Covid-19 SIP Racket Stringing videos, let's learn together!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kakinami, May 5, 2020.

1. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

Never heard about a specific reason, but I guess that Yonex cannot be sure that other brands hold this style too without breaking.
    Some brands like Forza will break even with 1 up/1 down quite easily...

"Do all brands have very different stringing theories?"
    Could be. I've never seen some information about this Yonex style on their homepage so it seems to be an internal information. Maybe the Victor, Li Ning or whatever stringing team have their own style too.

"Do Yonex stringing team at a tournament treat other manufacturers rackets with the same yonex rules or do they do down/up when not specified?"
    No, Yonex style just for Yonex rackets. For other rackets 1 up/1 down as standard or whatever the player writes on the sheet.
    I have seen an indonesian player with 30/30 on his sheet.

thyrif likes this.
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a Yonex stringer will tell you that Yonex are different. In reality, they are all the same.

the 10% rule IMHO is garbage. it depends on the rigidity of the machine, every machine and stringer will have a different %.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I always had some chat with stringers at the YGO and they did 1lbs/0.5kg on the crosses during the venue as default in the past years. Also IIRC Kakinami told something about square and going back to 2lbs in the Team.

For myself I controlled since years my own racket in terms of shape and with 1lbs, which was my default they became narrow after some weeks. I had a customer who always wanted 2lbs on cross. His midlevel Dunlops, Gosen and low end Kawasaki came always narrow off the machine with loose suppurts.

In my beginning of stringing of tested 10% on cross. all supports became loose during the stringing process and needed a retightening. The shape was absurd narrow on a Yonex racket. The head looked like pills from Dr. Mario.

Nowadays I do square tension. I just use the knot function on the outer mains and the last cross. No prestretch. My racket come off with evenly pressure at the supports. I can't imagine that any Yonex machine require 10% for the shape like a Klippermate.

Dekkert and s_mair like this.
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    exactly the same observation. and thus what i said, it depends on the machine. whoever blindly advocate adding so and so tension doesn't know what they are talking about. or only been using one type of fancy machine and never experimented with different less capable machine types.

s_mair likes this.
  5. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I would also think that Yonex rackets are not that different from other brands, so you can apply any stringing technique to all or most brands.
    In the beginning I always did one up/one down (26 = 25/27). Later till now I always do square. I compared the feel of the stringbed and liked square more. I never checked the form of the frame. Maybe I will do that next time.

Normally I put 32 lbs square in my rackets with BG80. I still have some Aerobite Boost. I wanna try out the Yonex recommendations, but I'm not gonna put 35 lbs one the crosses (Aerosonic). Even 31/34 or 30/33 I'm not sure about it.
    - Afraid the string won't hold it.
    - Afraid the frame won't hold it, especially my Nanoflare 800.
    - Afraid for sinking problems. Ultra thin strings with extreme high tensions is asking for sinking problems.

kakinami and ucantseeme like this.
  6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    But wasn't the general impression at BC years ago, that rocksolid highend machines have stronger supports and maintain shape better? I remember pretty well the issues of your gamma with the bend rails under tension for the cross. IMO a case where I would think to maybe change my ratio. Did you?

Never forget what mighty Panda @DinkAlot said:

#66 ucantseeme, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Dekkert and s_mair like this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. I did a bunch of experiment on my own machine to figure out what is the ratio that gives best results. these days, for 23-26lbs, adding 1lb for the middle 14 crosses gives the best shape and playability.

adding 2lbs will squish the racket too much.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I also remember on AK's ES5Pro there is no need to add any tension for cross. the racket comes out perfect and plays well. probably because it is build like a tank.

kakinami likes this.
  9. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

String should hold the tension. But I was told to tension the Aerosonic/Aerobite at this high lbs with less speed of your motor (if you have an electronic machine). This will give less stress on the string.

Racket could be a problem. The Nanoflare 800 is not made for very high tensions. I know someone who plays the 800 with Aerosonic at around 14-15 kg. If the person just have a slight clash in doubles, the racket is gone. Happened already a few times.

