Badminton podcast with guests from the World Tour

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by AYearOnTour, May 1, 2020.

1. AYearOnTour

AYearOnTour Regular Member

Hi guys,

First of all thanks for all the comments about me in some sections of this community - I enjoyed reading both the nice and the not so nice ones - haha.

Since the start of 2020 I've been hosting a podcast called "A Year On Tour With Vittinghus" - which is a audio podcast that follows my life on the BWF World Tour for this entire year. I'm sharing everything from tactics, thoughts about my game, wins, disappointments, injuries, life on tour, other matches etc. Basically everything that goes on when you're a professional badminton player on tour.

Obviously there's not a lot of traveling going on at the moment, so right now I'm trying to invite more guests on the show, to keep it interesting for the listeners. I had Anders Skaarup on back in January and earlier this week I had Kashyap Parupalli on. The Parupalli episode can be found here. In my modest opinion Kashyap was an absolute star on the show, so I almost guarantee you'll find the episode fun and interesting.

I hope you'll give the podcast a try - and any feedback is more than welcome. Both postive and negative.

Thanks everyone - and stay safe in these troubling times.

All the best,
    HK Vittinghus
    https://vittinghus.podbean.com/

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Welcome!

A great initiative!!

AYearOnTour likes this.
  3. AYearOnTour

Newest episode of the podcast has World Tour commentator Steen Schleicher Pedersen as a guest!

You can listen to it on apple podcasts, spotify, podbean or basically any podcast player you use.

Suggestions for guests or any other feedback is more than welcome.

ant01 and LenaicM like this.
  4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Please try to bring in Gillian Clarke. Would love to listen to your podcast with her.

Tec07 and AYearOnTour like this.
  5. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Please bring VA and JoJ (hope you are getting used to the acronyms here. Quick question- what’s yours? )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AYearOnTour likes this.
  6. AYearOnTour

I'll try to get both on at some point, but also trying to avoid it's an all danish podcast, so they'll have to wait a while :)
    Haha well I would guess mine is HKV. Would make sense. Maybe even HKSV for some, but don't worry about the S - it's my wife's name and she is definitely not reading this forum... :D

mohans likes this.
  7. AYearOnTour

I'm very excited to share the latest episode of my podcast where I’m joined by Olympic Champion and two time world champion Tony Gunawan! ‬:)

‪It’s a can’t miss for any badminton fan! :D

Listen by clicking on your preferred link below or search for badminton, Vittinghus or A Year On Tour With Vittinghus on your podcast app.

Apple
    Spotify
    Podbean

Any feedback is always welcome! Hope you'll enjoy it.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Tony is an absolute gentleman.

AYearOnTour likes this.
  9. AYearOnTour

The three-time All England champion and 9-time Superseries winner, Tine Baun is my latest guest on A Year On Tour With Vittinghus, and she shares her views on several topics like:

• What is was like to finish her career by winning All England

• What motivated her to keep on going despite her major breakthrough not coming until the age of 28

• How she dealt with major disappointments and injury setbacks like a ruptured achilles tendon

• Why sparring with boys isn't always easy, but also can be a lot of fun

• What she would like to pass on to future generations
    and much, much more!

You can listen on iTunes, Spotify, Podbean or any other podcast app/platform.

Thanks for listening to those of you who do - and remember feedback is always welcome.

LenaicM, Sumanth99 and thyrif like this.
  10. AYearOnTour

In my latest podcast episode I talk to 3-time Olympian and 8-time Irish men's singles national champion Scott Evans, who opens up and lets us know everything about what it's like to move to a different country at the age of 16 to pursue your dream.

He also shares his biggest moments, just as he talks about the darker times and disappointments, that made his successes even more meaningful.

You'll even get to know about an experience Scott had, where the atmosphere was crazier than anything he ever tried before (which does include playing in Istora Senayan)!

Finally, Scott talks about the pros and cons of coming from a small badminton nation, both in relation to his time as a player, but also how he can use it to his advantage now as a coach.

All this and much more in this hour-long episode.

Listen on Apple/iTunes, Podbean, Spotify - or search for "A Year On Tour With Vittinghus" on your podcast app. :)

Hannibal127, Fidget and thyrif like this.
  11. AYearOnTour

Hi all,

The latest episode of "A Year On Tour With Vittinghus" features Indonesian doubles star Greysia Polii as a guest!

Greysia has been ranked top 10 in the world in women's doubles with 5 different partners through the years and has won loads of medals and titles at every level of the sport. But she is also very well know for her positive attitude and never-say-die attitude both on and off court.

In the episode Greysia gives us answers on:
    • How she and the rest of the Indonesian team has dealt with COVID-19 restrictions and training since returning home from All England
    • What kind of mindset she is using to deal with the uncertainty of upcoming events
    • How she has worked with her attitude through the years - and especially after the London Olympics disqualification
    • Her biggest secret on how it's been possible for her to form so many different successful partnerships
    • How her curiosity keeps her adding new skills to her repertoire (also off court)
    • Who her dream partner for XD would be
    • And much much more... :)
    Search for "A Year On Tour With Vittinghus" or click one of the links below to listen.

