Does astrox series really produce steep smashes as advertised..??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sourabh001, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Sourabh001

Sourabh001 Regular Member

Does astrox series really produce steep smashes..???
    As advertised by yonex

2. Sourabh001

I’m looking for doubles racket , looking for a racket which has quality to produce steep smashes Looking for mid ranger racket (not 88 series and 99)
    I’m using ldf now

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

How should i explain this.....
    If you had good technique & strength any racket would give you step smash, powerfull smash, or whatever smash you want to be. Switching racket will just need little time to adjust/adapt.

Back to racket.
    Voltric vs Astrox.
    Both are head heavy class.
    Voltric - most the head weight is on the head, on 2, 6, & 10 oclock. Thus makes it very powerfull as it create big swing force
    Astrox - the weight is distributed in top, T-joint, & grip. Doing so making it much easier to manouver but not to much leaving the power aspect behind.

So, with that voltric have more punch but its not easy to put the head down coz of the weight. Other hand Astrox is easier to put the head down for stepper shot as its more manouverable but won be a big hitter as Voltric.

So, technically it will give you stepper smash but if your technique is not good, i guest whatever the racket it wont give you any improvement. Afterall racket only give small improvement like 10%. But again 10% of 10 & 10% of 100 is big different, so if your technique is bad, 10% boost is very insignificant but if your technique is perfectly shaped then 10% is massive boost.

4. Sourabh001

Hello
    I know all these things
    Is it a upgrade over voltric series ..??
    I can produce good smashes from ldf but sometimes they can go out on back line due to extra punch , I wanted this extra punch in downward direction
    I know racket matters is only 10%.
    still in a competitive game 10% matters
    I have tried astrox 99 didn’t like the feeling
    I felt voltric series is more solid and uniform across board

thank u

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Cant say for sure, tho technically yes as Astrox easier to manouver yet little loss on power aspect compare to Voltric.

Before than maybe you want to review your technique 1st. My old mistake, sometimes i forgot & put my racket down thus makes a very long preparation from bottom to up for having hard smash. Its still hard punch but rarely going down in step angle. I fix those bad habbit & put my racket always ready around my hip. Having earlier preparation, it easier for me to put down a smash.
    Or maybe (just my tought) you couldnt handle the weight of your racket? Which LDF do u use? 3U/4U. Have you try lighter racket or balance racket? If that the case, you could get lighter racket or do some muscle training instead.

6. Sourabh001

I use ldf 4u , I really enjoy solid feeling of it
    My technique is also good ( not pro level)
    Maybe because I want to hit as hard as possible and fast becz of that steepness May be missing
    Maybe I’m too much focusing on power aspect than steepness
    Not really tried even balanced racket thinking they can’t produce good smashes
    Muscle training is good option combined with better technique

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

if you had a coach, im sure he can guide you to fix those, if not maybe instead of racket why not hire a coach for yourself.
    Or other option ask your friend to feed you doing smash repeatly while also record it in video. You can watch yourself of what you did wrong or create a thread here ask for other opinion about your technique.

Im also had bad habbit that i didnt even realize im doing it. I kinda unconciously love to spin my racket & when my friend told me, i feel like what??? I didnt do that...
    That makes my hitting unstabble as the racket face can end in many different way when i stop spinning.

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    The steepness of the smash is literally the combination of distance to the net and the height of contact. You will get steeper smashs with higher contact point and hitting more infront of you. No need to buy something because it won't do it for you.

dnewguy, michael5098, s_mair and 4 others like this.
  9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

A head heavy racket could give the impression it helps in producing steeper smashes, especially if one is coming from a neutral or head light balanced racket but I totally agree with you, it's not going to fix anything. Higher contact point + hitting in front is the key. And I'd add that to be able to do so, the player has to be in position early, meaning have fast footwork and/or stop smashing when late to the shuttle.

So yes, no racket will essentially produce steeper smashes.

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there

Maybe a lot of our BC friends here has given their views about your issue. First of all, Voltric LDF is a one hell of a great racket. One of the best I've ever tried imho. Yonex won't named it Lin Dan Force for nothing. But then, a player must understand, how great or popular that racket is, it's just a tool. In your case, it can't produce steep smashes for you. It's you that need to do that smash. If not done correctly then you won't produce the quality of smash that you wanted. Therefore you need to reacess back all your approach and techniques when executing a smash. You won't solve your problems by changing rackets.

Despite you might think that you know how to smash but when the quality of your smashes has deteriorate, that's when you need to reaccess and improve back all the necessary approach and techniques involved through continous training. That's goes as well to world class player. They will go back to the basic and reaccess what's wrong. They themselves don't change their racket.

