e to learn slowly instead of pushing till extreme at starting)

* from here
    Can you please give me some advice from your past experience. Sitting whole day is so frustrating. If I play without healing my injuries may get worse. Do you all moved from this phase or I'm unlucky. Please give your valuable suggestions I love to read them all.

Thankyou very much.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

1. Whether you are sporty are not, starting a new sport always trigger the use of new chain of muscles, ligaments and joints. Expect some after sessions pain for a little while.

2. What's your current BMI? When I started badminton I was 9 extra kilos that I am today, 3 years ago. I developed shin split for the first 6 months which was, I believe, linked to my "overweight". I wasn't even really overweight standing at 1.83m for 85 kg but today, at 76 kgs, my shin split never appeared again, even when running.

3. Which help me introduce body preparation. If you want to avoid injuries and pain after sessions:
    - warm up with the right exercices before holding a racket (10/15 mins) and on court with shadow exercices for a good 10 minutes too.
    - cool down after the session for 10 minutes, I do yoga for back issues otherwise my back is painful the next day.
    - targeted muscles reinforcement at home or the gym to help prevent injuries in the overused areas of the body for badminton. Think ankles, rotator cuffs, shoulder blades, etc.

4. And last not but not least, learn to use the right footwork and the right technique not to injure yourself on the long term. Get some badminton shoes with a small offset and a rounded edge of the outer sole to roll the foot properly (not your ankle) on court.

5. Have fun :)

regularAl, ucantseeme and bad_noob like this.
  3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Thought I have done sport all my life and getting into badminton again while going to the gym 3x times a week, I experienced a pretty nice journey of pain during the next months.

Most pain will come from too much strain and your body will need time to adapt, this will not happen in 2 weeks. Best to observe the pain and how it develops over time. If you have a certain pain over multiple sessions (especially if it intensifies from session to session), you need be really careful to avoid chronical pain (e.g. chronic golfer elbow/tennis arm is not funny). Try to analyse your pain and think about what could help to lessen it, some tips:
    - if uncertain, check out an expert (aka doc)
    - reduce load
    - take a break
    - check for correct technique (get a coach or atleast an experienced player who could review your playstyle)
    - check equipment (especially shoes/shoe insoles)

4. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Don't overtrain. Just like in any sports, rest days are very important. Even if you feel fit, your body might actually feel otherwise. Try to implement rest days into your schedule. This doesn't mean you don't do anything. But it means you do some other workouts with easy effort for your body to recover.

It can be difficult to know how much rest you need before you actually get injured. I am currently having plantar fasciitis due to overtraining. For the past month since the ease of COVID lockdown, I do different kinds of run 4 times a week (interval, easy run, long run, tempo run), play badminton 5-6 hours a week, and do weight training. I don't feel tired or any particular need for rest days, but my injuries are obvious signs that my body can't recover fast enough for the increased work load.

So my advice would be take it easy and force yourself to have rest days even if you don't feel like it. It is very important especially when you are just starting or increasing the amount of your workout.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    - see a doctor or physio because most people are not.