#69 mokomima, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Matches exactly my observation on both the Superstringer and now the StringMaster machine. With added tension on the crosses, the side support were losing contact with the frame towards the end of the job. With square tensions it's perfectly fine. I've been observing and measuring the length of my rackets over time and there was literally nothing happening over the lifetime of the job. So once it started with 675 mm, it stayed there spot on. Which suggests me that nothing worth mentioning is happening to the head shape. I don't do any double pulls and don't increase the tension before the knot. Also no pre-stretch.

I also think it depends on how you mount racket. I tend to stretch it slightly (let's say 2-3 mm) with the main supports and then having the side supports tightened to a point at which the racket isn't visibly squashed but at which I can clearly feel a resistance "on the wheel". I had trouble in the beginning with the first jobs from the StringMaster coming out round'ish which I figured out was only because I was too hesitant to tighten the side supports properly. The one-knob adjustment just felt completely different which tricked me into thinking that they are way tighter than they actually were. So no matter which machine you have, the most important thing is to get to know it and to get familiar with its specialties.

Also, I always follow the tip from @Mark A to re-tighten the 6 o'clock support after pulling the first two mains in case there is a gap opening up (which happes every single time...).

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I disagree =P I do think there is a series of Yonex rackets that do need 10% and that is the Glanz series. That is the only racket I think does need the 10%, those are the only rackets that I find seem to round out. Otherwise yea I think most all rackets are the same =)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    You made me a little suspicious, so i measured two of my frames. On one racket, the string broke yesterday anyway.
    In length i have a difference of 0,3 mm and in the width i have a difference of 0,8 mm. And yes, the strung one is a little bit more narrow than the unstrung. But both under 1 mm.
    So i measured the top and bottom cross too. Result on the top: 0,4 mm less on the strung. Result on bottom: 0,2 mm less on the strung.
    The racket was strung 3 months ago (6.3.) and only played a few times with it.

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    With these results, I'm curious what was your measuring tool and if measuring points were exactly the same to justify such results? I think it wasn't via strain gauges?

14. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    I measured it with two slide gauges. I have a really big one and a normal one. All measurements where repeated several times.

IMG_7393.jpg

#74 Alex82, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    ckyew, kwun and kakinami like this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

[​IMG]

kakinami, thyrif and Alex82 like this.
  16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

What a beast!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I bought an extra long digital caliper... just for this purpose.... :D:D:D

18. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I did experiment last night. This is what I did:
    - Tension head = Wise 2086
    - String = Lining no. 1
    - Main tension = 28 lbs (constant pull)
    - Cross tension = 28 lbs (PS 10% pull)
    - Racket = Lining N7II

The ping sound is better than I normally do for 28 lbs (main is 28, cross is 29). I will try above experiment using PS 15% pull on cross.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Define „better“. Do you mean it pings higher?

20. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard

I read this before and always thought it is more of an exaggeration. Did you actually measure how much you stretch the frame or is this more a feeling? Because I feel that 3 (or even 2) mm are pretty extreme. I tend to stretch the frame too, just to make sure that the supports are tight, but I can’t bring myself to do more than 1 mm. The resistance from the frame and the visible deformation is just too much imo.

The problem I see is that the arched structure of the head is maybe more designed to resist force pulling it in and is weaker to force pushing it out, especially at the 12 o´clock position. However I then need to add 0.5/0.6 kg to the crosses to not get a round racket.

The theory for your way is that the racket would get round from stringing, so you mount it narrow to compensate? So you essentially string the Racket while it is deformed?

This also puzzles me. The rackethead is stretched 2-3 mm but still the 6 o´clock support comes loose?

I will check this next time I string but it seems unlikely, unless the side supports are really tight and therefore further elongating the racket.

I guess this is all fair since you get the right shape at the end and no rackets breaking on the machine so maybe I´m missing something…

I´m just trying to get a better understanding of how you people do it and find the right way for me. This thread has been quite useful so far.

Prestretch on the crosses only sounds promising, I will try that next.