Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

We do net shots all of the time I just do not show them in my highlight clips.

As far as the jump smash I wasn’t taught by anyone and as you can see my form is far from good. I lack some coordination with the straitening of my legs timing with the shot and and still not lots of practices
    Jonathan from swift badminton has helped me a lot and so has watching Korean tutorial videos.

I tried jumping almost right away when I started badminton even though that was not the correct time to do them. But my body likes jumping off two legs compared to one as growing up I played a lot of basketball and always was a good two foot jumper. I trained myself to a 35 inch running two footed jump. And I was never good at jumping off one leg in basketball(left leg) and I’m even worse at jumping off one leg for badminton ( right leg ) haha

There is only one club in my area and from the regulars that play I would say there are at least 15 players that come regularly that are better than me. I think I’ll eventually surpass many of them but then there are others who have been trained properly and played since they were kids that I’ll never surpass

ralphz likes this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

One of my games from the other night. I feel myself getting better

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Your smash technique is improving in consistency.

Mason likes this.
  4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Finally started do you some footwork training. KC badminton put out some cool videos. I have one of his drills a shot
    You put three shuttle in both front and side corners, then you grab them and go to the rear court and then throw. I did some warmup then 3 rounds of those drills then some wall shots

Cheung likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

More training !

viver likes this.
  6. viver

viver Regular Member

Hello, I have watched some of the videos you posted about your progression in badminton. Really impressed with your commitment and efforts put into the badminton. Keep up the good work.

Mason likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I have been doing a lot of shadow strokes in my garage these last 2 months. Trying to improve on my jump smash form. I think I see some progress here. I also seem to be more relaxed in my swing
    Any feedback would be appreciated

9. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Don't worry about jumping high. It's amateur level so just get the timing and transfer of power better. Your form looks good. Would say you should push off a little harder on the footwork vids.

And don't think you can't pass anyone here. The kids who have been training from young aren't unbeatable as usually they will lack the game reading skills. I think you're ready to play a tournament and can see how it goes from there.

Mason likes this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback ! when you say “push off a little harder “ what are you referring to exactly ?

11. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

your footwork, for your first step from the middle, you should really try to push off (mostly your right leg).

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Gotcha, I have an old ankle injury on my right leg that had been a huge problem. I lack range of motion in that ankle thus my body avoids loading it. It also is very unstable which causing my body to avoid loading my right leg properly. Looking back over my old videos, me not loading my right leg has been a huge problem. I finally realize that it is one of the main issues contributing to me not using my kinetic chain properly but now I know I need to work on it. I’m practicing lots of small movements and jumps on my right leg and I’ve noticed some good Improvement so far. Thanks for the feedback.
    Just to give you an example of how bad it is, I can’t even do a one legged hop on my right leg ...

13. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Oh, if you are injured, don't jump smash at all. It's probably better to do the 'lazy' footwork and just take big strides. Drives and pushes and net may be a bit too advanced, but you can focus on those while you're healing up.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I’m not injured per say, I twisted my ankle in 2006 playing basketball and I never rehabbed it properly so It lacks proper range of motion

15. surge

surge Regular Member

hi mason, i am really impressed and based on your dedication, definitely see improvement since your 1st post till now!

firstly, forget about the jump smash. there are alot of other things that can help the game than a jump smash. (jump smashes requires you to recover fast for the next shot)
    in general, you have been playing with your arm. your torso, shoulder strength hasnt been used much yet. which explains why your arm is tensed as it may seem to you the logical way to generate more power is more arm strength..resulting tighter and tense arm.
    the only time the racket is grip tight is during the impact with the shuttle.
    it sounds counter intuitive but keep your hand loose, and swing with your waist--shoulder--forearm rotation than grip from pronation(grip racket for final impact). aim for 1 impact point only and thats when you grip the racket. see if it gives you a faster swing.

the focus is to get a fast swing, not powerful swing. also, on occassions when you did use you torso, you finished the shot with body momentum forward to net due to the body turn, which helps you to return adn get ready for the next shot. more often thou after hitting your body momentum is still going back, causing lost of balace plus ineffiency in movement as more time/strength need to get back in place(losing both time and strength)

looking at your videos, there are alot more things that you can do to elevate your game. no need for jump smash. correct your swing and you will have faster shots and steeper angle. learn to aim your smash than just more powerful. it takes a very very powerful smash to do a one kill. the same can be achieve by aiming your smashes than hitting harder.

#1035 surge, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  16. surge

surge Regular Member

returning to base is just as important. most of the practice showed you leaving base and then looking at the cone and walking back to base.
    train your mind first before your body. meaning take smaller steps to do the 4 direction shot drill on your feet only. make sure its smooth both going out and coming back. you can even do it seated while watching TV:
    split step---footwork out then return. once you can 'tapdance' your footwork' without even thinking abt it, all you need to do is increase the stride of each steps.
    also when practising, make sure you tap and go with each step, dont let your bodyweight sink to you toes( at most your thighs) before next step, if the weight goes to your toes, you lose momentum ( imagine your upper body as a ball and your lower body is catching and throwing/bouncing it forward)but if it sinks, below your thighs, more energy is needed for the same job.=low efficiency in movement.

Mason likes this.
  17. surge

surge Regular Member

on footwork,
    the last step approaching the shuttle, you can get 1/2 step moee with the push using your left calf (notice your rleft foot is usually flat to the ground. meaning you did push with your calf for the final 1/2 step (which allows you to lunge foward). use the left calf to push and throw yourself forward and right sheen to pull your right foot forward. you will get a much greater stride. (which is why your body is always high up, didnt open your stride enough)

on defense,
    you still need your split step when oppenent hits the shuttle to allow adjustment of body when smash is coming. dont just stand there and expect the shot to lend in front of you.

admire your dedication! keep up the good work!
    (if you ever visit singapore, please join me adn my friends for a game!)

#1037 surge, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Mason likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for all the tips and feedback!!

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I completely agree that the jump smash should not be something that I should be working on as I have bigger issues I need to fix. However when I play my games , I usually have a lot of energy left over after my games. Also I grew up playing basketball a lot and I’m used to jumping a lot. The way I look at it is , if I have the time and I can jump up and get a steeper angle on my smash and perhaps more power, then why not ? Also one of the reasons that I like badminton so much is because of the powerful and fast aspect of the game so there is a mental aspect to me that improving on the jump smash which helps me enjoy the sport more.

But I also realize on a practical level that I have other more important things to work on, better footwork and being more relaxed. which is my focus for 2020.

Thanks again for your feedback

20. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Having myself a background in volleyball, I can understand the tendencies to jump, thought I share the fear of getting an injury, considering that the benefit of a jump smash is quite small at the level I currently play at.

I although have the issue of too much energy left over when playing too many double games, so try to play a lot more singles. It will help you to burn your energy in a good way, help you with your footwork, your accuracy, your shot selection, awareness, tactical thinking etc. Doubles are extremely forgiving at your level, you will get away with low endurance, stamina, accuracy, tactical thinking, in singles this will be punished immediatly and forces you to adapt.

Mason likes this.