If your smashes are not steep then there are 3 important facts that you need to improve in sequence

- ensure you're behind the shuttle always. This for you to have a better view of your hitting zone. Never.... never..... let the shuttle pass you.
    - address the shuttle at it's hitting zone (roughly 45 degree in front of your view). If you have difficulties to position yourself to view this then train to move one step backwards when doing your smashing training
    - during contact, snap your wrist together with a continuous downward follow through swinging motion. This will help to produce the angle for better smashing steepness.

If your first sequence is not done correctly then you won't (esp the 3rd sequence) executed correctly as well.

Sometimes people will advice when doing your forehand smashing, you need to hit the shuttle at it's highest point. Indeed that's correct BUT when since the shuttle trajectory is within your line of eyesight, the highest point can be anywhere from the area of your hitting zone till to above your head or beyond. If you go and hit the shuttle when it's already above your head, despite you've address it at it's highest point but that is not your hitting zone. Your smash will definitely end flat because there is less downward motion done from your swings to produce that required angle. All the best to you

SS

11. Sourabh001

Not really coach but can definitely ask friend to feed shuttle for practice

12. Sourabh001

Great
    Thanks

shooting stroke likes this.
  13. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

so if we go back to the main topic. Is the astrox series produces steep smashes as advertised, assuming the user has a great technique?

14. shooting stroke

User has correct smashing technique + user can find racket with specifications that fits ideally with his preferences = can execute steep smashes regardless of whatever brand including astrox series.

15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

i can do steeper smash just by fixing my technique better & with the same racket.

But if you already had a steep smash assuming you had great technique, then steeper than what it is will be struck the net i guest.

16. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

so it doesn't make one's smash steeper compared to any other series and/or brand assuming the user has great technique.

so the answer is no.

#16 Rommel Alastra, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  17. pughon

pughon Regular Member

I think the question is: If same player using same technique (swing, power, angle) using Astrox and other racket, is Astrox producing steeper smash?

IMHO, Yonex stated steeper, that means it is somehow steeper. Probably they have some swinging machine to apply same smashes to compare.

But wait... steeper.. for how much?

2.3° tested with AX99. Of course they show the best result, other rackets could be less. I am not so sure if this angle is significant in professional playing.

Here is the conversation from Yonex:
    "YY Marketing: So what do you have for us this time?
    YY R&D: We have developed a new racket that has steeper smash..
    YY Marketing: Great, let call it Astrox.
    YY R&D: ..but only 2.3° steeper.
    YY Marketing: Dont worry, leave it to us."
    :rolleyes:

#17 pughon, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  18. shooting stroke

Indeed. The same answer which I explained in my earlier reply.

19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

How should i say it.....
    Let me try to use example instead.
    My lovely TK770, 99gr, 304/306BP (abit forgot).
    NF700, 4U, head light (tho i feel it more on balance side). Idk the actual spec as its my friend racket that i had a taste for short time.
    I know its totally the opposite & not even close each other, but thats my point.

TK770
    As its heavy itself & head heavy at the same time, it create massive swing weight to give me a very powerfull & deadly smash. But due to the heaviness its not easy to perform rapid & repeat smash. On the back i can unleash my deadly thunderous smash but going to the mid, its not easy to steepen my smash unleash i can fully read my opponent shot direction & have full preparation to anticipate it. Most of the time, the choice would be flat drive war or stick smash if i want to play power shot. & forget the front area as its way to fast & to heavy for having full preparation for full smash.

NF700
    The opposite of my TK770, on back court it feel less powerfull for full smash as it create low swing weight (or im not that good, well im no pro so pls spare me:D). Going to mid court, as its quite light its easy to do repeat full smash with good steep angel. At least my sparing friend got overwhelmed & surprise with my mid court steep angel smash.

Then if you read many other comment comparing 88D & LDF, many will say LDF pack more punch but 88D easier to manouver.

So, with Astrox trait Rotation System, it will be easier to do steep smash as its more manouverable. But due to small different (unlike my example TK770 VS NF700), how would you gain more steepness is something argueable.

Some with best technique would find its easier with Astrox but they will also able to perform the steepness using different racket with some little adjustment & adaptation. But some other that didnt have good technique will say its all the same.
    10% of 10 vs 10% of 100 = 1 vs 10

20. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    don't know what you're talking about-- astrox made my smashes so steep, goes into the net every time. yonex overengineered this they need to scale it back a bit.