Covid-19 SIP Racket Stringing videos, let's learn together!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kakinami, May 5, 2020.

1. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    I hate armortec grommets. I strung 23lbs on my AT700 Ltd dragon the grommets are sinking. Its very irritated I need to keep changing them.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

2. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I know what you both mean. It’s been a while since I strung the AT700s or 900s. It’s probably the frame and not necessarily the grommets.
    The frame is weaker around the edges of the grommet holes.

tjiew likes this.
  3. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Really? I love those Armortec t-grommets at the top and sides. They are really tough in my experience. The normal grommets at the bottom are nothing special.

With my AT500 I never had any signs of sinking problems. I did with my AT900P. Couldn't handle 33 lbs for long before it snapped during play. First I thought my string snapped. Then I saw the crack at 4 o'clock. A thin crack at the inside of the frame. But enough to warp the frame a bit. Literally two days before the Corona lockdown I bought a AT700 2nd gen. I hope it can handle 32 lbs.
    On some of my Victor SW35 rackets I put some of those rubbers in between grommets (they have eyes to put the grommets through) at 4-8 o'clock, but they dampen the feeling quite a bit and also the sound of the string.
    I even took the grommet strips of my broken MP99s, cut them in pieces and glued them between the grommets. Gets a bit messy, but does the job.

4. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

With my AT500 I never had any signs of sinking problems. I did with my AT900P. Couldn't handle 33 lbs for long before it snapped during play. First I thought my string snapped. Then I saw the crack at 4 o'clock. A thin crack at the inside of the frame. But enough to warp the frame a bit. Literally two days before the Corona lockdown I bought a AT700 2nd gen. I hope it can handle 32 lbs.
    On some of my Victor SW35 rackets I put some of those rubbers in between grommets (they have eyes to put the grommets through) at 4-8 o'clock, but they dampen the feeling quite a bit and also the sound of the string.
    I even took the grommet strips of my broken MP99s, cut them in pieces and glued them between the grommets. Gets a bit messy, but does the job.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 900P were famous for sinking. I remember mine sunk after a while and i was nowhere near your 33lbs at the time.
    I remember the 2nd gen 700s having marks around grommets at around 28lbs and higher.
    Good luck!!

5. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I always thought that a (Haribito) Around The World was a 1 piece and predominantly top down pattern, like the one from Kwun: Haribito Professional pattern. Well, you see I don't know much about 1 piece patterns, as I always do 2PTD. However, since most of you are quite certain about going bottom up to be the savest method, I might try that a few times now.

6. vkwok

vkwok Regular Member

Sharing my first video giving out The Haribito Standard, they are still some skills need to be focus more, hope you like my video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakinami likes this.
  7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

No shame! This is to help people learn different techniques from different stringers! I watch and learn from other stringers so any videos posted here are helpful sources for new and old stringers. I am sure many people appreciate all your efforts in making videos. Mine are just 1 take, watch me go, no explinations, go f*ck yourself, more shameless videos. Plus sometimes I am board at home twirling my thumbs, wondering what new or old Japanese drama am going to watch today because nobody is playing badminton around here. Thanks for the videos yours are not shameless! Mine are!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I know you have more! Please post! Share so everyone can learn!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. vkwok

vkwok Regular Member

Got another share for LN Stringing Pattern, is that only me addicted to those frequent beep sound and neat strings pattern? XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Different stringing question: Can anybody explain what it does when you skip a cross string at the bottom ala TTZ and Peter Gade (pre 2005)? And Gade only had one cross string after the skip and TTZ has two crosses after the skip.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Is it more aerodynamics? Or something else? Or maybe it's all in between the ears? ;)

11. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    I would say between ears :)

speCulatius likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

100% agreed.

13. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I agree too

14. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Conversation between Paul Stewart and Tim Willis on badminton stringing. Enjoy !

