What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'd like to string my own rackets especially since I use higher tensions.

Do I have time? Well I can always make a bit of extra time but I'm not sure I want it to be stringing, except if it is for myself only so it wouldn't be to make any profit even on the long term, which is ok. Now depending of where I live in September I will make a decision regarding this issue. If a good stringer is available nearby I won't invest time in learning how to string.

speCulatius, thyrif and s_mair like this.
  2. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Learning how to string looks like an impossible task before you start, and a walk in the park after your first 50 string jobs. If you can find decent price on a decent machine and have money for it, I'd say, do it, you wont regret it.

Covid situation where i live ~ until today still able to play badminton three times a week (still zero cases, thank god) hopefully it stays that way

LenaicM likes this.
  3. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

The Swedish badminton association continues to have all the competitions to august canceled.

4. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

A number of venues in Sydney are opening today, but with restrictions on numbers. I don't live there. They are saying that tournaments will resume in July.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    My club decided to open the halls on 15th of june. We are allowed to play even doubles without any restrictions. There will be 3 rules:

1) seperate entrance and exit, nobody enters before the other groups are finished and left the hall (non-badminton and junior badminton groups)

2) wearing a mask on the parking area and infront of the hall, during entrance up to the bench. Everything else without

3) benches are marked to maintain 2m distance to rest or wait

I have a bit of mixed feelings and I'm not the only one. The DOSB recommend something much more secure. I will stick to train one on one with a fixed sparrings partner on a whole court first and will play maybe the same pair a whole night to minimize contacts.

sokol250 and s_mair like this.
  6. sokol250

sokol250 Regular Member

business development
    Hi guys! In Moscow, from June 9, very suddenly Moscow Gov removed the main restrictions. It was allowed to play in parks. Since June 23, it is allowed to play in sport halls. However, there are absolutely no clear and intelligible instructions on how to do this, so I plan not to go for at least a month, this is dangerous. In addition, on June 8, the weather was good and in the last game I pulled my foot and now the treatment is at least until July.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Update: I was today there and was shocked. Everything like Corona never exist, just without handshakes. I was the only one at the parking area with a mask. Entrance and Exit over a floor of 1,5 width. "ucantseeme, you don't need to wear a mask." somebody shouted. smh

My mixed partner was the second person with a mask. No disinfection, no marked shuttle, guests (without membership) came who were not listed/registered to prevent trouble with the main club. "You don't cough, it's okay" said the organizer. smh.

My mixed partner and I stuck together with various drills of somebody cover more area while the other cover less area to train specific scenarios for our game. Club mates made fun about our personal restrictions. People played doubles like before. Contacts (who were on court together) weren't tracked. Some people tried to convince us to play doubles because there is a net between us. I'm shocked how relaxed the first time since 3 month was organized. I can understand that people have other opinions, but their personal opinions as chairmen shouldn't influence the rules. Only one person left immediately because his wife belong to the high risk group and he can accept this. Jokes were made about that. Now I know why I'm a misanthrope. The other club I play at is more careful.

#267 ucantseeme, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    sokol250, Baddie lover and thyrif like this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Very impressive example for the power of group dynamics and group pressure. You only need a handful of influencial participants who don't care about the rules and start to "motivate" the others to follow. Once the first start to follow -either if they truely think the same way or just don't want to stand out as the party pooper- the path is set. I'm glad that my club so far has shown to be very responsible - heck, we even had a detailed discussion if we should break the rule and switch partners during the one-on-one practise... which was rather reasonable since we were 5 people there last time.... :rolleyes:

But I have to say that I'm getting seriously concerned about what happens if there might be a second wave approaching after the summer. People will be completely careless again and swimming in a false confidence that they are controlling the virus. And looking at the usual tournaments around here - the setting has everything needed to become a super-spreading event. Indoors with little excange of air, people sweating and breathing heavily and then packed together on the stands where they keep their bags and stuff... will be interesting to see how many organisers will take the risk and hold their tournaments in case it will be allowed again anyways.

And seriously, I have decided for myself already that skipping the club league matches will be the first measure for me in case the numbers are just remotely looking to be worsening again. To me, that is not worth only the slightest bit of extra risk.

flyingcords and sokol250 like this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The guy who left, my mixed partner and I were the party pooper. We are confident enough to resist. Others are not as strong. I think with five people who maintain the distance you still have less contacts, than playing doubles. As larger the club is and more people play doubles the more contacts with less distance you will get. I don't want to stay at home for 2 weeks in my own garbage, because the craving and group pressure to play like before was stronger.

I'm very happy that our club opens the doors, but I think it would be responsible to threat it with respect and small steps to fade in instead of doing the same like before without handshakes. That is the same state of Februar that handshakes should be avoided.