Podbean - Spotify - Apple

Enjoy!

Dangho and Sumanth99 like this.
  12. AYearOnTour

In the newest episode of my podcast Jan Ø. Jørgensen reveals why he actually hates that epic 108-shot rally against Tien Minh Nguyen at the World Championships in 2013! (Check it out on YouTube here) :eek:

We discuss Jan's recent decision to call an end to his international career later this year, but we talk even more about all of his big and historic wins over the past 10 years.

We also go into what Jan was maybe missing to be winning even more titles and how his game and playing style has evolved a lot throughout his career - and who he sees as his toughest opponent ever!

Jan also shares several fun stories from his many years on the tour and he finally reveals which of all the hairstyles he has had, is his favourite one! :D

Search for "A Year On Tour With Vittinghus" on your podcast app of click one of the links below to start listening:
    Apple/iTunes
    Spotify
    Podbean

Baddyforall and ant01 like this.
  13. AYearOnTour

Hi everyone,

I've just uploaded a new episode of "A Year On Tour With Vittinghus" - and this time Nathan Robertson, one of Englands biggest badminton personalities ever joins the podcast in an episode where you'll finally get the answer on whether winning Olympic silver or winning the World Championship gold is better!

Nathan also talks about his love/hate relationship with the All England, just as he's brutally honest on his own mentality as a player and how he's trying to pass on his knowledge to the current generation of English players.

Add in a couple of good stories as well and you're in for an entertaining and inspiring 55-minutes.

Available on all major podcast platforms - just search for A Year On Tour With Vittinghus or click one of the links below:

iTunes: https://apple.co/3iIrQhw
    Spotify: https://spoti.fi/35ZxRD5
    Podbean: https://lnkd.in/ekFCA_H

Hope you all like it :)

Baddyforall and Fidget like this.
  14. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Listened to some of these episodes recently and really enjoyed the content, steen is a great guest also really enjoyed that one in particular!
    Will give the latest a listen over the weekend.

For those that havent yet give these a listen, some really interesting stuff coming straight from the players themselves.

Good job hkv keep it up!

AYearOnTour likes this.
  15. AYearOnTour

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed them! Yes, Steen is indeed a great guest. I love talking to him, he's so knowledgeable about badminton and seems to have an interesting view/opinion about anything related to the sport. I'm sure I'll have him on as a guest again at some point.

Tec07 likes this.
  16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i enjoyed yesterday's podcast with christo popov of france. another point of view from another athlete from another country is always interesting.

france does indeed have a lot of potential but his comments about their fractured structure should make fans —and athletes— think about what 'team' actually means for professional badminton. is bwf's current team concept the correct framework for the sport? in addition to all of the other faulty bwf rules i've railed about the 'team' concept forces athletes & coaches to play 'team' politics. many athletes & coaches from every major asian/european/pan-am 'team' has been a victim of political 'team' decisions. this may very well hurt france in the future.

AYearOnTour likes this.
  17. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Thank you for your work with the podcast, it's greatly appreciated. I loved the episode with Steen, even though I thought there are so many interesting topics to talk about (future of the disciplines, MS in particular, with regards to emerging talent from around the world, specific approach for Denmark to get everything outside of MS back on track, and so on...). Then again, if you really started picking his brain on all things badminton, the episode probably would have been a couple of hours long.:D
    Maybe you can do another one in the future.

Good luck at the Denmark Open.

AYearOnTour likes this.
  18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Its very nice . I have just completed hearing jan o jorgensen ( i may be too lazy.. ).
    It was wonderful to hear his views about the badminton and even cricket.
    Hans, why not you try uploading this in YouTube in order to attract larger audience. Just my opinion. Is there any channel of yours already exists which I dont know ?.
    Your voice exactly matches Jan's. Hence I had to carefully hear it .
    At the end , was it correct that I heard something about jan and kidambi. Which was a news to me. I could not get it clearly. What happened between them?.

#18 Baddyforall, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    AYearOnTour likes this.
  19. AYearOnTour

Thanks! Great to hear you enjoyed it!

I'm 100% onboard with you the team concept not being the right one for badminton moving forward. I've advocated for this for many years - ever since I was part of the athletes commission 6-7 years ago. To make the next step I strongly believe we need to move towards a more individually based system, but I also understand it can't be done from one day to the other. The change is already happening in my eyes, but it's not being pushed by BWF, but by the players - and not at a high enough pace/rate to my liking. But that's for another discussion :D

20. AYearOnTour

Thanks for the feedback.
    Steen is an amazing guest. Picking his brain is just interesting every time I talk to him. He's so knowledgable, sometimes see things a bit diffenrently than most and not afraid of speaking his mind. I totally agree there's plenty of topics I could make interesting discussion with him about - and I promise I'll get him back on the podcast for more episodes at a later time. There's just so many interesting people I also would like to talk to! :D

Cunning Linguist likes this.