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @tjiew thanks for sharing. I'm a bit shocked about the 10% on the crosses and pulling the top 5 crosses at tensions as the mains. Any thoughts and opinion on it of the Yonex machine users? @kakinami @Alex82

16. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yes, very interesting! This would suggest the 10% is to get the racket back in the shape right off the start, and the last crosses are not needed anymore because it is already back in shape? He mentions they reduce the tension in the last 5 crosses to keep the racket head shape, it would seem it would be too narrow otherwise.

More points I found interesting:
    - always 10% crosses, if you have to round off, round up! (so 26 lbs asked tension would be 28.5 or 29 lbs cross)
    - last 5 crosses back to mains tension (no 10%)
    - they do put the last 5 crosses on high tension when customer specs 28lbs/30lbs for ex.
    - when prestretch is asked with 26 lbs, they do 25/27 with 10% prestretch
    - always double pull (pull together) the last two mains (reversed in yonex pattern), but with 10% extra (knot feature)
    - frame is weakest at the bottom and would break at the point of last mains (therefore double pull last mains and cross bottom up is better)
    - Almost only Danes ask for prestretch
    - Most yonex badminton stringers use Gudgeon Knot (see Kakinamis video on youtube)
    - Aerobite: reverse last three crosses to tie off at a cross string on shared grommet for less breaking. Then the mains will break first

Also lots of pro players BG80 or Aerobite, not a lot use Aerobite Boost

tjiew likes this.
  17. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Well, i add 0,6 kg (~1,3 lbs) normally. When the rackets comes out of the machine, the shape is good. But after playing a while, the shape gets more and more round. That is the main reason i add the 0,6 kg. On higher tensions (above 12 kg/~26 lbs) I add normally between 0,8 and 1 kg (~2 lbs). So I'm not too far away from the 10% "rule". There are some rackets (especially here in Germany) which have strange racket shapes. If you string them with +0,6 kg, they gets very narrow heads (Talbot Torro for example). Also if you string such a Talbot frame with 9/9,9 kg, I think the racket will break (during stringing or later in play) for sure. But the Talbot frames are bad anyway...
    But what I not do is to reduce the tension on the last 5 crosses. On some rackets the main hitting area is on crosses 6-9 from the top. So why to lower the tension at the last 5 mains? The only reason for me is, that the string last longer. But why not to string a little bit lower with all crosses the same? I think that will change the playability more than all crosses the same.

Double pulling the two last mains is normal for me for years. I never had breaks in the outer mains. The main reason I do this, that the string is not cutting into the frame.
    That is the procedure I tension the last two mains:
    If tension is <= 9 kg then hit the knot botton (+15%)
    If tension is > 9 kg and < 10,4 kg then go up to 10,4 kg
    If tension is => 10,4, then the given tension is the knot tension not more.

tjiew likes this.
  18. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    What i forgot to write. I always use 15% prestretch. Only if someone want without, I string without prestretch. But this happened only a few times. The most customers go down with the tension when they come to me. If you string with prestretch with the same tension than without, you get a shorter durability as in the video said. But it should be more or less the same if you go a little bit down.
    The main reason I began to string with prestretch was a constant result. With prestretch at 15% you have not to wait until the string is stretched. At 10% it still happens sometime. So if you string a racket on a tournament within ~15 minutes or at home within ~25 with a beer or wine in your hand, you get the same result.
    Also a lot of customers like that feeling.

tjiew likes this.
  19. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

This 10%-"rule" is just for Yonex rackets and only if the player writes just 1 number on the stringing sheet. E.g. you write 30, you get 30 on the mains, 33 on the crosses and 30 on the last 5 crosses.
    If a player writes something specific on the sheet, like 30/32, you do 30 on the mains and 32 on the crosses. So the last 5 crosses with 32 too.

With none Yonex rackets it is like with prestretch. So 1 up, 1 down.

thyrif and tjiew like this.
  20. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yes thank you for the clarification, this is what I understood, too.

Why the down/up for other brands? Are other brands constructed in another way, do they deform differently? Do all brands have very different stringing theories? Do Yonex stringing team at a tournament treat other manufacturers rackets with the same yonex rules or do they do down/up when not specified?