At your location are tournaments? Every tournament I registered for was canceled without any alternative date. They all skip this year. At the moment I will stick to drills for minimum 3 weeks to observe the development. And will fade in to play a fixed pair. I'm happy about the chance to play and want to keep it with care.

Good point. I also said that I won't play. Regardless what happen. The dates are too close and I don't feel in shape to perform well, beside the risks.

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Some of them scheduled for fall and winter haven't been officially cancelled yet, so it looks like they are waiting to see how thing are evolving. The tournament that our club is hosting is already cancelled.

Personally, I'm 100% happy about the low number of participants. Playing singles only is also the perfect (and painful) way to get back in shape. And to evaluate a new racket... :)

ucantseeme likes this.
  11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I'm not the singles guy. Too much clears for me to have fun. :D I also got really tired to cover a whole doubles court, while my partner just cover a the half side of a doubles court.

That are actually additional two of my favorite drills beside 3 vs 1 corner. :)

12. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Same thing here. In one group everyone was quite careful, some even asked if they have to wear masks on court.
    Next group (same club, same rules that you have to sign) it was business as usual, nobody seemed to give a sh*t.
    It's hard to not get dragged along and then appear as the naysayer.
    If everything around you feels as before the virus, it's even easier to 'accidently' do wrong/shady things.
    I'm just happy that we can play again and more focus on singles is something I wanted anyway.
    But now that it's only singles, I start to miss doubles.:rolleyes:

sokol250, ucantseeme and s_mair like this.
  13. lurker

lurker Regular Member

What's 'marked shuttles' for?

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    To prevent others from touching shuttles of anybody else. Normally the used shuttles get donated for training/feeding or the junior players, but due restrictions it is not allowed. If you play singles you should only serve with your own shuttle, so you only touch your own shuttles. Other shuttles should be scooped from the floor and passed over. Other option is to date the usage of the shuttles to keep them for a while to donate them two weeks later when they are not contagious.

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Update from yesterday:

I sticked together with my partner to do various drills, boxgames and focused on explosive footwork to the around the head corner to play various options even under pressure to all areas as main topic.

Now it was announced that everybody should wear a mask if he/she leave the court or enter the hall. While a bunch of people accepted some still remain not to wear a mask. For reference for the germans here: Güterloh is not far away. Some people stay away because of the news from yesterday.

There was also joking, disrespectful remarks and gibe that we don't mix after one set with the others to play doubles by a small group of persons. I belong to the high risk group, I do the care for an old person who belong to the high risk group, the daughter of my partner also belong to the high risk group. I'm disgusted how shitty people can be and can't accept that others need different security needs. This kills every fun during the restrictions. We don't influence or disturb anybody. Hopefully your clubs and members do better?!

sokol250 likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

so far, so good. Last practise, again 5 participants and all were following the rules. Not sure if it is a local thing, but I feel like people around here everywhere still seem to be pretty cautious, even if the infection numbers had been zero in our district in the past 2 weeks. Hope this will stay that way.
    I ended up with a full 90 minutes of singles (we played with the new 5 x 11 system and ended up loving it by the way) and felt like dead meat afterwards. So it's all good.

#276 s_mair, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    ucantseeme likes this.
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Maybe the education level of your participants is higher or the right people have somthing to say. :D Or the distance to tirol and italy influence the caution. ;)

Did you also feel the push of the 5 x 11 system? My experience with it is that you don't have so many up and downs in a set and keep the concentration and focus better for a higher ratio of a set due the smaller distance to reach and the smaller possible distance in the lead?

s_mair likes this.
  18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I am 100% sure that this has got something to do with it.

Matches my impression completely. The games are missing that "dead zone" between points 8 to 16, you can finish off a game faster and have your focus already fixed on a new one. Very entertaining and in fact perfect for me, since I'm known as Mister "make a 17-12 lead become 18-18 within seconds". And it's always around points 16 to 18 when I'm losing focus and drift into a temporary low.

Also, we had a number of games going into setting and ending with scores like 13-11 and above which made the games at least evenly thrilling than before. So hit me, but I'm 100% happy with that scoring as of now. We haven't seen any downsides or complaints whatsoever.

#278 s_mair, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    thyrif and ucantseeme like this.
  19. Joran

Joran Regular Member

I am going on court tomorrow for singles for 2 hours after a 3 month break.
    I have been working out 3 times a week, doing soft sand sprints, running, core stability and leg workouts.
    U guys have any tips for me returning to court? I do think i am pretty fit though

ucantseeme likes this.
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just have fun, that’s all.

sokol250 likes this.